Remedy for abdominal pain

Options
After drinking a large amount of milk one day, I felt pain in my lower abdomin. I figured I was lactose intolerant and let that slide. 2 days have passed and the pain is still there. I've already booked an appointment to the doctors, I was wondering if anyone knew a way to ease the pain in the meantime.

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Are you consuming any dairy products at all? Sometimes pain lasts longer than a day but it's hard to give advice without a diagnosis. Are you still having diarrhea?
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    It could be gas. Maybe you can try something like Gas-X.
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Are you consuming any dairy products at all? Sometimes pain lasts longer than a day but it's hard to give advice without a diagnosis. Are you still having diarrhea?

My stools have been perfectly fine. I went off dairy for a day but the pain was still there, I don't think it is lactose intolerance, I've been consuming dairy fine without issues. But, Ill find out once I get it diagnosed
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    As I understand, it can take three days for foods to pass out of your system.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Yup. For my lactose intolerance it hits me right away but I can be "set off" for days. I have a quick transit time though (don't aske how I know ;) ) but it's probably because of my crohn's
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    How much time elapsed between the time you drank the milk and the time you felt the pain? Is this pain on the lower right, left, center or just all over that lower area?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yup. For my lactose intolerance it hits me right away but I can be "set off" for days. I have a quick transit time though (don't aske how I know ;) ) but it's probably because of my crohn's

Funny, I thought of you when I wrote this. Sorry! LOL
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    How much milk are we talking about? And how much more is this than usual?
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    How much milk are we talking about? And how much more is this than usual?

I think he said a litre the other day. For me I know it is lactose that's the issue when it hits me within 15 minutes of eating, usually faster. If I get diarrhea later than that I know it is something else I ate/crohn's/ibs
  • blopmiyers
    Options
    How much time elapsed between the time you drank the milk and the time you felt the pain? Is this pain on the lower right, left, center or just all over that lower area?

About 2 hours after drinking it, when I laid down on bed it hit me and I couldn't get any sleep. It's in the lower left. The pain is kind of the same as if I just did a lot of sit ups.

Ill just apply something cold/warm on it for now to see if it helps it in any way.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    i should not armchair diagnose, but i'm pretty sure if i phoned our provincial health hotline and told them i'd had abdominal pain for two days straight with no visible explanation for it, and it was bad enough to keep me awake, they'd tell me to hit the e.r. especially if you're experiencing anything like fever or chills or any other signs that you're actually ill.

good luck. and maybe just in case, be conservative about heat. infection and inflammation tend to love warmth.
  • blopmiyers
    Options
    Well, I was told it was too early to diagnose, if it continues on till next week then I should go to ER. Have to take anti inflammatory meds and apply heat.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    It takes 72hrs to clear a food out of your system and 30 days to completely rid your body of any traces of it for an elimination diet to be confirmatory. It sounds like a classic dairy allergy (not lactose intolerance) and your doctor can test you for it. For sure, if you get nausea, vomiting, and/or a fever, hit the ER. Those are more indicative of things like gallbladder, appendix or pancreas.