Is it possible to lose weight without exercise

Options
I was on a weight loss streak. Eating right, exercise at least 3-4 times a week. I've recently returned to school full time(university) and I can't find the energy to exercise (I also work full time) . Any suggestions? Help!

Replies

• Gotrek1
    Gotrek1 Posts: 64 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I don't exercise and I'm down 60lbs so far. I'm not even dieting, I eat well and I eat junk. I just eat my calorie Goal from MFP.

I do hunt a lot this time of year which = a lot of walking. But I've always done that, and the season has just started so can't really count it.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I have lost 117lbs without doing purposeful exercise due to mobility limitations. Absolutely it is weight loss in the kitchen, toning and firming in the gym. Not that I am particularly flabby as I have continued to live a life! But I never went to the gym, or did any programs, or dvds at home or anything like that.
  • browningnb
    browningnb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Will take into account what u said....was feeling a bit defeated when I couldn't find the time to exercise
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm also in school and working full time. What I do on my busy days is little bursts of activity. Park as far away from the building as you can, take the stairs, etc. Even a ten minute walk around the block helps. Use a fitbit and try to keep up your steps. Good luck!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely lose weight without "exercise".

You'll find it easier though (in the sense that you get to eat a little bit more) if you can at least increase your NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis; fancy term for "getting off your butt as much as possible") by doing things like taking the stairs, parking at the far end of the parking lot, etc.

But even if you can't do that, you can still lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Didn't exercise at all during my active weight loss phase and now in maintenance I still don't exercise regularly (usually some summer walking). I lost around 50lbs and I'm several years into maintaining the loss :)
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    As a person who tends towards exercise to burn calories, I can tell you what is said here over and over again is true. Weight is lost in the kitchen, exercise is for health. I tried to out exercise what I was eating because getting into a deficit has been hard for me. It cannot be done very easily (I mean out exercising what you eat). Stay within your MFP calories, walk to classes, etc. as much as you can (park far away from places, etc) and when you feel like exercising, do it for your health, not your weight. When I just added parking further away from places, taking stairs, etc. I went from a sedentary 2-3000 steps a day to 10-12,000 steps a day just doing that. It all helps, but you're going to lose watching portion sizes.

I don't really actively exercise but I do always make sure to park further away from the store to get in some extra walking. It really does add up :)
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
  • edena001
    edena001 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Know a few people who have done WW which is simply changing your food, while that's worked and they've lost a lot of weight they just have flab! So it is best to exersice and tone to tighten up your skin per say.

I'm at university and work part time, found it easiest to join a 24 hour gym. There's always time, you just make excuses like everyone!

Any time you'll spend watching a tv show, watch it at the gym, download it on phone or use wifi! Then you're being productive and still getting your gym time
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight without exercise but it isn't healthy to NOT exercise at all. You do have time - it is just a matter of priority
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    You can lose without exercise but your eating has to follow through. You have to eat less by the same amount you had cut exercise if you want to lose at the same rate.
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    yes
  • bigpete44
    bigpete44 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When you find out please let me know
  • tmarple93
    tmarple93 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds with no exercise but i wouldn't recommend it... I'm proud of myself for losing the weight but now i have a whole new problem. I'm skinny fat. I still have saddle bags and I'm way weaker then I was when i started. I used to work out six days a week and completed insanity and t25 in the past but never lost weight becuase I didn't know how to control my eating and being so active made me extra hungry. Being less active and not doing much made me way less hungry and it was pretty easy to stay in a calorie deficit BUT I can't even get through 15 mins of a workout I used to complete and still have energy afterwards. Sure I'm thinner now, but now I have to do a full recomp starting with no muscle :( if I could go back I would of at least tried to do strength training through the six months it took for me to lose the weight.