I'm (kinda) new and confused

Options
I've been here before. LOVE it...but felt guilty being here when I fell off the wagon. So I'm back and going to try harder then ever.
I'm 21 years old, and a mother of 2 youngsters! So if you are a young mama, just young, just a mama...any combination...as long as you are in this to win this (guys, gals...it doesnt matter!)...lets do this together!

What am I confused about? My early morning news is talking about 8 glasses of water being "not so good for you". I don't understand. I've actually heard that you REALLY need half of your body weight in ounces. For example, a 200 pound person, would need 100 ounces. So if 8 glasses (64 oz) is "bad" the. 100 ounces is REALLY bad? They said there was a study on this. They say water does not aid in weight loss. "The current evidence, is that there is no evidence. 2.5 pints is more reasonably"
So I posted on their very active facebook page asking for a link to the study about an hour ago- and they haven't replied to it yet.
Anyways...HOW is water bad?

I can just see this "study" being used as an excuse for kids/teens, or even adults, to say "Hey! I don't need to drink water!"
Thoughts please? (And friend requests from the committed members!)

Replies

• HankFit247
    HankFit247 Posts: 139
    Options
    Forget what you heard on the TV. Now get up and start moving.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The required water is total intake, of which a lot comes in through your food. Most of the things you eat contain very large amounts of water anyway.

Follow your gut. If you find yourself getting thirsty a lot, drink more pre-emptively. If you aren't thirsty, then you're taking in adequate amounts of water already.
  • ywolfie
    ywolfie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you're doing workouts as well, but it's important to replace your body with the water lost during your exercise routine. Your body is comprised of mainly water so how can that be bad for you?
  • MeganJo
    MeganJo Posts: 69
    Options
    Don't listen to a word that news channel said. In my personal training studies, we learned that 96 oz of water a day is what is recommended for everyone and then for every 25 lbs a person is overweight they need an additional 8 oz. If you are working out it should be very easy to attain the 96 oz goal. Also, water helps speed up your metabolism, can keep "hunger" at bay and allows your body to absorb all the nutrients it needs from food. It DEFINITELY aids in weight loss and overall health.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask, I'm always here =] Good luck!
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    This is the opinion of ONE researcher.

A researcher in Scotland has published an article stating there is no reliable evidence to support the widespread belief that we should be drinking more water to promote good health.

THE LINK:
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/health/nhs-daily-water-drinking-advice-is-debunked-1.1111786?localLinksEnabled=false

THE FULL TEXT (so you don't have to subscribe to the Herald Scotland to read the article)

NHS advice to drink eight glasses of water a day is “nonsense”, according to an article published in the British Medical Journal.

Dr Margaret McCartney, who is based in Glasgow, claims there is no reliable evidence to support the widespread belief that we should be drinking more water to promote good health.

Her comments are published today in response to the annual meeting of the Hydration for Health initiative, held in Evian, France, last week.

Hydration for Health was established by French food giant Danone, which produces Evian and Volvic bottled waters, and has a mission statement promising “to establish healthy hydration as an integral part of public health nutritional guidelines and routine patient counselling so people can make informed choices”.

In the article, Dr McCartney, a GP at the Fulton Street Medical Centre in Anniesland, states the evidence upon which the initiative’s advice is based is lacking quality.

The NHS Choices website advises people to “try to drink about six to eight glasses of water (or other fluids) a day to prevent dehydration”.

However, Dr McCartney said: “This is not only nonsense, but is thoroughly debunked nonsense.”

In 2010, the British Bottled Water Producers’ industry report put bottled water consumption at 33 litres annually per person.

A Scottish Government spokesman said: “Advice here in Scotland on the drinking of water is based on benefits of that compared to beverages such as fizzy, sugary, caffeinated drinks.”
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Water as a weight loss tool has been "debunked" many times. But like many medical myths that doesn't mean that drinking more water won't help you lose weight if you stop drinking high calorie or high sodium drinks in in favor of drinking more water. It may also help if you believe it will help (the power of suggestion), or if you simply weren't getting enough. When you think of drinking water though you should think about all the fluids you consume whether plain water, juice, soda, etc. It's all mostly water.

But drinking 64 oz. of fluid a day is not bad for you. But drinking more than that won't do you much good either, and drinking excessive amounts can sometimes be harmful.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what study you heard - but too much water can be bad if it is all you are drinking and it flushes all of the nutirents, sodium and electrolytes out of your system. I usually drink 8-10 glass of water a day but I also keep track of activity level. If it is a very hot day and I am being active I will be sure to drink a short Gatorade or Powerade in the middle of the day so that I am not flushing all my electrolytes out of my system. When I did the Susan G. Komen NY walk marathon I used the formula for every 2 bottles of water I would drink 1 bottle of Gatorade. You need to gauge how you are feeling. If you are doing a lot of activity and are drinking plenty of water but still feel lightheaded or off you should probably find a Gatorade or Powerade or something like that. Hope this helps.

Also, good luck on your return.
  • Qhoney24
    Qhoney24 Posts: 31
    Options
    i AGREE WITH THEM... I DRINK 3-4 1LITERS A DAY.. I WORKOUT 6 TIMES A DAY NOW AND I STAY DRY MOUTH BCAUSE I SWEAT OUT AND PEE OUT ALL OF IT.. TRUST ME IT MATTERS ON HOW MUCH WATER YOU DRINK BC MY TONGUE ACTUALLY TINGLES WHEN I NEED MORE WATER TILL I AM SATISFIED.. GIRL DRINK THAT WATER ON WHATEVER OZ YOUR BODY CALL FOR. I REALLY DONT WATCH MUCH TV TO BUSY SWEATING IN THE GYM LOL.. SORRY FOR THE CAPS.. CHEERS!
  • LtAngela
    LtAngela Posts: 35
    Options
    I've been here before. LOVE it...but felt guilty being here when I fell off the wagon. So I'm back and going to try harder then ever.
    I'm 21 years old, and a mother of 2 youngsters! So if you are a young mama, just young, just a mama...any combination...as long as you are in this to win this (guys, gals...it doesnt matter!)...lets do this together!

What am I confused about? My early morning news is talking about 8 glasses of water being "not so good for you". I don't understand. I've actually heard that you REALLY need half of your body weight in ounces. For example, a 200 pound person, would need 100 ounces. So if 8 glasses (64 oz) is "bad" the. 100 ounces is REALLY bad? They said there was a study on this. They say water does not aid in weight loss. "The current evidence, is that there is no evidence. 2.5 pints is more reasonably"
    So I posted on their very active facebook page asking for a link to the study about an hour ago- and they haven't replied to it yet.
    Anyways...HOW is water bad?

I can just see this "study" being used as an excuse for kids/teens, or even adults, to say "Hey! I don't need to drink water!"
    Thoughts please? (And friend requests from the committed members!)

Here is RESULT!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/288131-compare-my-photo-before-and-after
  • iSammy
    iSammy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I read about this in the Daily FAIL today too....

Drinking up to 2 litres of water a day is not going to harm you... Speaking from experience as someone who has suffered severe kidney problems through not drinking enough water in the past I cannot express just how important it is that you make sure you are well hydrated! Listen to your body, drink plenty. They say that if you are feeling thirsty you are already slightly dehydrated... so top yourself up regularly, especially as its summer.

Also, drinking plenty of water is excellent for the skin... that will never change! :happy: