Why I'm here.

Options
Just hit 65, retiring next year and decided I want to live to 114. Just left Weight Watchers after a couple of years and found this site after googling "free sites like Weight Watchers". Both WW and this site make me look at what I eat, but this one is free!!!!!!!!!! Hope to stay with this until I am out of the OBESE category....would settle for slightly overweight, because to be a "healthy weight", I need to weigh between 114 and 154. Are you s***in' me? Oh well, at 5'6", I'm not overweight, I'm undertall.

Replies

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    My goal too. Recently turned 50. Started at 259lbs and presently 220.
  • Homebrew111
    Homebrew111 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Way to go. Reward time, drink a beer (or two Mich Lites).
  • MJPAT55
    MJPAT55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Very well said, these are my goals as well. Work for hte Health dept in Chronic disease- risk factors are associated with obesity not with being overweight- that can actually be beneficial if you are active and your stats are good. I am also just trying to get my BMI into the overweight category- 10-20 lbs would do it but I am very active and my body is pretty happy where it is.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Welcome to MFP, Homebrewer!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside/p1

Freinds don't let friends drink Mich Lite. LOL

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I started this when I was 52 after my son poked my beer gut asking "when is it due?". I was given a fit bit for christmas but thought the calorie counting app was lacking. Found MFP and was shocked that it worked. I lost 53 pounds and became skinny/ normal weight. I often think of the wear and tear carrying that extra 50 lbs. or more around for years. Obesity affects more than just the heart. It can place a lot of stress on joints and the spine. When I see people struggle to walk or just get out of a chair it makes me think "I don't want to be that guy". I run 25 miles a week and with a healthy diet my blood pressure and cholesterol are both normal. The only thing I can't seem to get under control is my love of craft brew beer, wine and scotch. This is why I clicked on the post by Homebrew!
  • Homebrew111
    Homebrew111 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Big whopping AMEN on the Mich Lite, queenliz; would rather drink a couple of my homemades or, like rsclause, good craft brews, then add a few more miles (minutes) on morning runs to burn them off. I haven't brewed in a while but am starting back. I wish I could make a homebrew that tasted like my favorite (a good reddish colored ale with a high grain bill (brewerspeak for a lot of body but more calories)), but with Mich Lite calories. If I could figure out how, I'd be rich. Anyway, had a few brewskies this weekend camping and am in the need of another week or two to get rid of the damage,,,,,,BUT it was worth it. Back on track now.