Looking for support! Struggling to get started....

Options
Hi, I'm 34 years old and have manged to let my weight creep up to 170 pounds! I really want to loose weight but keep sabotaging myself. DDse anyone else struggle the same way?

Replies

• tinamarie6624
    tinamarie6624 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I did that for years and have finally broken the cycle. I let myself get to 378 Lbs before I stopped the destructive cycle. I am happy to report that I have lost 135 Lbs and am over halfway to my goal.

If I broke the cycle, you can too. It says a lot that you are here and trying to get this corrected. I just had to get my head on straight and now it is and I'm so much happier.

Tina
  • zorahgail
    zorahgail Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yep, I had similar struggles with self-sabotage when trying to lose weight. You're not alone!

Accountability was huge for me to just get exercising and eating right. Yes, I still binged. Yes, I still emotionally ate. Yes, I still skipped workouts. Over time, the consistency added up, and I lost 90-95 lbs.

Eventually I reached a point where I was ready to look at the self-sabotage and deal with the reasons why. It was hard work but totally worth it.
  • reezle2603
    reezle2603 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That's a great achievement though Tina - well ddone! Same to you as well Zorahgail! I just feel stuck in the same cycle but really trying again properly! I think it's patience as well - 1 pound a week is great but doesn't look like much to start. Just got to get going again!
  • vveleva
    vveleva Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, reezle2603!
    I'm on the same page. Earlier this year, I tried to stick to a calorie limit and did great for about 2 and a half months and lost 12lb, but then it all fell apart. My weight it slowly creeping back up to 165. I get stuck in that same cycle of try-hard followed by self-sabotage.

I'm a 28yo vegetarian and I've always enjoyed eating healthy foods. My two main blockers are:

1. Eating more calories than I need to (whether from healthy foods or not)
    2. I've been struggling with sugar addiction as far back as I can remember. Chocolate and ice-cream are my worst offenders!

I haven't yet tried having an accountability buddy, but I've heard that it's very beneficial. If you're interested (or anyone else for that matter), feel free to add me :) It never hurts to have additional moral support in this calorie battle!
  • datarusty
    datarusty Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey reezle2603,
    I think it really is all in the head. Find something that motivates you and helps you stick to your diet. I have created an Excel sheet with checkboxes where I check when I have been hardworking sticking to my workout plan and schedule. At the same time, I do not drive myself crazy. If I have to drink 2 glasses of wine, I will. In weekends I will have a proper cheat day. If I get extra 50 cal per day, that is still alright. As long as I'm doing better than last week, last month, last year, it is enough. Don't be crazy to yourself, it will all work out. :) Do it for you, feel better, let yourself shine.

Good luck!!!!
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP since early 2012, on and off. I'm back on logging everything, I mean, everything I eat for 30 days. This gets me back in to knowing what I should and shouldn't eat, portion size, etc. 3 weeks ago I started a trial of Burn Bootcamp. It was a HUGE step for me. I've always been just a go to the gym, put in my 30 min, and go home kind of person so this was a different direction. I've made several friends and we are very motivating. We worry when one doesn't show up for class. Sometimes you need to have someone to help you be accountable, but you have to be able to take the critique when they give it. It is way more mental than physical. Once you get past the mental, it's on to the physical. One step at a time.
  • reezle2603
    Options
    You are all right - it is more mental than anything else. As soon as something goes wrong then I turn to chocolate and cheese! I just really want to break the cycle! I hope it's OK but I'm going to do you all and perhaps you could cast your eye over my food cchoices etc and let me know your thoughts, rrecommendation etc? Would love the moral support!
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,798 Member
    Options
    ugh, thats me lately, ive never been a sweets person until lately, now im hooked on halloween candy, i need some support badly. im determined to lose weight again, anyone is free to add me if you are active on here and want to support each other
  • ShinySkyShaymin1994
    ShinySkyShaymin1994 Posts: 105 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have Autism and I have I let myself get to 370 lost 170 pounds I want you to know if I did it you can too! I started losing weight because my dad passed away from the way he ate packing butter on his food and not caring about his health, I was 18 at the time. my suggestion is take it slow. i.e you usually eat 5 cookies eat 4 cookies if your craving the 5th cookie look for something to distract you, have 4 cookies for a week then go down to 3 and start walking a little. trust me it will show even if it's a little if you eat your normal diet I used to be pre diabetic all I did was eat a little less and my blood sugar was a lot better from July 2014-Nov 2014 and was no longer pre diabetic even lost a little weight I did nothing to my diet aside from eating less in October I said no to fast food and never turned back then a month later slowly cut out soda that was Nov 2014-August 2015 and now I don't even like soda I tried a sip of sprite earlier this year and it was gross and I loved sprite. Eventually you won't even miss it and remember YOU HAVE GREATNESS WITHIN YOU!!!!! NEVER FORGET IT!
  • reezle2603
    Options
    I never thought of doing it like that - I tend to go all or nothing so no sweetshop, chocolate etc and then invariably fail. Perhaps cutting down is the way to go rather than all at once! Amazing aachievement shinyskyshaymin1994!
  • ShinySkyShaymin1994
    Options
    reezle2603 wrote: »
    I never thought of doing it like that - I tend to go all or nothing so no sweetshop, chocolate etc and then invariably fail. Perhaps cutting down is the way to go rather than all at once! Amazing aachievement shinyskyshaymin1994!

Yeah because if you go all out you will likely not stick to it that's why most people on the biggest loser gain it all back. your more likely to stick to it at a slow steady pace that's what I did and I am glad I did I don't crave fast food or soda at all I still crave cookies n cream ice cream once in a blue moon but that's because it's my favorite ice cream but remember reward yourself every once in a while and remember to enjoy it but don't over indulge. admittedly I cut out fast food 1 2 3 after 4 months in thanks to a school assignment but soda was much much harder for me to quit but I noticed if I added full cup of ice I'd feel like I am having the same amount of soda but I wasn't and was satisfied because of it. and thank you and remember if I can do it SO CAN YOU!