Double Chocolate Zucchini Brownies

Options
jagh09
jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
I just got this from a blog I follow. If you're a chocolate lover and want a healthier version of your favorite brownies, this sounds like it's worth a try!

http://adashofsass.com/2011/07/12/double-chocolate-zucchini-brownies/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+ADashOfSass+(A+Dash+of+Sass)

Double Chocolate Zucchini Brownies

2 cups zucchini, grated
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup honey or agave nectar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli 60% Cocoa Chips)

Directions:

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking pan and line with parchment paper leaving 1 inch of the paper hanging over the edge to create handles. Grease parchment paper. Set aside.
- Grate zucchini. Press with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Fluff with a fork, set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together oil, eggs, agave or honey and vanilla. Add zucchini.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Add dry mixture to the wet/zucchini mixture. Stir to combine. Add chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely. Remove from pan using parchment paper handles. Serve chilled for a fudgy brownie or warmed for a gooey, cakey brownie.

Replies

• MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome! I love zucchini bread, so these must be good. Wanted to try Rocco's black bean brownies, too. What's the nutritional break down?
  • kdoak87
    kdoak87 Posts: 27
    Options
    Bump! This sound good I am going to have to try this
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of zucchini to use up... this sounds awesome!
  • mirna_ayala0428
    mirna_ayala0428 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tlowder
    tlowder Posts: 21
    Options
    Mmmm! Bump
  • NuMe46
    NuMe46 Posts: 128
    Options
    Sounds wonderful. Always looking for recipes that use honey or agave nectar. Could use Egg Beaters to cut down on cholesterol and calories a bit.
  • jagh09
    Options
    Yeah, I think you can really cut this recipe down quite a bit. Reduce the olive oil and use some unsweetened apple sauce. Use 1 egg, and 2 egg whites. The way it's written, it sounds really moist and delicious, but the calories are still fairly high. I entered it into the database and made it 16 servings and came up with around 150 calories each brownie.

It's healthier than regular box brownies, but you still have to plan the calories. :)
  • NuMe46
    NuMe46 Posts: 128
    Options
    Try substituting 1 cup pumpkin puree for the oil and egg beaters for the eggs. Reduce the amount of chips to 1 cup.

These subs brought the calories down to 162, with 5 grams of fiber and 5 grams of fat. Also lowered the cholesterol which is a big concern for me.
  • hollyxdolly
    hollyxdolly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bookmakring this one! I love zucchini and chocolate XD
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Did you know you can sub flax seed mill for eggs?? 1 Tbsp meal + 4 Tbsp water for each egg. I tried it with my last batch of oatmeal cookies and couldn't tell the difference!
  • jagh09
    Options
    Try substituting 1 cup pumpkin puree for the oil and egg beaters for the eggs. Reduce the amount of chips to 1 cup.

These subs brought the calories down to 162, with 5 grams of fiber and 5 grams of fat. Also lowered the cholesterol which is a big concern for me.

Awesome ideas! Thank you!