Hi! My name is Linda...

Options
...and I need to lose weight! :wink:

I'm 63 and have been obese for at least 20 years. So you know I've tried many, many times to lose weight. So here I am, trying again! Maybe this time I'll have a little more success!

Replies

• Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Welcome Linda! Add me if you'd like. I'll be here a while too.
  • HavaTwizzz
    HavaTwizzz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Linda, congratulations on having the fortitude of mind to join--that's not an easy first step--so give yourself a little credit :) Wishing you the very best--I, too, just joined only 3 days ago...the folks on here are very supportive and encouraging, which I've found so helpful! One day at a time! Good Luck!
  • beachgirl23454
    Options
    You can do it Linda! You are here and are starting your journey with lots of support here.:wink:
  • celtictrek
    Options
    Thanks! Still trying to figure out the ins & outs of the site. But I will gladly add you when I do!
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Hi Linda, What has kept you from being successful in the past? It's likely that other MFPers might be able to relate and then offer you more helpful support/advice. Good luck!
    -LP
  • patricia184
    patricia184 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi, Linda. I'm 65 and been dieting for 55 of those years! Highest weight was 210. I'm 184 now and hope to see 160s within a year! I keep losing 20, gaining 30. MFP is great! Lots of support, friends, recipes. Join a group of like-minded friends and log your food daily, even if you don't want to. No, especially if you don't want to. This is a great place for help and encouragement.
  • dibdobw
    dibdobw Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi Linda. Ive only recently joined here and am also looking for friends to support me and vice veras, add me as friend if would like to
    Debbie
  • louby2
    louby2 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Linda, Ive found this site really good so far! I wish you all the best with your goals. x
  • celtictrek
    Options
    LP, there are a number of things that have stood in my way. I've gotten cocky & thought I could do it on my own. Most recently, my husband was diagnosed with NHL. For the past 2 years, we've been fighting that, and I've just not had the desire to concentrate on myself. He's in remission now and doing very well, so maybe now's a better time. Also, I have severe arthritis & lymphedema, so I'm limited as to the kind of exercises I can do. I try to walk and do stretches as much as I can, but they're not very aerobic!
  • celtictrek
    Options
    Patricia! You hit the nail on the head! Logging my daily food, even if I don't want to! :tongue: It's not like I have that much to do! But I'm by nature a lazy person, and just don't do it sometimes. Then I miss enough days that it's like starting over, so I just quit..:ohwell: .I really need to overcome that!
  • JosieMomGramma
    JosieMomGramma Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Welcome Linda! I am turning 60 in Sept. I have 100lbs or more to lose & I have found this site one of the best ways to keep track of what I eat, as well as exercise. It is so easy once you get use to it. The support & encouragement I get from MFP's is wonderful, especially when I am struggling. We know this weight took a long time to gain, so it too will be a long journey to lose. But what is great here is we are not alone! So many people are with us when we are doing well & when we are struggling. I wish you success & hope you enjoy this site as much as I have. I would love to be one of your friends so please add me if you wish! Josie
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    LP, there are a number of things that have stood in my way. I've gotten cocky & thought I could do it on my own. Most recently, my husband was diagnosed with NHL. For the past 2 years, we've been fighting that, and I've just not had the desire to concentrate on myself. He's in remission now and doing very well, so maybe now's a better time. Also, I have severe arthritis & lymphedema, so I'm limited as to the kind of exercises I can do. I try to walk and do stretches as much as I can, but they're not very aerobic!
    I think lots of us can relate to thinking we don't need help to lose weight! I'm glad, though, that you realize that actually you probably do need guidance (and support!) and are ready to spend a little bit more energy focusing on taking care of yourself--which of course will benefit your husband also. As for your exercise limitations, you might want to post about that on the fitness board and even if no one has advice for you, you might be able to connect with others in similar situations. One of the things that I appreciate most about this site is that I've been able to talk to people who have some of the same body/food issues as I do....things I don't really talk about much in my real life. The support has helped me feel more "normal" and the encouragement does make a difference when I'm struggling. Good luck on your journey to better health!
    -LP