Coconut oil alternatives

Options
Hi! I believe that coconut oil is the only oil that holds its nutrients at high heat and doesn't get rancid, so I try to cook with it. However, I really can't stand the flavor of coconut, never have. Anyone have any suggestions as to another sustainable high heat cooking oil? Please don't reply just to debate my views on oil, thanks!

Replies

• Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I use Canola Oil....but I'm not a great cook so I'm not sure if that's one that is good for holding nutrients at high heat. I'm so cooking challenged I didn't even know they made coconut oil to cook with! But now that you have informed me, I think I will have to go buy some! :-)
  • keepinup
    keepinup Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use grapeseed oil... a friend of mine got me started on Wildtree foods and I love them (mostly grapeseed oil-based).
  • KayronM
    KayronM Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Try peanut oil
  • saffronblue
    saffronblue Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't know it for a fact, but I heard recently that Grape Seed Oil is good for high heat cooking, and peanut oil. There are also folks who believe using lard is a good alternative.
  • skinnypigeon
    skinnypigeon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Use the refined coconut oil, the virgin unrefined has a strong coconut smell and flavor, great for baking and cooking IF you love coconut, my husband does not, but I didn't want to lose all the benefits of using this wonderful oil. So I used the refined version which isn't AS nutritionally beneficial but doesn't have the coconut smell or flavor and still does not turn to trans fats when heated. I keep both in my pantry! Also great over popcorn =)
  • osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Options
    Use the refined coconut oil, the virgin unrefined has a strong coconut smell and flavor, great for baking and cooking IF you love coconut, my husband does not, but I didn't want to lose all the benefits of using this wonderful oil. So I used the refined version which isn't AS nutritionally beneficial but doesn't have the coconut smell or flavor and still does not turn to trans fats when heated. I keep both in my pantry! Also great over popcorn =)

Hmmm. I might have to try that!

Also- to everyone who suggested grapeseed oil, thanks! I feel like I recently read that in a vegan cookbook so i'll check it out. Does it have a fruity flavor?