Junk food and weight loss success

Options
Hello. I am just beginning my journey at 9 days in. I would like to hear some success stories from those who have been successful and did not modify their diet. Can you eat what you want and still lose weight? Or do you have to eat clean in order to lose weight?

I am not against eating healthy or clean ((ts my ultimate goal) but as a single mom, full time employee, student with everyday obligations it's hard to prepare meals that are healthy. Eventually eating clean will be my goal but right now my weight loss is very slow actually gaining weight even though I've been walking daily and eating less. Thoughts?

How do you find time or ensure you have healthy foods to eat

Replies

• Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You don't have to change your diet to lose weight. All you have to do is consume fewer calories than you burn. You don't have to workout either, but there are a ton of other health reasons to incorporate cardio and strength training into your life style.

Healthy and clean are going to have different meanings for everyone. I don't think food of any kind is junk. My idea of healthy eating is getting the right balance of macronutrients and micronutrients. Where I get that balance from is usally irrelevant, in my opinion.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of protein, work to get as many veggies into my day as I can (I like veggies I just don't eat enough of them) and have daily treats when they fit into my calorie and macro goals. I lost 55 pounds eating ice cream, pancakes, candy bars, etc. but in reasonable amounts while still making sure I was eating lots of healthy foods too. You don't have to give it all up to lose weight as long as you can find a way to make it work in your diet.
  • bkbirge
    bkbirge Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I find taking time on the weekend to meal prep for the coming week to be a huge stress reliever and portion controller. I think once you get into this your diet will modify simply because you want to see that "completed diary and was under calorie goal" message.

I love rice and potatoes and had no big plans to cut them but because of their high calorie content I can eat more of other foods I also like so I've naturally cut back some. I still eat them, haven't intentionally changed diet, I will also eat fast food still, as long as I keep it within my target numbers. My salmon and rice dinners now have often become salmon and salad. I've planned to make shepherds pie tonight and I will replace some of the potatoes with sweet potatoes, not all and not enough to drastically change the taste but it will slightly cut down calories letting me eat a more satisfying portion without making me feel I'm eating something I don't like. Whatever works for you long term should be your goal but don't be surprised if your diet does change.
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Stick to a calorie deficit, and you will lose weight. I am down 71lbs since mid March (250.5 to 179.5) and eat everything I used to, just less of it. For the most part, clean foods make it easier - for example, a Snickers bar is 250 calories. It takes a lot of veggies to make 250 calories, they'll fill you up more than the Snickers. I eat a lot more healthier foods than I used to, but still have pizza weekly and fast food on a normal basis. Everything in moderation. Instead of eating the whole pizza, I have 2-3 slices. Exercise gives you more calories to eat, so squeeze in what you can. Use My Fitness Pal to track everything you eat, and your exercise, keep a calorie deficit, and you'll have success!
    It doesn't have to take a long time to prep healthy good. I do a lot of wraps with chicken strips, cheese, lettuce, bbq sauce. Eggs are good and filling, and you can scramble as many as you want at a time and save the extras to microwave later. I eat a lot of greek yogurt with fruit and steel cut oats. If you eat fast food, I find Subway pretty good in terms of being fairly healthy and low calorie.
    Good luck!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Eating "clean" is meaningless. Stay within your calorie budget, eat mostly nutrient dense foods, and try to get some kind of exercise. You can eat what you want, but not as much as you want.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I didn't change the way I ate when I was losing weight. I just changed the AMOUNT I ate. My early days on MFP were filled with ice cream, beer, pizza, burgers, jelly beans, wine... you get the picture.

I lost 60(ish) pounds in 2011-12 and have been at my goal weight almost 5 years now.
  • Ladina1990
    Ladina1990 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have been logging and working out for 36 days so far and have lost 10.6 pounds (11 on MFP) . I agree with everyone that if you stay within your calorie goal and work out you will lose weight. Now don't get me wrong I work out for at least 40-45 minutes a day and I am walking 8,000 steps a day to help with the weight loss. I incorporate a lot of cardio and strength training, but I LOVE chocolate and junk food. I figure if I am going to be active I will not be miserable while doing it. I will tell you one secret to burning lots of calories and that is jumping rope.
  • NoDblChin
    NoDblChin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    Just start counting calories at your deficit and eat what you want. As you go along.. you will naturally want to make healthy changes. It is part of just what happens. After a while.. you realize you can feel more full on 3 ounces of chicken instead of a snack bag of potato chips. Then you start learning about how food affects your body..and the entire thing snowballs...and before you know it.. you 're eating green salads..lean meats..healthy fats.. and you wonder.. "how and when did all of this happen?"
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Every Friday, my hubby and I have a date. After I finish my workday, we go to the gym for 30-45 minutes and then we hit our favorite taco joint. You can do it... just be careful with what you choose.

I recommend - in fact I cannot recommend strongly enough - Pre-logging your fast food/restaurant food. If you make sure it fits into your goals BEFORE you order it - then you can eat it guilt free.

Just ask yourself this question before you order:

Is the satisfaction I get from eating this going to be worth the amount of calories I spend?

IF the answer is "yes" - then go for it. You will be surprised at how many times the answer will be "no."

Good Luck!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I didn't modify my diet other than to eat a little less during the week days, but I didn't eat fast food while gaining weight. I've eaten the same type of diet since I got pregnant for the first time. Becoming a mother made me start thinking about nutrition.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Clean eating always starts a storm around here because it means something different to each person and has no exact definition. It, as previously stated, is not required for deficit. You need to watch the junk, packaged and prepared foods. They can be calorie dense and loaded with salt and extra calories. I often suspect that a restaurant will prepare an item in the "test kitchen" using a smaller sample with less condiments to hit a calorie target. Out in the real word the kitchen puts more on it to suit taste. If out skip the fries, bread & pasta and get a small portion of lean meat with fresh veggies and you will do fine.
  • NoDblChin
    NoDblChin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Nutrition id somethings insurance wanna to focus on in the next few months. Thanks for the replies everyone
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!