Been on point with everything but I started gaining weight all of a sudden any ideas?

Options
Been on point with everything but I started gaining weight all of a sudden any ideas?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you gained? And over what period of time?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Without specifics, no one can comment on this properly.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Need more info. How long were you losing for, how long have you been gaining for, did anything change...?
  • mina02us
    mina02us Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Specifics. Starting weight 245 a month ago. on Monday I was down to 233. Yesterday 235 today 236. What did I do different this week? Decreased carb to 25% and add creatine. I drink a gallon of water daily plus workout 4-5 times daily.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all your solids, and measuring all your liquids?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You work out 4-5 times daily? I'm going to venture a guess that your muscles are holding on to water due to the frequency of your workouts. A three-pound swing isn't anything to get worried about though.
  • mina02us
    Options
    Sorry, workouts are weekly. i do weight everything except water n that's the only liquid I take in
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    I hope you mean you work out 4-5 times weekly? More than once per DAY is overdoing it.

Give it time it could be the supplement, it could be water weight from excess sodium in your diet, increased exercise causing water retention... a couple of pounds in a couple of days is nothing- give it a week or 2 I'm sure the weight will come down again.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Even though you decreased carbs - which would likely cause water retention to drop - you've added creatine, which usually makes people retain water. I'd be willing to bet it's the added creatine.

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to drop carbs, but add creatine?
  • mina02us
    Options
    Should I stop the creatine? I'm an endomorph to begin with and get bulky quick.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    I just looked it up and a normal side effect of taking creatine is gaining between 2 and 4 pounds of water weight when you first start taking it- there's what happened.
  • trigden1991
    Options
    You added creatine which causes water retention.................... Problem solved.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You added creatine which causes water retention.................... Problem solved.

This, plus somatotypes don't mean anything.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    mina02us wrote: »

Well why did you start taking it? It increases performance in the gym. Did you have a reason for taking it or did someone else tell you to take it? Why are you worried about getting bulky, don't guys want to get big muscles generally?

• mina02us
    Options
    I could be wrong on this one but I decideded to add creatine and decrease carb to speed up the fat loss pprocess and still have more energy in the gym.
  • mina02us
    Options

Well why did you start taking it? It increases performance in the gym. Did you have a reason for taking it or did someone else tell you to take it? Why are you worried about getting bulky, don't guys want to get big muscles generally?

I always had muscle mass but never lean. Im trying to lean down to 15% possibly.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    I could be wrong on this one but I decideded to add creatine and decrease carb to speed up the fat loss pprocess and still have more energy in the gym.

That seems logical but someone with more experience can give you advice on if that's a good approach.

My concern is why you're suddenly second guessing yourself just because you gained a little water weight which is a normal side effect of the supplement you decided to start taking.
  • mina02us
    Options
    I always get worried about taking creatine that I will keep on increasing.
  • trigden1991
    Options
    All that is happening is your body is retaining water. You are still losing fat if you are in a calorie deficit. Creatine does not give you energy or speed up fat loss though!