Other side of the fence

Options
Hey Everyone!!

I'm new to mfp and hesitated in posting because unlike the majority, I'm actually trying to GAIN weight. As crazy as that my sound, I'm still hoping to find some support no matter what the goal. Some may ask why in the world would you want to gain weight. To be honest...I'm tired of looking like a 12 year old boy. I'm 30 years old and most people would consider me lucky and say I shouldn't complain, but I don't feel feminine or sexy or comfortable in my own skin. I know I'm on the opposite side of the fence but I'm struggling for results and comfort like everyone else and can be a very supportive boney shoulder to lean on....

Replies

• joannahavana
    Options
    Hello
    I guess everyones desires are different. Good luck. MFP is great as you will be able to monitor th econtent of all foods that you are eating. that might help you along the way.
  • lishac23
    lishac23 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for the well wishes and good luck to you as well!
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    hey! welcome. i think its fine if you need to gain weight, however, you really should make sure its a healthy choice- ask your doctor to see what they say. you said you're "tired of looking like a 12 year old boy" which SOUNDS like you arent doing it for health reasons... and sometimes gaining weight isnt the answer. maybe you can bulk up 5-10 lbs and also strength-train to build muscle for more curves? not sure. but if you're already at the height of your healthy range, you may just have to accept that this is your body type and love yourself the way you are. if you are trying to gain weight, make sure you're doing it the healthy way! ie: dont just eat tons of fast food or whatever, but more of the healthy stuff. (but you probably know that lol)
    at any rate, we're here to support! good luck :)
  • thordisintho
    thordisintho Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different and some people need to gain to be healthier and more confident.
    I'll be happy to support you :)
  • rmmllr
    rmmllr Posts: 1
    Options
    One of my friends is in the same boat. He is trying to eat 6000 calories a day because he is a distance runner. He's 30 and 5'9" and weights less than 140. Hang in there, you can do it.
  • T0M0
    T0M0 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hi, your definitely in the right place to help you achieve your goals. The tools MFP offers and the community spirit of the MFP members is the best out there.

Good luck on your journey.
  • newday4me
    newday4me Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi there,
    Thank you for having the courage to post your thoughts and concerns. Many of us forget that there is another side of the fence. As women, we want to feel feminine and attractive. I can totally relate to that. I have not come across any one else on the site with the same issue as yours, but I have found a very supportive and encouraging community. I wish you peace and strength in your journey. Whatever you do, don't give up. Take care of yourself and take care of business.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you, what are you doing to gain, are you exercising, or just stuffing yourself :smile:
  • Pynkklady
    Pynkklady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Girl, if I could give you any of the weight I'm working on losing, you could have as much as you wanted! :laugh:

It's not just a sight for those who want to lose weight, so sure you'll get the support you need here. Best of luck on your journey and feel free to add me, if you'd like.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    MFP is about getting healthy by tracking your food and exercise and of course the support and motivation of the MFP family!!

Welcome! It isn't just about losing weight but getting healthy :happy:
  • lishac23
    Options
    Wow!! Thanks to everyone for your encouraging words. I had a feeling this would be a great place to be! :-) I know its not all about outward appearence and the main reason I am here is to get healthy. I've been trying to stuff myself with junk food or fatty foods thinking it would put the weight on. The only thing it does is make me sluggish and I shutter to think what my cholesterol and blood sugar looks like. I want to do it the healthy way and even if I don't gain much at least I'll be able to take my kids to the park without having to give the "Wait, Mommy is tired".

Thanx for all the support....lets get HEALTHY!!!
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    All the best on your journey... :flowerforyou:
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Thanks to everyone for your encouraging words. I had a feeling this would be a great place to be! :-) I know its not all about outward appearence and the main reason I am here is to get healthy. I've been trying to stuff myself with junk food or fatty foods thinking it would put the weight on. The only thing it does is make me sluggish and I shutter to think what my cholesterol and blood sugar looks like. I want to do it the healthy way and even if I don't gain much at least I'll be able to take my kids to the park without having to give the "Wait, Mommy is tired".

Thanx for all the support....lets get HEALTHY!!!

My advice would be weights, and good whole nutrient rich foods. Find a good protein powder and start making protein shakes (go to bodybuilding.com) for ideas of how to pack on the muscle and shake recipes). Don’t worry about looking like the incredible hulk, it won’t happen. Lift weights, eat at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, eat whole sources of carbohydrates (fruits and veggies) and don’t be afraid of fats (just stay away from hydrogenated oils). Just overeating will not get you where you want to be.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    FreeRange is spot on with that advice.. I've just hit my target after loosing weight and now I am in a similar position - I want to eat healthy and eat the right amounts - not eat the right number of calories through junk food.

There are plenty of protein & carb supplements out there if you struggle to eat enough calories - I like the peak body flapjacks - especially on Gym days.

Lots of chicken, quorn, wholegrain pasta and rice, potatoes, fresh fish, fruit and vegetables are all good staples.
  • lishac23
    Options
    What types of weight excercises are good for toning...but not looking too muscular? I've looked at a lot of body building sites before finding MFP and most of the workout/diet suggestions are geared towards men who want to "bulk up". I just want to put a little healthy meat on my bones.