Eat when you're hungry?

Options
Ever have one of those days where nothing fills you up? I had a great breakfast, but I had it really early so it wore off well before noon. I was hungry, so I had a snack...A while later it was 11:45 so I made my self lunch (admittedly, not the best lunch but, only 300 calories). I'm gonna give it til 12:30 to see if the lunch "hits me" but if I'm still hungry, what do I do? I have maybe 630 calories left in my day. I haven't worked out yet and honestly, my legs are sore and I didn't really want to. But they say if you're hungry eat -- I just feel guilty if I go over my calories on here. Then I read somewhere that a splurge day is good now and then..but I was on vacation last week so I'm supposed to be stepping it up this week and a splurge day sounds bad...

So..eat when you're hungry?
Or suck it up so you have enough calories remaining to have a meal later?

Replies

• _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Drink a glass of water when you are hungry. Often the thirst mechanism feels like hunger.
  • jackiemomx2
    jackiemomx2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sometimes hot tea will hold me over. I like fruity ones because they satisfy my sweet tooth too. My current kick is Salada white tea with Asian pear.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Try a bowl of porridge/oatmeal. A small portion really fills me up and comes to less than 200 calories.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    if you're doing a lot and burning more, your body will want more. I say if you're truly hungry, you have to eat. If your body is trying to tell you it needs more fuel it's because it needs it. If you're eating healthy foods going over won't hurt you every now and then.....
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Remember, it's ok to go over your calories. Also, if you are doing strength training, it is normal. After you strength yoru metabolism goes into overdrive and is looking for more protein (which the ammino acids can help reduce the soreness). And trust me, there are those days where i can eat well over my calories and still keep it healthy. If your body is saying eat, then eat but make it health.... high in protein and complex carbs. If you seem to be hungry a lot, then you might have to consider the amount of calories you are eating.
  • kittyhorn
    kittyhorn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Drink some water. Also something that I find is those days when I'm so hungry that I'm tempted to eat my desk are the days where I experience a loss. So keep going with the water and your regualr meals, take a walk around the block to distract you....whatever it takes to stay on track.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, the feeling of hunger often comes from dehydration. If you're getting enough water, drink more anyways.

Other than that, yes, I definitely have days where I just can't stop being hungry. It usually happens on the weekends, and I usually go with it. I find that if I'm really hungry at one time of the day and go ahead and eat more, I'll be far less hungry later on in the day, so it usually evens out, more or less. And if you go over every now and then, it's really not that big of a deal. Just try to stick to it tomorrow, or even go under.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry - which ends up being about every 3 hours or so. I plan my calories so that I have 1/4 at breakfast, lunch and dinner and the remaining 1/4 I split in 2 and that becomes my 2 snacks. As for the splurge - it works for me but I also do a lot of calorie staggering. I plan my splurge for one meal during the week. 9 times out of 10 though I get disgusted at the thought of eating anything crappy and just order something healthy.
  • pixelled
    pixelled Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Try to eat foods that fill you up like proteins and fiber. You said you had a 300 calorie lunch but it was "not the best lunch".. if it's high carb/sugar you may burn through it quick.

Also, as everyone has said, drink a cold glass of water which will make you feel full.
  • Jennfur2610
    Jennfur2610 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I agree with the eat when you're hungry. When I wake up in the morning I eat a banana before hopping in the shower. Then after I've showered and gotten dressed I have cereal. This helps my body decide exactly how hungry it is. After a couple hours I might have another piece of fruit or string cheese. I eat small snacks between meals just to "hold me over". I never understood why some people grazed all day, or ate a bunch of snacks, but after I've started eating when I'm hungry I've seen the best results on the scale.