Kale Recipes Anyone ??

Options
xAmeenahx
xAmeenahx Posts: 34 Member
Hi Everyone! I've been hearing for a while now that kale is super good for you, but I have no idea on how to prepare it. I tried making it before but it was very, very bitter. Does anyone have any recipes they can share?

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    You can cook it much like collard greens.

If you're eating it raw in a salad, you have to massage it in oil first to break it down and make it tasty like this. After it sits for a while, you can throw in the rest of the ingredients.

I also make chili occasionally with ground turkey, sweet potato, and kale, or an African peanut stew that is made with peanut butter, sweet potato, and kale. I like the sweet potato or butternut squash and kale combo.
  • bethhile81
    bethhile81 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love making Kale chips! So good, and they help that wanting something crunchy fix.
  • leeannhartley
    leeannhartley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Beth how do you make the kale chips please
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Sautéed with lots of fresh garlic, salt and some olive oil
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Sautéed with lots of fresh garlic, salt and some olive oil

I do that often too, my fav recipe for kale. I add onion and mushrooms though to it.
  • fantasyburns
    fantasyburns Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A favorite of mine..

Ingredients

1/4 avocado, peeled and pitted
    1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
    1/4 lime, juiced
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 cucumber, diced
    1/2 bunch kale, roughly chopped
    salt to taste

Directions

Mash avocado into coconut oil in a bowl; add lime juice, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder and mix well.
    Place cucumber and kale in a bowl; add dressing and toss to coat. Season salad with salt.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/242084/simple-kale-salad/
  • fantasyburns
    fantasyburns Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Here is a simple recipe...you can always experiment with other spices, lime juice, etc.

Ingredients

1 bunch kale
    1 tablespoon olive oil

1 teaspoon seasoned salt

Directions

Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a non insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper.
    With a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner. Drizzle kale with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt.
    Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, 10 to 15 minutes.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/176957/baked-kale-chips/?internalSource=hub recipe&referringContentType=search results&clickId=cardslot 10
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I like it as a salad green but you have to dress it 30+ minutes before you eat so it can soften up. Some people massage it but no need as the acid in the dressing will do it for you. Love it with some avocado!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options

I make mine like this:
    Take one bunch of fresh kale, and remove the ribs, keeping the leaves as large as possible.

Rinse the kale leaves in a colander--do NOT shake off excess water (it helps the spices stick!).

Spray a cookie sheet with no-stick spray, and arrange the WET leaves on the tray. Sprinkle liberally with your favorite spices ( I like Tajin or curry powder).

Bake in a low (250 degree) oven for about 25 minutes to an hour-- or until leaves are crispy dry.

Remove from oven, let cool, and enjoy, or store in plsatic storage bags for later. They have a tendency to shatter when removed from the cookie sheet, which is why I keep the pieces as big as possible.

I throw the ribs into the freezer for when I'm making vegetable stock.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
  • sandyymca
    sandyymca Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I chopped up two thick slices of bacon and sauted it in a pan. When it was almost done I added sliced onions/salt/pepper/ red pepper flakes, cooked it till it softened a bit, added a clove of garlic and 1/2 a small head of cabbage sliced. I mixed it all around until the cabbage was softened. While everything was still warm (not hot) I added baby kale and one chopped green onion. I kept adding kale until it was basically 70% kale. That is my lunch for this week. Baby kale isn't as bitter. It's like warm savory salad. Really satisfying.
  • sourjam
    sourjam Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Works great in a shakshuka too!!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My daughter places 2-3 big leaves of kale in a 9" square cake pan and puts several ounces of shredded cheddar on top of all that and bakes it until the cheese is melted. She seems to like it because she does it often.
  • Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I never set aside enough time to let raw kale sit, so I'm a "massager."

It's quick and easy. Prep the raw kale by removing the ribs and chopping it into bite-size or slighty larger pieces. Toss it in a bowl with a little vinaigrette (or the dressing/salsa of your choice), and squeeze it all together with your hands until the kale softens up--just a minute or two does the trick.

It sounds insane, I know, but it totally changes the texture and taste. I used to hate kale, and now I use it often as the base for salads. You can add whatever else you want after you've prepped the kale.

I also add kale to lentil dishes and soups--not a lot, just a little to give it more fiber and bulk.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    Breakfast recipe .. Kale Eggs

4 eggs
    2 kale leaves
    1/2 cup or so of shredded mozzarella
    1 tbsp of oilive oil

Heat skillet to medium, add olive oil and let it ... you know get it hot ... add kale leaves that you hopefully cut from the stem ... let it get all wilty and pour in your eggs ... make them like scrambled eggs until cooked to your liking and remove from stove ... add mozararella, let it melt

Serves 2
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »

That looks awesome...I have a ton of kale going to waste in the garden and am not a particular fan, but this looks delicious. Kale soup coming up this weekend!
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    vingogly wrote: »

That looks awesome...I have a ton of kale going to waste in the garden and am not a particular fan, but this looks delicious. Kale soup coming up this weekend!

You have veggies, in your own garden, going to waste????!!!! Shame.
    Pick all the beggies, wash them, shop up, place into bags, freeze and enjoy throughout the year instead of buying later on. Wasting good produce is well, a waste ;)

Oh my goodness. It is scandalous how many beautiful organic, heirloom vegetables go into my compost bin (they become food for next year's veggies). That is after packing a large chest freezer full of tomatoes, strawberries, peaches, rhubarb, salsa, and assorted freezer jams, packing a root cellar with potatoes and leeks, canning a significant amount, and giving a couple hundred pounds away to a local food pantry. Poor kale gets the short end of the stick! ( As do okra, eggplant and tomatillos...I like to grow them, but not eat a lot of them). Fortunately it lasts well into the winter and I can pop a cold frame over it. I have 5000-ish sq ft under cultivation for edibles...I honestly need some chickens or a feeder pig, but unfortunately I live in a city and that is verboten. I don't see things as going to "waste" when they become part of the production cycle, but I sure would like to see my beautiful produce become eggs and bacon instead of soil! :)
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    xAmeenahx wrote: »
    Hi Everyone! I've been hearing for a while now that kale is super good for you, but I have no idea on how to prepare it. I tried making it before but it was very, very bitter. Does anyone have any recipes they can share?

I just eat it steamed and make sure it is soft, not tough. Sometimes I will turn the burner down and leave the lid on to make sure it is well cooked. I steam it because I read somewhere (I think the Mayo Clinic) that steaming is the best way to keep the nutrients. So far I haven't had any bitter kale -- maybe the steaming changes that.

Right now I am shaking on some garlic pepper (McCormick makes the one I use).
  • tisaria
    tisaria Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just made this last night, it is AMAZING.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/harvest-kale-salad-with-roasted-winter-squash/

Massaging the kale with olive oil is the key to making it less bitter and more texturally appealing. Make sure you cut out the stems or if you get the pre-bagged stuff to pick them out. They are woody and gross and not appetizing lol.

As far as that recipe goes, you can eat the skin of the acorn squash, so no peeling or fiddly bits like with butternut squash. You could probably even get away with roasting bagged/frozen precut stuff if you can't find acorn squash.

I didn't have pomegranate arils, so I subbed in fresh cranberries. I used about 3/4 cup of cranberries and squeezed each one until it popped and threw them in a bowl with about 1/2 tbsp of sugar. I stuck that in the fridge for a few hours before dinner and it was super good!! Ill try to attach a picture URL, it was also a BEAUTIFUL salad.

5seuiepgucyh.jpg
  • jor3c
    jor3c Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wash & remove stems and toss in with stew/soup fixings for delicious healthy meal! Yummy even the pickiest eat this way in our house. You can always fix like collard greens with a bit of fatback which is how I grew up eating it.
    Reading several others I am going to have a few more options to try it seems. They all sound great!!