Has anyone had weight loss surgery????? I need some loser bench friends

Options
How are you using mfp to help you reach your goals????

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I can be of any help at all. I had Lapband surgery a few years ago but had to have it removed. It did not work for me. But I can understand what you are going through if that's the type of surgery you had. One of the hardest things for me was being able to eat vegetables because they always stuck. Since removing my band I have lost 65 pounds. I did it with MFP just eating healthier and exercising. I can make a few suggestions if this is the type of surgery you have had. Message me if you want to talk about it. I might be able to make a few suggestions. If you had gastric bypass I wouldn't be of much help since I have no experience with that surgery.
  • Adbrown1956
    Adbrown1956 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have the gastric sleeve. And because I'm not able to eat as much it's so hard for me to get the calorie intake in!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass surgery almost three years ago and lost 125#. I had both knees replaced after that. I now maintain the loss using MFP and Fitbit. I do weight resistance training, treadmill and or water aerobics five to six days per week. Sunday is my day off. I'll turn 67 on November 5th. Never thot I could do it at this age.

Good luck.
  • Adbrown1956
    Options
    Wow!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I understand the frustration. I was a person who ate alot of sugar so of course the lapband didn't stop me from eating those things. You are probably going to have to eat 6 small meals a day and try to focus on high nutrition things that don't add bulk. Have you considered using a palatable protein powder? I FINALLY found one I could stomach. You might have to take it in half amounts because even though it's liquid it would still be filling. It's sold here in Canada at Walmart and is the Whey protein Isolate (Six Star Elite Series). They sell two different ones so be careful. The right one (here anyway) is 150 calories per scoop. It is also more expensive than the other one :-( But It's the only one I have ever been able to swallow and it has no sugar in it. I use the chocolate one with lots of ice, a teaspoon or more of PB2 powder and half of a banana. Put it in a magic bullet if you have one a blender if not and whip it to death. It's like a choclate, banana peanut butter milkshake. It doesn't make me gag like all the other ones. The banana might be too much for you but maybe cut the whole recipe in half. It is really filling and healthy and you will get the protein that is so hard to get when you can't eat much. I also made alot of soup when I first had my surgery and depending on what you are trying to do you can get your vegetables that way. I just cook them until soft then blend the whole thing up. For me I had to get past that band so it was vital to make every swallow small. You may not have that issue.
  • Adbrown1956
    Options
    Thank you so much Cheryl I really appreciate your advice.
  • alyssacloset
    alyssacloset Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the Vsg on 10/17/16
  • mirandaperry2005
    Options
    I had laprascopic sleeve done July 26, 2016.