Possibly a dumb question regarding slow cookers and the high and low settings.

I love using my crockpot! It's amazing for lazy people like myself.

I'm just curious. Many of the recipes say that something can be cooked on the high or low setting, but obviously for longer if using the low setting. I'm wondering if it is better to cook it on low if you have the time.

For example, I'm making this pork roast with the bone in along with salsa verde and other stuff in the crockpot (eventually to be shredded). Would it be tastier if I did the 9 hours on low as opposed to the 5 hours on high? I'm putting it in after class today and i usually pick high, but I'm wondering if people have opinions on whether it turns out "tastier" with the low setting.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I don't know the answer to your question. I always put mine on low, because it's on all day while I'm at work.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    doesn't matter a whole lot for taste. Settings are to give you an option if away from home for 9 hours or 5 hours.
  • The_Ugly_One
    The_Ugly_One Posts: 23 Member
    I feel like cooking for a longer time on a lower temperature tends to break things down more, which can be good for meat, but bad for vegetables, depending on what your making. Pork roast that will eventually be shredded: Lower heat for longer time. Beef roast with potatoes and carrots that you don't want turning to mush: High heat and less time.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    I usually cook things in the slow cooker on low unless the recipe specifies cooking on high or I'm cooking chicken. I've found that cooking chicken on low gives it a weird stringy texture that I'm not a fan of.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    I don't believe we've ever done bone-in pot roast in the crockpot, but we've done plenty of boneless. I think. It's been a while. :p

Anyway, the one time we did it on high, it didn't seem to cook evenly. Cooking on low has worked well every time. Obviously, YMMV.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    If I have the time I always will cook it on low, I feel like it stays more moist!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I like the results I get cooking longer on low for most meats.
    I believe the leaner your meat the shorter cooking time is reccomended though in terms of drying out or texture.
  • Gotrek1
    Gotrek1 Posts: 64 Member
    High and Low are the same heat setting. The difference is the cut in temperature.

On high the element cuts back in sooner and maintains a smaller temp differential

On low the element cuts in later and allows the pot to cool more before cutting back in keeping a larger differential.

In plain English. Both settings get to Boiling temp and no higher. What is being controlled is how fast they get to boiling temp.

With that said cooking on low will usually leave your meat juicier and more tender then cooked on high because there is a less rapid shock to the meat. But honestly there is not much difference. And no difference if you are cooking something without meat :)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Both seem too hot to me.. I finally found one with a simmer function and that seems to do better for cooking while out of the house all day.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I've never used the low setting. Mostly I cook beef stew which is 4-6 hours on high. Chicken and pork need less. Tastes great to me.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    I prefer to cook on the faster setting if that's an option, because to me things get a funny taste when they've been cooked too long.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Gotrek1 wrote: »
    High and Low are the same heat setting. The difference is the cut in temperature.

On high the element cuts back in sooner and maintains a smaller temp differential

On low the element cuts in later and allows the pot to cool more before cutting back in keeping a larger differential.

In plain English. Both settings get to Boiling temp and no higher. What is being controlled is how fast they get to boiling temp.

With that said cooking on low will usually leave your meat juicier and more tender then cooked on high because there is a less rapid shock to the meat. But honestly there is not much difference. And no difference if you are cooking something without meat :)

That depends on the slow cooker. On mine, you can sear meat on the high setting (with no liquid, obviously). You can't get a decent sear on low because it doesn't get hot enough.