Cheat day: Cheat on both diet and exercise, or choose one?

Options
Hey friends,

I was curious to see how people have their "cheat days". Today my body is feeling the effects of my exercises so I will definitely be resting. Then I was thinking should I take a cheat day now on my diet also and just really enjoy the day? But at the end of the day not only will I have more calories consumed and no extra calories burned... How do you guys treat your off days?

Replies

• kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would do one or the other.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time staying under 1200 calories on my rest days. I get SO HUNGRY! So I eat around 1400-1450 calories, which is above my usual budget, on rest days. I don't consider that cheating, though. It's still below my maintenance calorie.
  • dmest
    dmest Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I usually exercise even more on my cheat days.
  • JenDOhio
    JenDOhio Posts: 32
    Options
    I say one or the other.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm of the mindset that a day off from calorie counting - which doesn't have to equal binging or cheating - is good for the mental well-being. Same as your body sometimes needs a rest from exercise.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Normally if I cheat on diet I work harder on exercise and if I cheat on exercise I'll work harder to keep fewer calories on the diet side...
  • Sunibc22
    Sunibc22 Posts: 330
    Options
    I try to not spend my exercise calories the day before and the day after a cheat day....I also exercise extra on my cheat day....
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    I am for getting a workout in even on a "cheat day".

For me, it would make it that much easier to get back to a normal routine of healthy eating if I didn't let both aspects (diet & exercise) slide.
  • rebelrace
    rebelrace Posts: 3
    Options
    my cheat day involves running the Rebel Race in september. No weights on that day.. just have some fun going through the obstacles on the course.
  • LadyByrd77
    LadyByrd77 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I exercise on my cheat days it makes me feel less guilty about eating because I never really eat back my calories burned from exercise.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    I exercise every day...I've become a bit of a nut, and I really enjoy it. But, if I'm really feeling the pain enough to not want the gym, I'll go for an hour walk or so.

I don't have "cheat" DAYS...I'll pick a meal. Otherwise, I've just lost all the work I did this week. For me, the lazy habit is one I can pick up so easily, and one day turns into 3 and then I have to start all over. But you know you the best.
  • Atizo377
    Atizo377 Posts: 8
    Options
    Darn it, you guys all are telling me what I don't wanna hear, but NEED to hear! LoL My stomach was trying to get me to take them both off, but I knew that didn't sound right. After reading your posts it's pretty unanimous. I do need to rest my body today, now I know that means sticking to my calorie goal also.

Thanks guys! I knew i could count on you guys. I've got some good momentum on my progress and i now know taking a day of from both would have definitely slowed me down. Btw, if you're serious about MFP, add me on here. I could always use some more great friends.

Have a great day everyone!
  • Jennfur2610
    Jennfur2610 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If I don't feel like exercising then I watch the calories a little more closely. If I decide to enjoy more calories, then I might extend my work out an extra fifteen or twenty minutes. I don't agree with having one specific cheat day. For me that could derail the entire progress that I've made. I don't deprive myself during the week of things I like, chocolate, or carbs. I just eat in moderation. Everything in moderation. This way I don't feel the need to have a cheat day.

Everyone is different. I have a friend in WW who can eat one piece of their chocolate and be satisfied. If it were me I'd eat the entire bag before feeling satisfied.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    For me they kind of go hand in hand. If I take a day off exercise, I get really hungry and end up eating a ton.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I don't consider 1-2 days off from exercise per week "cheating"! That's my norm.

On my rest days, I pay close attention to my calories. If I go over I try to make up for it in another workout on some other day.
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    I never deny myself what I choose to eat, I simply eat in moderation. I am always under my caloric intake because of the workouts I do. It keeps me sane that way!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    First, I don't consider taking a day of rest a cheat day. It's a rest day and it's necessary. Rest days are just as important as exercise itself, and can be very beneficial once a week. Second, I don't have cheat days. There's days when I choose to eat things I normally wouldn't or I go over my calorie for the day but I don't consider it cheating. it's just an exception that day, and the next day or the next meal I go back to regular eating habits.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I don't call my rest days "cheat" days. I am not cheating. Your body needs the rest. I call them "Free Days". I rest both exercise and I get one unhealthy meal. Like...fish and chips for dinner! :devil: