What saves you from a relapse?

Options
Hello, I am an emotional eater and every not so great day that I have, I want to eat. In that very moment, I get this 'screw it' attitude. This is what has always put my weight loss goals to a hault. I'm stubborn and I tell myself I deserve this damn cupcake cause I had a terrible day and in that moment stop caring all together. When you get this way, what stops you? How does the angel on your right shoulder tell the devil on your left shoulder no?

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am an emotional eater and every not so great day that I have, I want to eat. In that very moment, I get this 'screw it' attitude. This is what has always put my weight loss goals to a hault. I'm stubborn and I tell myself I deserve this damn cupcake cause I had a terrible day and in that moment stop caring all together. When you get this way, what stops you? How does the angel on your right shoulder tell the devil on your left shoulder no?

1). How long have you been an emotional eater?
    2). What happens BEFORE you have the screw it attitude?
    3). What would you rather happen instead of the screw it attitude.
    4). When will you decide to believe that the devil and angel don't exist?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    My figure and my health

And 30 years of yo yo dieting when I wasn't wasn't confident in either
  • Carchick94
    Carchick94 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    Vanity.

The older I've got the more successful I've become. The more successful I have become the less physically vain I become. The less physically vain I've become the fatter I've become.

That said, I seem to have a natural weight gain maximum cut off switch at 10-12lbs above my normal range before "You've got to be kidding me, lose some weight fool" vanity kicks in no matter what.

Hmm.. That's actually a good one. Thanks
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I tell myself no, and fight the urge.

Sometimes, on the really bad days, I give in and eat the thing I'm wanting, even if I'm over my goal for the day. And I pick myself back up the next day and move ahead. I don't have the stress/emotional eating thing figured out fully, but I've figured it out enough to understand that for me, some days are just give-in days.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Having a plan so I know why it actually does matter that I stay on plan (and being able to adjust logically if I screw up so I don't decide that I overate for the day so might as well go nuts). Having a plan about other ways to deal with stress (this is the most important, but sometimes hard for me to implement). For a while it worked really well to force myself to journal a bit about why I wanted to eat before I'd make a decision -- sounds dumb, but it forced me to be mindful and usually worked and I should get back to it. Channeling the thoughts in a positive direction (for example, I feel bad and want to reward myself with food resulted in thoughts about cool fun new things I could try making for dinner that would be within my calorie and nutrition goals or a new lower cal dessert to try or some such). Also, just learning that you don't need to stifle any emotional discomfort immediately -- learn to sit with it, that you can handle it, lean into the discomfort is a phrase I picked up recently that I like.

There's an emotional eating group here I keep meaning to spend more time on, maybe posting there could be helpful too, when you are feeling bad/like eating in a way you'd rather not.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    You can still have the cupcake- just don't have 10. If you stay within your calorie goals you can have comfort food without sacrificing weight loss efforts.

You can also do what I do... exercise. It's a great stress reliever! Much better than food in my opinion. Go do a kick *kitten* full body weight lifting session. Go run some sprint intervals. Go for a hike.

Get out of the house and out of your head, move your body. Listen to some great music. You'll feel much better- it's like meditation.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I'd just have the cupcake if I really wanted it and cut back somewhere else. I haven't relapsed (so far) because I simply don't ever want to have to lose that much weight again. I don't mind dieting to drop 10 lbs or so every so often but I'm still pretty angry with myself for letting it get so out of control.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    All the above are good sound advice. I do not know that I was ever an emotional eater, but what I have learned is that food is not good or bad. I can have pretty much anything I want, although I dont. I dont allow myself to feel bad if I eat a hamburger or a piece of cake. If I am going to eat something that is pretty high in calories, I actually think about it few days. Sometimes I realize that it is not worth the calories and I keep it pushing. Other times, I decide that I really want it, but I still keep track of what and how much I am eating.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Portion control and a kitchen timer, if I'm at home. Life sucks and I want a pan of brownies? Eat one, log it, set a timer for 20 minutes before I can eat more. Same with a serving of chips or ice cream or whatever.

I also try to redirect with exercise - taking a walk instead of a snack really helps me cut down on bored-eating.

Writing down a list of costs if I'm out. Along with a list of things I'd rather get with the money I'd spend on impulse junk. Those $3 soft serve pretzels equal half a book on Amazon, or a start on a new pair of jeans.
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't tell myself "No"-- I just tell myself, "In moderation". :smiley:

Too easy to get caught up in some inane mental argument about how food-- which is inherently incapable of being either "good" or "bad"-- is, well, good or bad. Food's food; it's what you do with it that counts.

If you give in and eat something that puts you outside of whatever range you're trying to stay within, eat light the rest of the day (lots of vegetables and lean proteins or just smaller portions) and drink lots of water. Every time you stick something in your mouth, you are starting over. Don't get caught up in that mental game of "Well, I already ate this today, so eating like this the rest of the day won't hurt-- I'll try again tomorrow." You have to love yourself enough to try again every single time the opportunity arises.