Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Cheat day: Cheat on both diet and exercise, or choose one?

Hey friends,

I was curious to see how people have their "cheat days". Today my body is feeling the effects of my exercises so I will definitely be resting. Then I was thinking should I take a cheat day now on my diet also and just really enjoy the day? But at the end of the day not only will I have more calories consumed and no extra calories burned... How do you guys treat your off days?

Replies

• kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Personally, I would do one or the other.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    I have a hard time staying under 1200 calories on my rest days. I get SO HUNGRY! So I eat around 1400-1450 calories, which is above my usual budget, on rest days. I don't consider that cheating, though. It's still below my maintenance calorie.
  • dmest
    dmest Posts: 98 Member
    I usually exercise even more on my cheat days.
  • JenDOhio
    JenDOhio Posts: 32
    I say one or the other.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I'm of the mindset that a day off from calorie counting - which doesn't have to equal binging or cheating - is good for the mental well-being. Same as your body sometimes needs a rest from exercise.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Normally if I cheat on diet I work harder on exercise and if I cheat on exercise I'll work harder to keep fewer calories on the diet side...
  • Sunibc22
    Sunibc22 Posts: 330
    I try to not spend my exercise calories the day before and the day after a cheat day....I also exercise extra on my cheat day....
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    I am for getting a workout in even on a "cheat day".

For me, it would make it that much easier to get back to a normal routine of healthy eating if I didn't let both aspects (diet & exercise) slide.
  • rebelrace
    rebelrace Posts: 3
    my cheat day involves running the Rebel Race in september. No weights on that day.. just have some fun going through the obstacles on the course.
  • LadyByrd77
    LadyByrd77 Posts: 115 Member
    I exercise on my cheat days it makes me feel less guilty about eating because I never really eat back my calories burned from exercise.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    I exercise every day...I've become a bit of a nut, and I really enjoy it. But, if I'm really feeling the pain enough to not want the gym, I'll go for an hour walk or so.

I don't have "cheat" DAYS...I'll pick a meal. Otherwise, I've just lost all the work I did this week. For me, the lazy habit is one I can pick up so easily, and one day turns into 3 and then I have to start all over. But you know you the best.
  • Atizo377
    Atizo377 Posts: 8
    Darn it, you guys all are telling me what I don't wanna hear, but NEED to hear! LoL My stomach was trying to get me to take them both off, but I knew that didn't sound right. After reading your posts it's pretty unanimous. I do need to rest my body today, now I know that means sticking to my calorie goal also.

Thanks guys! I knew i could count on you guys. I've got some good momentum on my progress and i now know taking a day of from both would have definitely slowed me down. Btw, if you're serious about MFP, add me on here. I could always use some more great friends.

Have a great day everyone!
  • Jennfur2610
    Jennfur2610 Posts: 67 Member
    If I don't feel like exercising then I watch the calories a little more closely. If I decide to enjoy more calories, then I might extend my work out an extra fifteen or twenty minutes. I don't agree with having one specific cheat day. For me that could derail the entire progress that I've made. I don't deprive myself during the week of things I like, chocolate, or carbs. I just eat in moderation. Everything in moderation. This way I don't feel the need to have a cheat day.

Everyone is different. I have a friend in WW who can eat one piece of their chocolate and be satisfied. If it were me I'd eat the entire bag before feeling satisfied.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    For me they kind of go hand in hand. If I take a day off exercise, I get really hungry and end up eating a ton.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    I don't consider 1-2 days off from exercise per week "cheating"! That's my norm.

On my rest days, I pay close attention to my calories. If I go over I try to make up for it in another workout on some other day.
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    I never deny myself what I choose to eat, I simply eat in moderation. I am always under my caloric intake because of the workouts I do. It keeps me sane that way!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    First, I don't consider taking a day of rest a cheat day. It's a rest day and it's necessary. Rest days are just as important as exercise itself, and can be very beneficial once a week. Second, I don't have cheat days. There's days when I choose to eat things I normally wouldn't or I go over my calorie for the day but I don't consider it cheating. it's just an exception that day, and the next day or the next meal I go back to regular eating habits.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    I don't call my rest days "cheat" days. I am not cheating. Your body needs the rest. I call them "Free Days". I rest both exercise and I get one unhealthy meal. Like...fish and chips for dinner! :devil: