Lifting??

Options
I'm completely new to MFP and I love it! But I don't feel like just eating right and running is gonna cut it for me. I squat and jump rope before and after running (sets of 50) and I want to push it further. Would lifting help shape the body I want? I'm 5'5 and 192, but I don't look or even feel 192. I hadn't weighed myself once over the summer and the last I did I was at 170.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Lifting helps with body composition a lot. You can lose bodyfat but not scale weight with lifting and it's great!

I lost two pant sizes and barely any scale weight.

Do a little research into the different lifting programs and find one that suits your needs/goals.

As a beginner, I wouldn't make up a routine on your own.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I love the strength workouts in these books:
    The New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Female Body Breakthrogh
    Drop 2 sizes

All three come with food plans, too, which do not advocate calorie counting but I've only had success with doing my calorie counting, so I do the food plan on my own and just use the workouts from the books. I like these programs because they keep me going 3 days a week with easy to follow weight training, and there's a lot of variety. You. Need a gym, though, for all but the last (and for that one, you need some weights of your own if you don't have a gym).
  • BaylorC
    BaylorC Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Lifting as a female is not only amazing for your body but does wonders for your confidence. I got thin by doing cardio only. When I started lifting I REALLY began feeling good about myself. Strong is sexy! It can be intimidating at first if you go to a gym. If you can afford a trainer get one. If not, give with a buddy and watch what other people do.
  • ericwhitt
    ericwhitt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    A lot of people seem to suggest the Stronglift 5x5 for anyone starting into weight lifting. It's 3 exercises a day, 3 days a week. Alternate between 2 different sets of 3. Day one is Squats, Benchpress and Barbell Rows. Day 2 is Squats, Overhead press and Deadlifts. Very easy to learn, nice app made for tracking your progress and quick too. Me and the wife do it together, takes about 40 minutes for us to do completely. She was new to weightlifting starting this, so sometimes even doing the 45lb bar for certain exercises was too much for her. If you can't squat 45, use Kettle weights. If you can't OHP the 45 bar, you can start with dumbells or the shorter curl bars with ~30lbs of weight.
  • smicci1
    smicci1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting as a female is an amazing confidence booster. I'm just starting the weight loss portion of my journey, but I have been lifting for a few months now, and feel stronger each and every day. Bodybuilding.com has a ton of information for beginners, and some really solid programs you can follow to get you started. I'm on a six day on, one day off routine right now. Start slow and light, and work your way up from there. My husband and I lift together, so I know I always have somebody who knows what they're doing with me, but if you don't have that, try seeking the advice of a trainer to get you started.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    smicci1 wrote: »
    Weight lifting as a female is an amazing confidence booster. I'm just starting the weight loss portion of my journey, but I have been lifting for a few months now, and feel stronger each and every day. Bodybuilding.com has a ton of information for beginners, and some really solid programs you can follow to get you started. I'm on a six day on, one day off routine right now. Start slow and light, and work your way up from there. My husband and I lift together, so I know I always have somebody who knows what they're doing with me, but if you don't have that, try seeking the advice of a trainer to get you started.

Bodybuilding.com is a great resource i always recommend it too, but one thing to note if you do one of their routines make sure its a beginner full body program! I repeat make sure its a beginner program. A lot of the workouts on it are for intermediate and advanced lifters and is usually a bro split (which isnt bad but not typically for beginners) and is high volume.

When my fiance wanted to get into lifting i suggested stronglifts 5x5 it tells you how much to lift, has an app, and uses full body compound exercises which is what you should be focusing on. Also youll see this program constantly suggested and its because its easy and prople have seen good results from it.

Like the above have said it will help shape your body. If youre in a calorie deficit you probably wont gain much muscle (if any) but it will help you retain muscle. So as you lose, the muscle you do have will show more.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I love lifting!! I started with a few free weights at home and watching fitnessblender videos on YouTube, great resource! Then I joined a gym and got a personal trainer- great experience but pretty expensive so after a while I cut down to going every other week and did more research on my own with other YouTube channels and bodybuilding.com and now I build my own workouts based on what I like best from all that I've learned. Following a specific program would probably be a good place to start if you can't get a trainer- just be sure to thouroghly research each exercise BEFORE you hit the gym and try to do it so you get the form right.

I'm a visual learner and love the free abundant resources of YouTube channels, here's a few I follow for lifting info, workouts, form, inspiration, and diet advice:
    Fitnessblender
    Bodybuilding.com
    Mike Matthews
    Scott Herman fitness
    Live lean TV
    Live lean tv daily exercises
    Athlean X
    Jen Heward
    Kara Corey fit life
    Gauge girl training
    Obese to Beast
    Cookie Miller
    Bro science life (this one is purely for laughs)
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    there is a really great update to new rules of lifting for women, it's called strong. I really recommend it!
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Also FYI if you do start lifting you will want to make sure you get enough protein daily, and "enough" for you maybe more than the default given by myfitnesspal so look that up and adjust manually if needed.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    You'll still need to use myfitnesspal properly as well- measuring and logging everything you eat and staying within that calorie goal.. you're right, "eating right" is not enough and no exercise will make you lose weight unless you are also eating in a caloric deficit.

You gained 20 pounds over the summer so it seems you tend to over eat (eat in a caloric surplus) naturally, so it will be even more important for you to track food & watch your calories. I'm the same way, I tend to over eat or eat at maintenance, I have to really pay attention to be in a deficit. Even the lifters/bodybuilders will tell you it's 99% diet that gets you the results you want, and by diet they don't just mean eating healthy foods they mean eating the right amount of calories, getting enough protein, and having the correct macros.

Macros are your protein, carbs, and fats. Myfitnesspal has its own default macros ratios but you can adjust them in the "goals" menu, and if you want to check your macros as you log your food it's accessible at the bottom of your food diary page just click "nutrition".

IIFYM.com is a great resource for figuring out calories and macros if you want to set it up yourself rather than using the myfitnesspal defaults/formula.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I loved strong lifts 5x5 - super easy to follow, doable time commitment and for me a considerable gain in terms of fat loss/body recomp.