Hungover Eating

Options
I drink heavily, socially, 2-3 times a week and get hungover easily so it's impossible for me to eat healthy/stay within my caloric intake. I don't have a problem staying sober, I just have fear of missing out (FOMO) when my friends go out for drinks. It usually turns into at least 4 drinks or more in a night. How does everyone else stay away from alcohol/stay on your diet when all you want to do is order a pizza the next day after drinking??

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Drink seltzer with a slice of lime or some other low calorie beverage. No one will realize or care that you aren't drinking alcohol and you won't get the extra calories or cravings. That way you won't miss out with socializing. People will understand. They also will nod and comply if you say you are a designated driver (ex. if a buddy wants to fill your glass). If you keep your glass at least half full of water then people won't try to give you refills.
  • katiebean
    katiebean Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I tend to drink 1,000+ calories when I do drink (even drinking low calorie drinks) but I do it once a week at most, and try to take it into account during the previous week. I'll also go on a run or something that day to give me a bit more to work with. If you're not already drinking low calorie drinks (vodka with soda or a diet mixer, for example), then make the switch. If you are, maybe drink a bit less, or just make it fit because it's worth it (like it is for me). Or have 2 nights out instead of 3.

Hangover day always means pizza for me. But I will get one from the shop which is maybe 600-700 calories rather than 1,200+ calories. Or if I get a bigger pizza I'll just spread it over the whole day.
  • DebSozo
    edited November 2016
    Options
    OP your health is more important. Your friends will understand.
    :)
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    have a FOMO of becoming morbidly obese, developing major medical conditions such as cardiac and respiratory issues, cirrhosis and hepatitis from your very heavy alcohol consumption, and dying. You'll be missing out on a lot of nights out.

Nothing wrong with going out and having a drink now and again, and maybe even tying one on, on rare occasion. I once drank half a pitcher of margaritas while counting calories. But knowing when to stop is the real issue.

Or maybe go out with friends and NOT drink? Or do they pressure you to do so? (not being mean, just a serious question)
  • DebSozo
    edited November 2016
    Options
    have a FOMO of becoming morbidly obese, developing major medical conditions such as cardiac and respiratory issues, cirrhosis and hepatitis from your very heavy alcohol consumption, and dying. You'll be missing out on a lot of nights out.

Nothing wrong with going out and having a drink now and again, and maybe even tying one on, on rare occasion. I once drank half a pitcher of margaritas while counting calories. But knowing when to stop is the real issue.

Or maybe go out with friends and NOT drink? Or do they pressure you to do so? (not being mean, just a serious question)

Some people never drink, others drink socially, and others have varying degrees of drinking "too much" or even alcoholism. http://www.alternatives-for-alcoholism.com/alcoholism-and-hypoglycemia.html

One of my friends has a husband who is a "dry drunk" (her words not mine so no hate please) and he compensates by eating sugary foods.

• applesandtapeline
    applesandtapeline Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Set your priorities in life. Is it your health and well being? Or heavy drinking and fomo?
    Can't have both. Some girls get skinny while living this lifestyle, some gain weight and struggle to keep it off. Alcohol is poison to a body. It does no good.

There are other ways on how to connect with friends, not involving drinking and partying. But I guess everyone has a phase.

So do what's best for you. You make your own life. ;)
  • DebSozo
    Options
    I drink heavily, socially, 2-3 times a week and get hungover easily so it's impossible for me to eat healthy/stay within my caloric intake. I don't have a problem staying sober, I just have fear of missing out (FOMO) when my friends go out for drinks. It usually turns into at least 4 drinks or more in a night. How does everyone else stay away from alcohol/stay on your diet when all you want to do is order a pizza the next day after drinking??

Try to eat a meal with protein before you go so you aren't as hungry and don't drink on an empty stomach. Also it helps to be hydrated. Don't arrive thirsty. Drink water before you go and between drinks. That might cut your number from 4 down to 2 and viola you cut down drinks in half and no hangover the next day. If you do get hungry the next morning try to eat low glycemic, high protein and high fiber foods to stave off cravings. Plain Greek yogurt with berries or a protein shake or something that will stabilize blood sugar levels might help you the next morning.
  • idabest777
    idabest777 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have the same hangover problem. I normally stay within or at least pretty close to my calories on the day/nights i go out drinking...but the next day I just never get full and want to eat everything. What I've found helps *a little bit* is logging everything as I eat it. Seeing the numbers go up with each snack I grab can occasionally make me either choose healthier snacks or just eat less of the junk food. This all depends on my level of hangover though lol
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Not that you want to really do much cooking when hungover, but have a healthy pizza alternative for the next day ready to go. Whole wheat pitas, sauce, reduced fat cheese, and toppings. Or English muffins, thin personal-sized crust, high fiber tortilla as a crust. Easy to assemble and pop in the oven for a few minutes. Even personal-sized frozen pizza will help if you're normally having a large pizza + toppings delivered. It'll save you calories and money.

Have water or club soda and lime between drinks. Stick to low calorie drinks. Show up fashionably late to cut the time you're at the bar or club. Exercise before you go out and cut a few calories from your meals the day before.

I would recommend just drinking less when you're out, but if you don't want to do that, these hopefully will help you cut back and meet your calorie goals.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I don't even know how you can eat hungover, I'm the opposite, I have to force myself to eat after a night of drinking...

in any case, I don't think drinking and keeping calories in check are mutually exclusive, but you may need to tweak the formula to get results...try lower calorie drinks...or less sugary drinks...some drinks may trigger more of a craving for pizza the next day than others, you didn't specify what you normally drink, but maybe wine instead of beer or mixed drinks instead of girlie drinks...
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I usually do my "heavy drinking" (more than 3 drinks) the night before my cheat day. I won't go completely off the rails on my cheat day, but it helps me to have this day the night after drinking because I know I will be starving all day.
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Diet Pepsi
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Just kinda plan for it. If that means less calories for a couple of days or having a less crappy version of a pizza made up ahead of time, just figure out what works for your. Maybe moderate your drinking if you want. Have a glass of water between drinks or something.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    In my experience, it's simply not possible to drink heavily -- to the point of regularly occurring hangovers -- and lose significant weight. If you find a way, more power to you. Social drinking, on occasion, with lots of water -- not a problem.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I'm usually a heavy drinker and I find low calorie Gatorade before I go out really helps with the hangover. As for hangover food, I premake my hangover food the night before so I know exactly how many calories go in it (and it's probably half the calories of something you would get eating out)
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Take a headache pill with a full glass of water before going to bed after drinking--best hangover prevention (along with drinking lots of water throughout the night). Higher quality liquor and not mixing types of liquor are also good ways to enjoy a night out without paying for it the next day. Listen to your body and see which actual alcohols trigger which type of reactions for you. For example, I know that too much tequila makes me throw up and more than two beers give me an upset stomach. Vodka, gin and rum, though, leave me feeling okay. If I want to be social but not drink too much, I'll order red wine because I'm more likely to sip that than drink it down and can make a couple glasses last the evening.

I find that the next day cravings tend to center on greese, protein and carbs (all are needed). That's why so people sort to pizza or burgers (or grilled cheese was my go to). I second the advice to just have a healthier version ready to go. I'll do an egg white omelette with veggies and light toast or light bread with light cheese grilled cheese.

With all of that said though, drinking enough to get a hangover 2-3 times per week every week is REALLY not healthy...... You might want to think about doing it a big less.....
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I get HO easily too. So when it happens its unintentional/unplanned... you know, "when in Rome..."
    My hangovers make me feel sick all day and I rarely eat anything at all for fear of puking. Sometimes this lasts 36-48 hours. Ugh I can gag just thinking about it.

Pre plan your HO food.
    EDIT: The FOMO goes away with age for many and is replaced with other things. I actually look forward to missing any and everything to be in my PJs and in bed. :)
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking excessively. Problem solved.

It is no different from how you handle eating out with friends while watching calories.