Tabata - how many calories burned?

Options
Does anyone have any ballpark figure on how many calories i would burn in a 30 minute Tabata class/session? I've tried to research it but there is a lot of confusing information. I know it burns calories and I don't really care for exact numbers but I just want to have some idea of what I should log it as.

Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• slomeli79
    slomeli79 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Quick summary answer: Tabata is only a 4-MINUTE-LONG protocol. Calories burned in that time will be 30-40 for average adults.

Read on for 2 two things you need to know:

One - The actual tabata protocol is only 4 minutes long, and any program going longer than that but claiming to be tabata is flat out misrepresenting itself. Tabata has become popular for its efficiency, and many high-intensity-interval-training (HIIT) programs are mis-using the Tabata label to capitalize on the buzz around it. Reason for its efficiency is that every 20-second round of the 8 rounds performed in those 4 minutes is meant to be performed at 100% effort, making it both aerobic and anaerobic. If you aren't completely out of breath, dizzy, nauseous, and/or shaking from central nervous system activity after the 4 minutes are up - you didn't perform the protocol at the proper intensity. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9139179) The impact to your CNS is one reason the protocol is not meant to be performed daily.

Two - at 100% effort for 4 minutes, calories burned would only be in the 30-40 range, but the fat-loss benefits of tabata are the "afterburn" that can last for 24+ hours after the actual exercise is performed. It's a really difficult thing to track unless you wear a heart rate monitor over 2 days when you eat exactly the same things, sleep exactly the same amount and times, and do the exact same physical activities - with the exception of a tabata workout on one of the days.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    about 3 fiddy
  • CopperB73
    CopperB73 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Doesn't seem fair does it - you do Cycles of {20 secs freakin' intense/10 secs rest} for true Tabata, or something similar ftr other High Intensity Interval Training cycles, feel you're going to die & then read that the calories burned is +only+ about 13.5/min :sad: (see http://www.shape.com/blogs/working-it-out/tabata-5-times-more-effective-traditional-cardio-study-says )

Which would be 135 cals for a 10 min session, of course.

This interview with Prof Tabata (see http://www.muscleandfitness.com/training/tips/cut-fat-fast-tabata-intervals ) gives a ball-park figure of a further 150 cals burned in the "afterburn effect" (you're not exercising, but stuff is still happening calorie-wise.

I'm sure the exact amount is going to vary based on a whole number of factors, but that's the figure I'm going to use - that is, I'm going to assume I've burned 13.5 cals/minute for my 10 mins + 150 during the resat of the day (so 135+150=185 total).

But it still feels as tough as, say, 45 mins vigorous martial arts - which is maybe 700 cals.:smile:
  • MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I too was initially a little disappointed when I researched calorie burn for Tabata. But then I really thought about it...

I think it was Mark Twain who said, "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics." Unless the person is performing in a lab with very sophisticated monitors, I take any "calorie burn" figure as a guesstimate at best. And I am very skeptical of some of the numbers I see here and other places. 600-800 calories in an hour? Really? And as another poster mentioned, part of the benefit of Tabata is the "afterburn."

And what is a person's goal with exercise? Purely for the sake of burning calories so they can be skinny? Or is the person wanting to be stong, healthy, vigorous, vibrant? Personally, I'm shooting for the second goal.

All I know is this, if I do a Tabata-style workout I feel totally spent. My body feels like I was being chased by tigers. My temperature is elevated for a significant time afterwards. My face is red. I'm all shaky. I know it is doing amazing things for my body. That's good enough for me!

PS I think the best approach is probably to incorporate a nice variety of styles of workouts...some shorter and intense like Tabata. Some more endurance like running, biking, rowing, or swimming. Definitely add some weight-work...whether it's machines, free weights or body-weight exercises. And some more moderate like walking or hiking or playing a pleasant sport.

This is my plan. I've got a long way to go before I'm where I want to be, but I'll let you know if it works! :-D
  • MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I've read so many conflicting reports on how to actually DO Tabata. For this reason, I have been calling it HIIT or Tabata-style because I don't know if I'm doing it exactly "right." Is there a site you recommend for reliable information & maybe a sample workout or two?

ETA: Duh, nevermind. I see someone above posted a link to an article with the creator of the workout. I'll check that out! Must read more carefully before asking questions!
  • brandyleigh35
    brandyleigh35 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do a 60 minute step class, 50 minutes of step aerobics, and the last 10 minutes we do 2 full sets of tabata. It's hard, and intense, but I've been working out my whole life, and never seen changes in my body or weight loss like I have since we started incorporating this in the last 10 minutes. The after burn is amazing! I have more energy on a daily basis, I feel stronger, my lungs and head feel clearer, and it is making a huge difference in my overall fitness. I don't really track the calorie burn, I just list 60 minutes of step like I usually do, and eat the same amount that I normally do, but I have been getting very cut, and dropping weight easier then I ever have before! I highly recommend it! It's tough but so worth the benefits! OH and BTW I'm 50 years old so anyone can do it! It's all about working as hard as YOU can.
    :sad: :flowerforyou:
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    I am planning to a tabata class next week- I will take my HRM and give you the nr I got :)
  • shurleec
    shurleec Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I take A class called Tabata 1-2 x's a week. I usually burn 500-540 (according to my HRM) in 45 min. I am 5'2 175, so I am on the heavier side.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Quick summary answer: Tabata is only a 4-MINUTE-LONG protocol. Calories burned in that time will be 30-40 for average adults.

Read on for 2 two things you need to know:

One - The actual tabata protocol is only 4 minutes long, and any program going longer than that but claiming to be tabata is flat out misrepresenting itself. Tabata has become popular for its efficiency, and many high-intensity-interval-training (HIIT) programs are mis-using the Tabata label to capitalize on the buzz around it. Reason for its efficiency is that every 20-second round of the 8 rounds performed in those 4 minutes is meant to be performed at 100% effort, making it both aerobic and anaerobic. If you aren't completely out of breath, dizzy, nauseous, and/or shaking from central nervous system activity after the 4 minutes are up - you didn't perform the protocol at the proper intensity. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9139179) The impact to your CNS is one reason the protocol is not meant to be performed daily.

Two - at 100% effort for 4 minutes, calories burned would only be in the 30-40 range, but the fat-loss benefits of tabata are the "afterburn" that can last for 24+ hours after the actual exercise is performed. It's a really difficult thing to track unless you wear a heart rate monitor over 2 days when you eat exactly the same things, sleep exactly the same amount and times, and do the exact same physical activities - with the exception of a tabata workout on one of the days.

the epoc really isnt that much. it's like 14% for high intensity stuff and 7% for lower intensity stuff

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-versus-intervals-and-epoc-practical-application.html
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to get hung up on nomenclature. IMO, there is no reason to get hung up on protocol either. What most people call "tabata" is actually just HIIT.

And that is fine, because almost no one needs to do "real" tabata anyhow.

For the most part, calorie burn during HIIT is not that noteworthy. That's not the primarily benefit. The main benefit of HIIT training is increased fitness. Within the "fitness" designation, there are a lot of positive physical effects. In the long run, that increased fitness gives you the ability to do more challenging workouts. So, fitness begets fitness.
  • 6281947kjm
    Options
    I do a 60 minute Tabata Waves Class at the local life center. Not sure how many calories is burned by being in the pool, but it is a very intense cardio workout. :smile:
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Another reason not to eat back exercise calories. :)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Doesn't seem fair does it - you do Cycles of {20 secs freakin' intense/10 secs rest} for true Tabata, or something similar ftr other High Intensity Interval Training cycles, feel you're going to die & then read that the calories burned is +only+ about 13.5/min :sad: (see http://www.shape.com/blogs/working-it-out/tabata-5-times-more-effective-traditional-cardio-study-says )

Which would be 135 cals for a 10 min session, of course.

This interview with Prof Tabata (see http://www.muscleandfitness.com/training/tips/cut-fat-fast-tabata-intervals ) gives a ball-park figure of a further 150 cals burned in the "afterburn effect" (you're not exercising, but stuff is still happening calorie-wise.

I'm sure the exact amount is going to vary based on a whole number of factors, but that's the figure I'm going to use - that is, I'm going to assume I've burned 13.5 cals/minute for my 10 mins + 150 during the resat of the day (so 135+150=185 total).

But it still feels as tough as, say, 45 mins vigorous martial arts - which is maybe 700 cals.:smile:

How long have you been doing tabata training?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Umm in the article where is this set 150 addition calories only coming from. If my body is more muscle than the average person my size it takes more to repair my body than theres since I tear the muscle more and have way more super fast twitch fibers..
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It's just a technique Tabata helped design for increasing VO2Max in speed skaters.

If you can do more rounds of it, you didn't go hard enough. You should literally be unable to scrape yourself off the floor after 4 mins.

If you're doing it for calorie burns - you're doing it wrong.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I cannot make it the 4 minutes sometimes.

Usually have to sit out a round. I do this purely for increase metabolism.
  • TeriSueWest
    TeriSueWest Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I take a deep water tabata class at the Y. I enter it as 40 minutes of swimming since there is no true way to calculate it. I am diabetic and it really helps with that!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    There is no reason to get hung up on nomenclature. IMO, there is no reason to get hung up on protocol either. What most people call "tabata" is actually just HIIT.

For the most part, calorie burn during HIIT is not that noteworthy. That's not the primarily benefit. The main benefit of HIIT training is increased fitness. Within the "fitness" designation, there are a lot of positive physical effects. In the long run, that increased fitness gives you the ability to do more challenging workouts. So, fitness begets fitness.

I was pretty much going to say this...

Look at your fitness beyond calories...energy expenditure is a bi-product of fitness, not the purpose.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Azdak wrote: »

I was pretty much going to say this...

Look at your fitness beyond calories...energy expenditure is a bi-product of fitness, not the purpose.

Zombie thread from 2 1/2 years ago brought back to life. Halloween was yesterday.
  • shonajoy1955
    shonajoy1955 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you are doing tabata the recommended three times a week is it still okay to include running and biking on alternative days