Excersise, 1200 net and no weightloss

Options
Hi everyone

I put approx. 10lbs back on over the summer (starting in spring). Now I'm desperately trying to get them off again and the scale won't budge.
I'm eating 1200 - 1500 net calories per day and excercising 7 days a week (2 Zumba classes, 3 x strengthtraining + cardio, 2 x cardio only). I average 10k steps each day.
I've read that the body tends to retain water to make up for muscle tear when you start working out vigorously. Do you think that might be the issue?

Replies

• janekana
    janekana Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this? It is a good idea to give yourself a rest day just to make sure that you don't overwork yourself though.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    probably, sounds like you are being impatient too. how long has it been since the scales didn't move?
  • Rockin2014
    Rockin2014 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    janekana wrote: »
    How long have you been doing this? It is a good idea to give yourself a rest day just to make sure that you don't overwork yourself though.
    probably, sounds like you are being impatient too. how long has it been since the scales didn't move?

3 weeks. And the scale has only moved 200gr up and down.
    I've always seen weightloss as soon as I started working out and/or eating healthy.
  • m9900255
    m9900255 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    make sure you are not constipated so eat enough vegetables. My guess is that you drink enough water but not enough to make up for your sweating, so your body is holding up your water. Drink green tea, coffee and drink 3 liters of water a day.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Add 1 or 2 rest days, keep total calories around 1500 and stop eating back exercise calories- see if that works.

Most people way overestimate calories burned and end up eating more calories back than they actually burned.

It could be water retention too as you are thinking- plus you need to give it ag least a month to see your actual loss because of hormonal water retention too.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    You say net calories, so I'm going to ask you for your stats. Height/weight/age... Also, how accurately are you logging your food? Do you use a food scale?
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    You can still do a walk or something on your rest day/days but 7 days a week of intense exercise is too much and may be spiking stress hormones making you hold onto weight and muscles unable to recover.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I maintain at 1600 calories. Do you know your maintenance level? If you are not loosing, you are not in a deficit.

Also, use a food scale to log accurately. I was stuck in a plateau for over a year before using a food scale and discovered I was eating WAY more than I thought I was.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    You can still do a walk or something on your rest day/days but 7 days a week of intense exercise is too much and may be spiking stress hormones making you hold onto weight and muscles unable to recover.

^This is what I was going to say. OP you could be holding onto water due to stress hormones and muscle repairs . Give your body a chance to rest between workouts or alternate strength training with cardio. You need to eat back calories if you aren't already. I'm assuming the 1200 is net. But you might want to up your calories so you don't put your body into stress mode or tire it out.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    It could be water weight or it could be that you are overestimating calories burned during exercise. I would cut back a little on the amount of exercise calories you are eating back and wait a little while and see what happens.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating your workout burn?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    m9900255 wrote: »
    make sure you are not constipated so eat enough vegetables. My guess is that you drink enough water but not enough to make up for your sweating, so your body is holding up your water. Drink green tea, coffee and drink 3 liters of water a day.

while you need to replenish what you lost due to sweating 3 liters of water a day for some is too much.and why should she drink green tea and coffee? whats that going to accomplish? its recommended to drink half your weight in oz of water so if you are 300lbs(example) then you would drink 150 oz,of course you dont have to drink that much,but there is such a thing as too much water and it can be toxic if you drink too much as well. as long as she is getting 8 glasses a day(with a few extra because of the exercise),she will be fine. also if she eats a lot of fruits that are mainly water then she doesnt need extra water.