HRM for jogging

Options
So I'm looking at getting into jogging and would like to train up and improve endurance to eventually run a marathon. I'm a very data and goal orientated person so I am looking into a HRM. I would like something that would also work on the treadmill - so far I am considering the M400 with a Bluetooth footpod (around £160) and the TomTom Spark 3 Cardio (£170).

Can anyone help me decide between the two, or pick a more suitable watch around that price range?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I would stretch the budget a bit and go for a Garmin FR235, generally superior to both of those for GPS tracking quality and for the available running dynamics.

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    The Polar M400 with a foot pod will do well with indoor treadmill running. The M400 also does well outside. The H7 HRM that can be bought with the M400 is an excellent monitor. That, along with the foot pod, can provide you all the data you need and at a lower price than the Garmin FR235.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I'd get a Garmin, which is easy to say because I have one. I like the Running Dynamics; for a novice runner like me, having measures of how much bounce in your step versus how much forward motion you get from each step can be useful for improving your running efficiency.
  • _NMW
    _NMW Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I can't really justify the price of the FR235 (£220+) at the minute - maybe when I am able to run further and have more confidence and look to really push my training for marathons. The price of the M400 + the footpod is already more than I wanted to spend ideally - I didn't budget in the footpod when I first started looking at thought the M400 was a good price, until I found out it needed a footpod for treadmills.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin 225 which I LOVE, if that helps at all!
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    _NMW wrote: »
    I can't really justify the price of the FR235 (£220+) at the minute - maybe when I am able to run further and have more confidence and look to really push my training for marathons. The price of the M400 + the footpod is already more than I wanted to spend ideally - I didn't budget in the footpod when I first started looking at thought the M400 was a good price, until I found out it needed a footpod for treadmills.

I can understand that, I'm considering an upgrade to the FR630 at the moment and it's a stretch to justify spending the money at the moment. I'm waiting for now.

In terms of the brands, Polar are OK but the GPS solution is a bit mediocre. As they're roughly the same price point I'd say that would be your better option. TomTom are a bit meh all round. They do reasonable kit but it's nothing special.

Your other option if budget is an issue is to go back a generation or two. The Forerunner 310XT with a footpod will set you back about £130 and perfectly adequate for marathon training.

What I would say is, as you're in UK, why bother with a treadmill focus? If you want to run marathons then you'll have to put in a lot of running outside in the real world.
  • _NMW
    Options
    _NMW wrote: »

I can understand that, I'm considering an upgrade to the FR630 at the moment and it's a stretch to justify spending the money at the moment. I'm waiting for now.

In terms of the brands, Polar are OK but the GPS solution is a bit mediocre. As they're roughly the same price point I'd say that would be your better option. TomTom are a bit meh all round. They do reasonable kit but it's nothing special.

Your other option if budget is an issue is to go back a generation or two. The Forerunner 310XT with a footpod will set you back about £130 and perfectly adequate for marathon training.

What I would say is, as you're in UK, why bother with a treadmill focus? If you want to run marathons then you'll have to put in a lot of running outside in the real world.

Thanks for the reply :) the treadmill tracking is just whilst I build up stamina - I'm in pretty bad shape at the minute and a bit self-conscious of running outside - plus it's a warmer retreat for the winter :) I'll have a look at the 310XT.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    For the first 18 months of running I just used my phone with Runkeeper, then Endomondo. I didn't bother with a dedicated GPS util I was about half way through my cycle for my first half marathon. If you're dreadmilling for the winter then that should probably do you. Where you are justnow the machine itself will give you as much data as you need.

I was quite overweight when I started and what I fairly quickly realised was that people don't really see you. Other runners will generally just respect the fact that you're out there, and non-runners don't matter. Essentially someone who sees you has no idea whether you're on day one of C25K or at the end of a 20 mile training run.

High viz, and a head-torch will do the trick.
  • _NMW
    Options
    For the first 18 months of running I just used my phone with Runkeeper, then Endomondo. I didn't bother with a dedicated GPS util I was about half way through my cycle for my first half marathon. If you're dreadmilling for the winter then that should probably do you. Where you are justnow the machine itself will give you as much data as you need.

I was quite overweight when I started and what I fairly quickly realised was that people don't really see you. Other runners will generally just respect the fact that you're out there, and non-runners don't matter. Essentially someone who sees you has no idea whether you're on day one of C25K or at the end of a 20 mile training run.

High viz, and a head-torch will do the trick.

I recently switched from an Android phone to Windows... which in certain cases I regret as I don't have as many useful apps, however it is useful for business documents. I don't have access to MFP app or Runkeeper, MapMyRun, etc on it :/
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options