I need motivation!!

Options
Hey, my name's Monique, I've been trying to lose 20-30lbs.. my problem is I have NO WILLPOWER! I stsrt off fine then, suddenly indulge

Replies

• AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are restricting your calorie intake too much when you start off? You aren't going to lose 20-30 lbs overnight so you need to take a patient approach to this.

As far as willpower, I guess you need to ask yourself how much you want this. No goal is easy to obtain, but the results will be worth it in the end.
  • obhajj
    obhajj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hello monique you need someone next to you to help you, eat with you and doing sport with you .
    hope you to have someone ,
  • pdo27789
    pdo27789 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I started off great, losing 34lbs in under 3 months. I then plateaued for a few months. Then gained back 7 over a month.

I've recently refocused and got back on track, losing 4+ the last few weeks.

You're not alone. Everyone has setbacks, for numerous reasons. Don't feel bad about it. Just refocus and move forward.

What I've done to refocus:
    - increased involvment in the mfp forums
    - I'm more honest with my diary
    - starting exercise

Feel free to add me as a friend. Anyone else can for that matter. Don't expect perfection. I'm a work in progress.
  • MarciaMedina
    MarciaMedina Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have same issue. Good luck on staying focused.
  • sduggan_2187
    sduggan_2187 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey girl!

I have the same problem. I have been telling myself for years, get your *kitten* to the gym and eat healthy and you will see results. So for me.. I just hired a personal trainer.
    I go three days a week and I work out 6 total. I am 3 weeks in hope to see some great results by January.
    You need someone or something to help hold you accountable. Having an appointment with my trainer does that. Look into something like that. It may help. Good luck ;-)
  • Baddogbeanie
    Baddogbeanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hey, my name's Monique, I've been trying to lose 20-30lbs.. my problem is I have NO WILLPOWER! I stsrt off fine then, suddenly indulge

No will power towards what, sweets, working out, everything? I found that having only healthy stuff around at least when I overeat it is mostly healthy, I might not meet all my daily goals but over time I am losing and feeling better.. Might be a good start. Hope this helps.. Friend me if ya like.
  • jayrent98
    jayrent98 Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hey monique, its hard to have a strong will power without motivation. I found motivation by going to the gym. A good way to stay motivated is to get yourself a workout buddy, someone that is always working out with you and keeping you on track. It will also give you a sense of competition and you wont want to give up. Just keep your goal clear and stick with it. Everything takes time, and you will have to work hard to get what you want. Rome wasnt built in one day lol Message me if you want detailed help to get you lose 20-30lbs :smile:
  • Baddogbeanie
    Options
    A great article I came across and I thought of you..

All too often, individuals blame their unsuccessful attempts at weight loss and dieting on a lack of willpower. Unfortunately relying on willpower to achieve and maintain weight loss isn’t practical or sustainable.
    You can’t just will your way to your “happy” weight. Lasting weight loss requires sustainable behavior changes and a healthy relationship with food. These two pieces of the puzzle are nonnegotiable if you’re looking for happiness at your healthy weight (also know as “happy” weight).

While you may be able to lose weight initially on willpower alone, without adopting sustainable behavior changes and a healthy relationship with food, you will gain back the weight or not be satisfied with your body. Willpower and motivation will help to kick-start your health journey, but they will only get you so far. We all lose steam (it’s human nature!) and need a realistic plan to keep going.

5 ACTION STEPS FOR LASTING RESULTS

1. Don’t buy into weight-loss gimmicks. Avoid products or diet plans that promise you can slim down in five days by drinking only juice or eating zero carbs. Anything super extreme that’s far from a balanced diet is only a quick fix, and all too often any weight that is lost on those diets is regained on the rebound. These gimmicks don’t lead to lasting results.

2. Eat foods that are fun, too. Ice cream, pizza, and pumpkin spice lattes are often sworn off when going on a diet. But, this isn’t the best strategy for long-lasting weight loss because it could lead to intense cravings or binge eating. Instead of cutting them out, allow yourself to eat foods that are fun in moderation.

3. Set achievable weight goals. Weight loss doesn’t happen overnight, or in a few days for that matter. If you’re being sold rapid weight loss… turn and run! Losing weight too quickly (more than 1–2 pounds/week) might not sustainable for most people. Set achievable goals, take measurements and re-evaluate your goals every week to stay on track.

4. Learn to decipher hunger and fullness. Knowing what, when and how much to eat is half the battle with weight loss. The good news is you can use your body’s internal hunger and fullness cues to guide you. Note: The people who manage their weight and keep it off without having to diet do this naturally (or have learned this tool over time). If you want to understand your hunger and fullness better, read this article: The Simple Tool That Can Help Prevent Overeating

5. Know your “why.” Do you know your reasons for wanting to lose weight and get healthy? Turn your motivations into more than just willpower; make them your purpose. Write a mission statement to give more meaning to your goals. Getting solid on your “why” runs deep and will fuel a healthy lifestyle.

Don’t beat yourself up again if you have trouble reaching your goals. If you’re feeling like you’ve failed your diet from a lack of willpower, maybe it’s the diet that failed you. Take actions that are sustainable and long-lasting to find your happy weight.

• sduggan_2187
    sduggan_2187 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @Baddogbeanie This is great! I will defiantly keep this in mind for when I struggle as well. Thanks for the share!
  • mjarroyo
    mjarroyo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello monique
    Welcome to MFP. If you want motivators you are in the right place. As other members stated dont try to lose alot really fast. Try 1 to 2 pounds per week. You wil be on your way in no time. Add me if you want for motivation
  • Baddogbeanie
    Options
    @Baddogbeanie This is great! I will defiantly keep this in mind for when I struggle as well. Thanks for the share!

Your welcome, I try very hard to accomplish my goals and motivate those around me, there success is success for us all!