Loosing weight but stomach is growing?

Options
I started at 197 in July and am now at 165, my waist was at a 45 in July and then went down to a 36. For the last 2 weeks I've noticed that my stomach has seemed a bit bigger but thought that it was just an illusion due to other parts of my body shrinking but then I decided to measure it and it has gone up to a 41... I'm not pregnant! And my diet has been good. I'm also not due to get period blotation for another two weeks. Does anyone have a similar problem or know what's going on here??? (If it matters I do exercise, 2 cardio days a week and 4 weight training a week)

Replies

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Are you having any other gastrointestinal symptoms that might suggest a dietary intolerance?
  • carriemariebrigham
    Options
    Having same proble, however, I take insulin and on steroids. Any advice will help. Also doing Yoga.
  • kelhea
    kelhea Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    None that I'm aware of :/
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    could be bloating/inflammation of some sort in the guts. Hard to say really.
  • janekana
    janekana Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Do you feel sick at all? Have you been having trouble going to the toilet?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Water retention, bloating, constipation, any number of things can cause that. Its on the scale of a week or two....it will pass. You didn't just slap on 5 inches of fat overnight. Your good, just realize that those sorts of fluctuations happen and continue.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Are you SURE you are not pregnant? Go ahead pee on a stick.

Otherwise when was your last bowel movement? Try some warm prune juice about 4 oz (125ml) just microwave it for 45 seconds or so.

And always measure waist using boney landmarks- like the top of your pelvis (your Anterior superior Iliac crest) Y. Measuring over your bellybutton is inaccurate. It will move as your belly changes and results vary.
  • carlhuitt
    carlhuitt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you feel it is internal see a doctor. A fibroid cyst could cause distention and not always be painful. May need an abdominal ultrasound to be sure it's nothing.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you have increased your fiber intake (fruits and vegetables) over the past few weeks. If so, this is a pretty common first response. Otherwise it could be an intolerance, water retention, and more.

I say give it a few weeks to see what happens. Increase your water intake in the meantime.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Having same proble, however, I take insulin and on steroids. Any advice will help. Also doing Yoga.

Insulin and steroids will be the cause then.