19 and overweight

Options
Hey guys :-)
So like the subject says, I'm 19 (20 in August), 6"5, 85kg and want to be in the 60kg range.
I'm useless at this dieting thing and have only just started using my fitness pal today.
Me and my boyfriend are busy paying off our mortgage and car repayments so money is short at the moment,
I can't help but feel like eating healthy is more expensive than eating crap?
Hopefully i can find some cheap and very healthy recipes (if you can help, please please please let me know!)
I'm hoping to meet some nice people on here to help keep me motivated and in return i of course will do the same :-)
Thanks for reading!

Haylee

Replies

• minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hey veggies are definitely cheaper but you do need to be more organised.. I plan like salads and the maybe add some cold meats to it and make a wrap for lunch the next day with the left over salad supplies.. I wish you all the best with the start of your journey :)
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Do a weekly menu and just buy those ingredients you need. We find markets [in UK] are the best options for fruit and veg.

Also, soups are great when dieting or on a tight budget - I can make 5 litres of fresh veg stock (base of most of my soups) for £1.
  • mrowrmeowmrowr
    mrowrmeowmrowr Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    When I'm at school, money is tight because I pay for all my bills. I still manage to eat healthy by checking out grocery ads and meticulously planning my shopping trip.

Stock up on brown rice, tuna, beans, and frozen meat products in bulk.
  • Eloveg
    Eloveg Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi Haylee,

I find that veggies are not that expenseive. I use fresh and frozen. I try to catch them when they are on sale. I also like fruits....like apples, oranges, etc. You can cut them up & put lemon juice on them to prevent from turning brown. Also oranges, you can peel and break into sections.

Get tuna in water and chicken when it is on sale. Buy the big bag of rice and cook a pot. You should be able to stretch these things out and eat good & healthy food. You can make stir-fry's with the veggie & meat to go with the rice or put into wraps.

Good Luck! You can do it!
  • princessekrystale
    Options
    I have a question ...
    You said you're 85 kgs and 6 ft 5 ... which puts you in the normal range with a 22.2 BMI.
    Was that just a mistake or???
  • Qhoney24
    Qhoney24 Posts: 31
    Options
    Hey Girl i just read you posting and i know what you mean about once you convert over to eating right the price just seem to increase lol... But for me to find ways to eat right on a budget aka BALLA BUDGET ;) Everything i eat i cook for a week when i have time. But depending on the store you stop at matters also. Pasta (whole wheat), Poultry( Chicken), Veggies and fruit is all you really need. If there is a market you can hit up for fruits and veggies will save you money. Beef cost so find another protein in tuna packs or chicken. My fav meal is fish and chicken.. I eat alot of Indian food so i play with my food when cooking, i google most of what i cook and alter them. Like Chicken Vegetable Jalfrezi, that is chicken of course, curry, onions, peppers and the sauce can be purchased at the store, indian rice or couscous. Really the whole concept is learning to piece together a meal with what you have infront of you. Like breakfast can be eggs and oj or oatmeal with banana. When i was a flight attendant tuna packs, peanut butter, bananas, oatmeal and spinach was my friend....Start buying the off brand if you dont already bc it is just the same. Eating Salads is a cheap was also but it depends on what you like and dont like eating, strink that belly to consume less by eating salads with every main meal. Just let me know what you like to eat food wise and i can come up with a cheap way for you getting crackin in the kitchen to help out, so you to can be a BALLA ON A BUDGET lol.. Good luck with this adventure :)
  • hayleebaylee16
    Options
    Wow thank-you so much for all the replies! :-) And such good advice too.
    The BALLA BUDGET sounds fantastic Qhoney24 :-D haha. I'll take all of your advice and go with it and hope for the best :-)
  • hayleebaylee16
    Options
    Oops! Very much a mistake. I am 5"5.