Discouraged!

Options
Okay, I ballooned with my last two pregnancies. There really is no excuse for my weight, I let it get out of hand. Period. Now that I want to make a change, which I am adamant about, I have realized I have no clue as to what exactly I am doing. I got the shred, been getting as far as I can on it, which is sadly, only about 12 minutes. (This is going from a VERY sedentary lifestyle) I will NOT give up, I just want to make sure I am doing this right. I am following my calorie goal as best as I can, doing pretty good on that actually.... (Going grocery shopping for LOTS of fresh fruits and veggies tomorrow) Cutting out ALL junk! I am confused about the water thing. Eight glasses for a total of 64 oz. a day? Or half of my own weight, turn that number into oz and drink that?? Do I NEED a HRM? When do ppl typically see results START? LOTS of questions, I see that you guys/girls seem to know an awful lot from experience... Help me out!

P.S. How efficent is it for me to spread out extra exercise during the day? I am talking jumping jacks, crunches, reverse sit ups, etc. Is it NOT as good to do them throughout the day than too bunch them together in a set routine? These are in additon to what I can do of the shred. Thanks!!!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Don't try to overload and do total 180 from what you used to do. It's hard to go from sedentary to all out working out and eating clean.
    Start with just working out 30 minutes a day even if it's just walking. Each week add a little more. Same with eating. It's really more about portions and caloric intake than it is about what you're eating. If you like burgers, there's no reason to cut them out completely, just don't get a big one and don't eat the fries with them.
    It's easy to give up when you're overwhelmed with trying to change everything at once. Baby steps.
  • Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    I don't really have any advice except to keep pushing on, but I did want to say welcome and good luck!
  • DRJJ2004
    DRJJ2004 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    totally agree with ninerbuff. On the water drink at least 8 glasses a day or more. I dont' really think that you can drink too much.
    On activity...you can break it up throughout the day. All excercise adds up. But don't burn yourself out too quick..find a pace that you can live with...as long as the scale is moving. By cutting your portions, drinking water and excercising you should start to see results in a week or two. Normally you'll have a big loss the first week and then a smaller one or none at all the next week. Don't get discouraged. As long as you're moving and eating correctly, it will come off.

Hugs!!
  • cjsgrimlin
    cjsgrimlin Posts: 246
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with you. I lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks from just drinking enough water and watching calories. I'm doing different workouts from turbo jam to help me along, normally when the girls are taking a nap.

Keys to help: Do get rid of the junk food
    If you feel hungry drink water first
    if you can't drink water or like me don't like it get some mio or crystal light
    TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME
    go slow, work on the water and food first, then start adding in the workouts!!
  • aneisiena
    aneisiena Posts: 63
    Options
    I think you're on the right track by asking all these questions...you're only a step away from becoming a fitness nut--which is GOOD! From your previous activity level, I would recommend you start off by making exercise a habit. Do anything from with speed walking, light biking, or the elliptical the same time every day. Once you make a habit of doing those things 4-6 times a week, then you can change up what you do and find a favorite routine. I'm not an expert with 30DS, but you should do it again after doing the aforementioned and you WILL see a difference with your endurance :-)

Best of luck!
  • Dokks
    Dokks Posts: 16
    Options
    Ninerbuff is dead on right. I'd also add, take all your measurements and keep track of those on a weekly/bi-weekly basis. They can give you a better indication of progress than strictly weight, especially when first starting.

You 'll be building muscle and the scale will tell you that you haven't lost much. It lies. ;)
  • irchrismm
    irchrismm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    HRM takes out the guesswork for how many calories you burn. You can still lose weight without counting an measuring and weighing everything, but if you want to get the most out of your weight loss and get the most bang for your buck, then you will have to do the things that will maximize the loss in the shortest amount of time that will be a long term loss. People who do it the wrong way get quick results at first, but hurt themselves later when they can't keep the weight off. Remember that this is a marathon and not a sprint. good luck and keep at it!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    To answer a few of your questions:

Drinking the recommended 8 cups of water a day is essential (or more!). I typically drink 12-14 cups a day. So yes, I am drinking half my weight in ounces of water, but not purposefully for that standard, I am just doing it.

You don't need an HRM, but they are handy and great for accurately tracking your calories burned as well as knowing different heart rate levels throughout your workouts. If you have money and really want one look at the Polar FT4 or FT7 these are good ones that aren't too expensive. There are lots of other great HRMs out there as well...just make sure it has a chest strap and you input your measurements...and it shows calories burned.

Results are different for everyone. Lots of people start seeing results 2 weeks to a month in. Some sooner, some longer.

Anytime you can get in extra exercise is excellent. You certainly don't need to limit your exercise to a 30 minute set once a day. Do what you are comfortable with and don't over strain yourself though. If you've got time and energy to do crunches, jumping jacks, etc throughout the day then do them! Its a great boost. Also try to take walks. Doing 30 Day Shred is great, the wife and I have been doing it together. It is tough but you can do it!! The first few days are the toughest. Strive to make it all the way through without shutting the dvd off early...even if you have to take lots of breaks or have to just do part of the movements its better to get through all the various exercises than to just do the first few and stop. Trying all the exercises will get different parts of your body moving and feeling the pain! lol :-)

Keep up the good work and if you want to add me as a friend feel free!
  • misssonyab04
    misssonyab04 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!!! I'm so happy I found this group...
  • crysmiss86
    crysmiss86 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. Make sure to drink lots of water. Just keep plugging along.
  • mamaDaisyJ
    mamaDaisyJ Posts: 395
    Options
    I started at 8 glasses of water a day, and when I quit soda it just kinda crept up. Now I get anywhere from 10-15 glasses. I drink mine through a straw, which also helped me quit smoking!
    If you can only get through 12 minutes of the shred at a time, try getting the other 13 minutes in there an hour later. As long as you are moving, you are improving!
    The first week, people usually see the biggest loss due to loss of water retention. When your body gets the water it needs regular, it doesn't hold on to so much of it. Then it should even out according to your goals and caloric intake.
    Personally I eat back about half of my exercise calories (on an ideal day). There are a lot of theories on how much you should eat back, if any at all. So, I went for in the middle. Besides, when I go swimming and burn 600 on top of workout... how are ya sposed to eat all that? lol
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I should say, you can drink too much water, but you'd have to be exceeding 1 liter an hour with no food or other source of nutrients and electrolytes before you'd do any damage, so drink as much as you feel comfortable drinking each day.

Don't try to do too much at once. You'll burn yourself out. Make changes one or two at a time until they've "stuck" and then change something else. I started by trying to walk more. Then I started MFP and tracking my calories. Then I started adding more water into my day. Then I decided to try walk/run intervals. Now I'm working on adding more protein into my diet. And so on.

A heart rate monitor is helpful, especially if you're doing workouts which don't have any other way for you to calculate them. Zumba is a good example because everyone is going to burn differently and each workout will be different, as well. I personally don't have a working HRM right now, and I'm doing fine without it, but I do plan to get a Bluetooth one in the near future that will interface with the training program I use on my Android phone.

Good luck!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    For the water thing, I tend to go by the pee test. If I'm peeing mostly clear, I'm drinking enough. The actual amount I drink changes depending on my activity level. When you first start drinking enough, you will pee constantly. Just keep going, it gets better once your body has flushed itself.

For results, check both weight and measurements. One may change while the other stays the same so if you're checking both, you have more chances to see a positive change and that will help keep you motivated. I haven't seen much change in either but I now have definition in my calves. Watch for positive changes of any sort and use those to stay motivated.
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Good for you! That "I *am" gonna do it" attitude is critical to success, in my opinion. After all, you're not going on a diet, right? You're going to change everything you think about food, starting now, for the rest of your life. It's a big, big deal when you think about it like that, but it's totally and completely doable.

You're off to a great start: shop for fresh food, not junk (I now put a whole lot of processed boxed and canned foods in this category). When you eat out, check websites first for menu options and nutritional info (and be prepared to have your mind blown at the sugar and sodium content of A LOT of stuff).

Water is good, lots of water is better. I probably average 14-15 8 oz. glasses a day (working at home makes all those trips to the loo easier). :)

One of the best things I ever did was get a heart rate monitor; there's no better way to know what YOU burn than to measure your own heart rate and use that as your guide. I got the Polar FT4 about 3 months ago and it made a big difference for me. Others have probably already said it, but make sure you get a good one that has a chest strap. The accuracy is worth the spend.

I'm with everyone else: slow but steady is good, and it helps avoid burnout. You're gonna do great. Rock on!
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Water is vital to living and even more vital to weight loss and healthy life. So 8 8oz glasses should be minimum. I also use the pee test. If by mid afternoon (about 3hrs after lunch) my urine is almost clear - I am drinking enough. If its not - I go right then and down 16oz.. Also a couple suggestions - when you first wake up in the am drink 16oz of cold water. It will get you hydrated and boost your metabolism! Then continue to drink water throughout the day.

I do not have a HRM, I'm sure they are helpful. But I don't think it is a necessity.

Don't deprive yourself. Allow a cheat day. That way if/when you go out with your friends or family and you want a piece of cake you don't throw your body for a loop. Cheating/Splurging is okay....in moderation! Fridays are usually mine.

Exercise through out the day has been said to be better. 2-3 15min bouts burn more calories and give a bigger boost to metabolism than one 45min workout. I try to do one 45min in the morning and then one or two 10-15 min workouts in the afternoon and evening. But any exercise is good! Even if its just taking the stairs at work or parking further away at the grocery - its better than nothing. Continually increase when you feel ready. DOn't over do it - that will knock you down for a few days. Take is slow and build up!!

Best of luck on your journey