Going Shopping today!!! What are.......

Options
What are my must haves on my list? I always think I am buying healthy food and snacks but I always be over, esp in my carbs. What are some must have items and snacks when you go shopping? Anything new you tried and liked? Im thinking about trying hummus (sp) if I can find it and some different cereal like Kaish and Special K bars.

Replies

• sax_singer52
    sax_singer52 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always buy lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. That way you are avoiding carbs and getting healty calories into your body. Nuts are always a good snack too, but the calories add up quick so make sure you are measuring your serving sizes.
  • RainyDayKelli
    RainyDayKelli Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I would avoid the special k bars, they are really high in sugar and carbs. I would get some whole grain crackers and fresh veggies that are easy to grab, like carrots, celery, cherry tomatoes, etc. I do a lot of hummus with fresh veggies or pita bread.
  • hopesOFskinny
    Options
    special k anything is the bomb. love it soo much. that and yogurt lol.
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    my go to cereal is Kashi go lean original or the Kashi crunch!!! Also fresh fruits and veggies or frozen is a great alternative as well. To get my chocolate fix I get fat free fudgsicles. They taste much better then the sugar free and are only 60c. I also go for pistachios, roasted edamame, and pumpkin seeds. Also, greek yogurt is a must have! I like Fage and I mix in either fresh fruits or thawed frozen fruit. A great snakc packed with protein!! low fat string cheese too! :)
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Any fresh fruits and veggies, but I always make sure I get bananas... portable and loaded with potassium.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Avoid the Special K bars, they leave you still hungry. Try the Kashi bars, they have the lowest sugar out of any that I've tried! They even come in dark chocolate flavor!!

Try to make hummus @ home: chickpeas, garlic, etc. WAAAAAY cheaper!
  • Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    I love hummus! I found some brand name is Tribe,and it was only 50 calories for 2 Tablespoons. I use Rold Gold pretzle sticks to dip...53 sticks for 100 calories.

I also use those sticks with my homemade guacamole which is just a whole avacado mashed with salt and pepper to taste.

Another snack I love to eat is little cherry tomatoes sliced with a whole cucumber cut into little bite size pieces with fat free italian dressing (15 cals for the dressing). It is so yummy and nice on summer days.
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    eggs, boil them and get some string cheese. the low calorie one. great snacks and will stay with you a long time. Do NOT forget apples, banana's and other fruit and lots of celery, lettuce, asperagus, and other veggies. You will do wonderful.
  • sjackson902
    sjackson902 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Love hummus with baby carrots, yoplus yogurt and almonds. :)
  • Sarw27
    Sarw27 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to this whole thing but since I've started some of my staples are a high fibre whole grain bread. I usually either eat a couple of slices in the morning with eggs or peanut butter or else I have it as a sandwhich for a quick dinner option. TMI maybe- but it helps keep me regular which helps me drop weight faster.

Also, I keep peanut butter in my desk at work (and bread in the office freezer) because it's good to have on hand if I forget my lunch or my wallet one day.

Eggs-- I always have eggs in my fridge. I hard boil them on the weekends and put them in baggies so that I can grab them in the morning when I leave for work. I eat them as my snacks since I'm trying to eat protein with every meal. Sometimes I take out the yolk but sometimes I don't.

I also tend to keep yogurt and fresh fruit at work for either breakfast or a morning snack but lately I've been finding myself getting stomach aches and I think maybe from the yogurt... so depends if you can tolerate it or not and if you're trying to stay away from dairy.

Lastly- almonds make for a good afternoon snack for me so I keep them in my desk at work too. They're also easy to keep in your purse for when you're on the go.

So I guess my staples are: high fibre whole grain bread, peanut butter, eggs, fresh fruit, yogurt, and almonds... but I'm still a work-in-progress.
  • Sweetlux
    Sweetlux Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I saw shopping and I immediatly thought oooh shoes! I'm such a girl :) Hummus is great with carrots! Almonds, greek yogurt with honey and walnuts, string cheese, fresh fruit...these are my go to snacks!
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Ooh yeah get some hummus! Hummus is the reason I eat my vegetables... hahaha. Seriously though, I would hardly eat any veggies if I couldn't dip them in hummus. =)

Kashi cereal is pretty good - I usually mix it with yogurt if I'm eating it for breakfast. If you get some greek yogurt and some Kashi cereal (or Fiber One, I like that too!) it makes for a very filling breakfast.

As far as other snacks go... popcorn, fruit, nuts, Fiber One chewy bars, cheese, Dreyer's whole fruit popsicles.

If you wash and cut up your fruits and veggies as soon as you get home from the store, and package them (ziplocs or tupperware), you will be more likely to eat them. Or, at least really helps me!

Have fun shopping!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruits. Frozen fruits. Fresh vegetables. Yogurt. Soups. Oatmeal.

These items are in my cart every trip to the store.
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    I agree with avoiding the Special K bars if you want to cut down on carbs and sugar. I always get frozen edamame. They come in on of those steam fresh bags. They are a great snack and packed with protein.
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    avocado (for guacamole), greek yogurt, steel cut oats, honey, green tea, nonfat cottage cheese, unsweet applesauce, berries, nuts, whole wheat bread and english muffins, 60 cal pudding snacks, protein bars, granola bars, eggs, unpopped popcorn (just the seeds, and pop them on your stovetop with canola oil)
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    fresh veg and fruit
    rice cakes
    green tea
    yogurt
    low fat cottage cheese
    lean meats
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt
    low sodium, reduced fat cottage cheese
    fresh fruit - cantaloupes are really good now, kiwi, mango, peaches, apricots, nectarines, plums, berries
    fresh veggies - mushrooms, zucchini, squash, spinach, brussels sprouts
    veggie burgers
    fish - tilapia, salmon, haddock
    natural peanut butter
    sugar free fruit preserves
    reduced sodium pasta sauce
    pasta - whole wheat spagetti, brown rice ect.

my list could go on, and on :) good luck at the grocery store
  • Shanell802
    Shanell802 Posts: 37
    Options
    I saw shopping and I immediatly thought oooh shoes! I'm such a girl :) Hummus is great with carrots! Almonds, greek yogurt with honey and walnuts, string cheese, fresh fruit...these are my go to snacks!

Me too. I don't have any good food ideas...just wanted to talk about shoes :)
  • gettingthin03
    Options
    Thanks for all the wonderful ideas. I will be trying alot of them...

For the ladies talking about shoes, lets talk. I LOVE shoes!!! LOL
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

LOL!! Me too! I Except i was like "oooooooo accessories!!!"