Reached my goal weight.. now what?

Options
Hello everyone! I just had a few questions so that I can continue my fittness journey. I reached my goal weight of 110 from being 117-118. I'm 19 years old and 5'2. Now that I reached my goal weight, my plan was to cut back on cardio, and to still do the strength training I was doing orginally. I did 30 minutes of cardio and 10 minutes of BODY WEIGHT strength training. Now I am going to do 10 minutes cardio, and still 10 minutes strength training. The strength training is a full body, body weight workout. I'm also planning on switching my calories to maintain instead of lose. My goal is to start toning my body so that I look more lean, sminny, tighter stomach, and strong. I will be working out m-f for a total of 20 minutes. Will my plan help me reach my goal? If not please let me know what I can do, thanks!

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Why only 10 minutes of strength training. I'm by no means an expert on weight lifting, but i'm not sure you'd be able to accomplish much in 10 minutes.. Same with the cardio. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance and find a progressive strength training program to work on your body composition.

As @Christine_72 stated, you may not be able to accomplish too much in 10 mins.

Do you have gym access?
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Do the happy dance!
  • momoisgorgeousss
    momoisgorgeousss Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm only doing 10 minutes of cardio because I don't want to burn any fat, or muscle anymore, but keep up my cardio to a healthy weight. And I'm only doing 10 minutes of strength training because I'm not wanting to look like a body builder, I don't want a physic like that, I just want me stomach, legs, back, etc tighter
  • janekana
    janekana Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Look at the goal maintenance board, they have tips and advice (probably more than looking through this board).
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights isn't going to make you bulky. Let's get that out of the way first.

If you want your stomach and legs to get 'tighter', then you're going to have to do some sort of resistance training. Body weight is fine but perhaps look into an established progressive program that gets you stronger and gets more difficult as time goes on.

You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    It takes hours of training, special supplementation, dedication, etc to look like a body builder. It doesn't just happen.

You could work out for an hour 5 times a week and still not look bulky or like a bodybuilder.

But yeah check out the "goal: maintenance" board for tips & info

• momoisgorgeousss
    momoisgorgeousss Posts: 40 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    This is just me starting out my strength training, I was planning on doing longer, and harder as the workouts get easier for me. I will look at the other page. Thanks!
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    With ultra serious dedication, and some questionable "supplements", would be the only way to look like a body builder. For the mass majority of women, you will never look like one. Even if you lifted and worked out your muscles every single day, you would just have a nice tight firm body with some nice definition, but no where near what you are thinking.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    not sure what your motivation is for doing less exercise now you're at goal weight?

if you want to 'tone' you need to lose more bodyfat, so either eat at a small deficit, or do recomp.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Cutting cardio by 2/3 is going to require you to eat less at maintenance than you would if you kept up the 30 minutes. Just keep that in mind.

You will get nothing done, strength-wise, in 10 minutes. Do not worry about looking like a bodybuilder. The look you are thinking of takes years of muscle building and low low bodyfat levels. I lift between 3 and 5 hours a week and you can see from my pictures that I do not look like a competitive bodybuilder.

If it were me, I'd keep 30 min of cardio 3x/wk and start a full body strength training program. Strong Curves is a great book that has 4 programs in it, one of which is a full body bodyweight program. I'd suggest checking it out. There is a link on my profile page. (No, I am not selling anything.)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I'm only doing 10 minutes of cardio because I don't want to burn any fat, or muscle anymore, but keep up my cardio to a healthy weight. And I'm only doing 10 minutes of strength training because I'm not wanting to look like a body builder, I don't want a physic like that, I just want me stomach, legs, back, etc tighter

Or you could do the same amount of cardio and eat a little more...

(And, like everyone else said, more than 10 minutes of strength training.)
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

lol...first time I've heard that more than 10 minutes of weights turns you into a bodybuilder! if only it were that easy!
  • SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Everyone on here is right! The cardio part is up to you if you want to keep it going for cardio vascular health or if you need it to maintain your calories. Heavy lifting is not going to make you bulky it will grow you a nice booty though
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Congrats on reaching your goal!

Definitely listen to everyone above.. I would follow a strength training program and get the idea out of your head that lifting heavy will make you bulky. I am actually bulking (and have bulked before) and I don't think I am buff or look like a bodybuilder.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    When will people learn that if you lift weights (especially women) you will not just miraculously build muscle.

*unless you take drugs
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Just keep what you were originally doing if you like the results it gave you, and just eat more food so you aren't losing anymore.