For Vibram owners, need help!

Options
I bought some Vibram KSO's awhile back and I'm starting to regret the purchase. =( I've walked/ran a total of about 18 miles in them 3 miles at a time and every time I get blisters! After getting massive blisters the first time using them I bought Injinji toe socks for them which I hate wearing, they helped but didn't stop the blisters. I also tried wrapping my feet in athletic tape which helps but makes the process of even getting ready to leave take forever!

They fit only a little loose when on even with the straps tightened as far as I can. I don't think I can get a smaller size because its still hard for me to pull them over my heel, smaller probably wouldn't go on. Do they have to be completely tight? My toes don't go all the way in the sockets with my heel all the way in the heel cup or if I pull them on my toes up my heel is loose. Does anybody else's fit like this and NOT cause them problems?

Replies

• FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I have the multi-sport and haven't had a problem but my husband has the KSOs and gets blisters from the seam running along the side. Depending on where you got them from I'd say return them and get one of the pairs that doesn't have the same seaming on the inside.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    bump this for later
  • bassettpig
    bassettpig Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Where specifically are your blisters? I had blister issues at the base of the big toe but along the side of the foot, not the bottom. I solved the problem with these:

http://www.goengo.com/

The Engo blister patches worked well for me. I have had the same pair in my VFFs for over 2 years now. If you want to order them online, you can, or a local running or sporting goods store may carry them.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Can't help with the KSO's but I bought the Merrell trail gloves and love them, they don't have toes but have a big toe box to let your toes move freely, and they have 0 drop from heel to toe, with thin rubber soles.
  • R_Pup1976
    R_Pup1976 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I have the Bikilas and have never had a problem with blisters. I will say that when I first got them I thought they were to tight, only to find out thats the way they are supposed to fit. It sounds like you may be able to go down one size. Another option is to check out some of their new models which are made more specifically for running.
  • CaraRadz
    CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have the Vibram KSO Multisports, and I've never had an issue with blisters. That said, my Vibrams fit my foot like a glove. My toes go all the way to the end, and my heel is snug in the back. It sounds like yours may not be fitting correctly. Perhaps look into another size or another style that fits your foot better. My husband had really wanted Vibrams, but he ended up not getting a pair because he couldn't find a style that fit his foot shape appropriately.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I don't have blister problems in them. In fact, the blister problems have tended to go away since I've worn them. They do rub in spots, but I tape the small areas that do.

As far as blistering goes, I'd imagine that most anything that worked for blisters in regular shoes would work with these.

Body glide, foot powders, tape, etc
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Start slower. It can take a month for your feet to build up some callouses. Start with 15 minutes of walking and build up from there. I've been walking 2 miles 4 days a week for 2.5 weeks. Regular walking doesn't cause problems any more but I did a 7 mile cross country hike on Sunday and got blisters again. BUT, when I was walking/running in my old shoes everything from my knees down was in serious pain, just searing pain from my knees through my ankles. With the Vibrams, no pain. My feet were sore after 7 miles but that would have happened with any shoe. I wasn't sore at all the next day. In another week or two I'll start running again.

Mine fit a little funny because I have super short toes. Even if they're all the way in the toes bend up and around when I walk. I also had to get a size down from where I measured. It sounds like yours may be a little loose. Try a smaller size and to put them on, bend it back in the middle and get your toes completely in the holes before you pull the heel on.
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Where specifically are your blisters? I had blister issues at the base of the big toe but along the side of the foot, not the bottom. I solved the problem with these:

http://www.goengo.com/

The Engo blister patches worked well for me. I have had the same pair in my VFFs for over 2 years now. If you want to order them online, you can, or a local running or sporting goods store may carry them.

Blisters appear on the bottom of my heels and big toe every time. I'll look into those.

Sounds like they are just too big.=(
  • Becca308
    Becca308 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Bikila's that I bought in February. I love love them, but am finding it really hard to break them in for running. 3.5km seems to be my limit before my ankles hurt. I know this is because I have to change the way I run, but it's just not getting any more natural for me.

However, that being said - I have had NO blisters from these, and my knee problems have gone away. I also find that it's comfortable to run through puddles because the shoes are so lightweight they dry quickly and don't rub at all. I wear them all the time casually, I just wish I could run my September 10km in them..........
  • jjhenry5
    jjhenry5 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My first pair were KSOs, and I did blister in the beginning. For me, it was mostly adjusting my running form so that I wasn't pushing off; more of a lifting the foot action. I trained barefoot for awhile to get a feel for the correct form. I'm in Komodo Sports right now, which is a little softer in the footbed.