Not losing weight?

Options
So, first off, I've been dieting for 45 days now. I've only lost 13 pounds. But I'm eating between 1100-1300 calories a day, and walking at least 2 miles most days (if I walk more than 2 miles, my meals typically go up to 1500 calories just to make sure my net calories hits at least 1000). I'm 5'8/5'9 and currently weigh 258 pounds. While I'm losing weight, it's slowed down extremely since the first month. At 30 days, I'd lost 10 pounds. At 45 days, I've only lost 3 more pounds since. It's too early to be plateau-ing isn't it? And while I may not be eating enough calories everyday, I still have 3 meals a day plus snacks so I don't see why my body would be going into starvation mode?
I'm just at a loss for how to start losing weight again at a faster pace. Any ideas why I'm not losing weight/on how to jump start my body back into losing weight?

(I should add that I rarely make my own food and instead just eat frozen food or fast food like Subway because the calories are easier to track that way? Not sure if that is a factor).

Replies

• DCHGlascock
    DCHGlascock Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9, male, and weigh 185. I usually lose 6 pounds a week and eat around 1700 calories a day, which is 300 less than my goal is, which is great. Remember, excersizes don't have the same effect on everyone, so I'd recommend switching your workout, try lifting weights, biking, or even P90X. If you still want to walk maube you need to be drinking more water.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9, male, and weigh 185. I usually lose 6 pounds a week and eat around 1700 calories a day, which is 300 less than my goal is, which is great. Remember, excersizes don't have the same effect on everyone, so I'd recommend switching your workout, try lifting weights, biking, or even P90X. If you still want to walk maube you need to be drinking more water.

You're 185 and losing 6lbs per week? That's way too fast for someone your weight. You're losing LBM at an alarming rate with that deficit. If this is true, why are you eating so little? And why aren't you eating back your exercise calories? I am just going by the math. You said you ate 300 below your goal (not healthy at all!) and are losing 6lbs per week. Did you set this goal yourself? To lose 6lbs per week, you'd need a 3000 calorie daily deficit, plus the 300 you under eat, so your TDEE is around 5000? Huh? Am I doing the math wrong? I hope so.

And, exercise isn't for weight loss...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    On your profile you mentioned your earlier dissatisfaction with a 50 lb weight loss. For this effort, I suggest that you undertake a serious weight lifting program to tone and retain muscle while you lose weight. You'll look fabulous.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

First off. Yikes!

Secondly, exercise isn't necessary for weight loss. Recommended but not needed.

OP, you're doing fine, weight loss isn't linear and if you're tracking is accurate (weighing solids, measuring liquids) then you could well do with eating a bit more. You're going to be here for a while, may as well make it as easy on yourself as possible.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

You need to redo your math :huh:
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand how any of this equates to you not losing weight. Maybe what you need to lose are any absurd expectations you have
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

The point of your goal is to hit it, not come in below it. Losing six pounds a week is unhealthy and can lead to a number of health issues.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You're losing at at rate of about 2 pounds a week which is right on target. Hang in there. It adds up fast. Also, I would not eat below 1200 and enjoy eating back 1/2 of your exercise calories. Make sure you're using a food scale
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    You are losing weight and at a great and still healthy pace! Anymore than that could be unhealthy and extremely restrictive. You should be netting at least 1200 calories a day!
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Also I'd like to mention that the first 5-10 lbs of weight loss are usually from water weight and poop weight. Whenever I start redieting, I always lose about 8 lbs within the first week. And then go at a steady pace of 1-2 lbs per week after that. It always always happens, and I know it's just water/poop weight. It's impossible to lose 8 lbs in 3 days with eating well.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

You need to redo your math :huh:

It's probably only the initial water weight anyway. :smile:
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling .. we didn't get over weight over night and we are not going to loose it overnight .. I didn't count first week .. but started at 252 and weigh 225 after 4 months .. averages around 1.68 pounds a week .. I have all kinds of eating and good weeks / bad weeks .. I feel like I need to be loosing faster but I'm not .. I can say I can tell the difference .. smaller belt ect .. I wish I could offer some answers . It's just going to take time so we have to find a way to enjoy the journey ..

Good luck
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I think you maybe have unrealistic expectations of how this all works. Seriously unrealistic expectations. You lost at more than 2 pounds a week for the first month and are now complaining that its slowed to 1.5 pounds a week? That's a very reasonable rate.

It kind of goes with your profile saying that you lost 50 pounds and were dissatisfied with the results. It makes me wonder what kind of results you were expecting, that 50 pounds was disappointing?

It might be good for you to do some work (with or without a therapist) to talk about what you think this should look like, and how you think your life is going to be changed when you lose weight??