Medical Fat Restriction, injuries: Friends?

Options
glassjailer
glassjailer Posts: 27 Member
edited November 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi guys-

I'm new to tracking calories, and extra new to MFP. 7 days tracked in a row! Whoot!

I'm posting, not out of confusion, but because last July I found that I could no longer eat fat without having severe pain. I've been a pretty religious Ketoer since I started the Atkins diet back in 2001, with a few back slides in between. So, it was a frustrating summer for me, not knowing what to eat, lest I be doubled over in pain. I made it through the first few months on broiled fish and white rice, actually losing weight from eating very light/carefully.

But now, since its looking like this fat restriction may be in place --forever--, and I've been slowly gaining back the 10 lb I lost this summer during the worst of the digestive troubles, I decided to start tracking my intake with MFP. Holy smacks, have I ever been unknowingly eating way too much sugar and sodium!

I don't have too many questions, but would like some friends who understand both medical restrictions and physical injuries (hurt my back badly last Jan., still working on rehabbing through that.)

I'm 35, F, my current stats are 5'10", 167 lb, muscular, lightly active, and my macros are set at 65 carb/30 protein/5 fat. My goal weight is around 150, depending on how much I want to up my lean muscle mass. I've spent much time since I signed up here thinking about ultra low fat recipes, how to rebuild my glutes and back, and eating more confidently, knowing that I now have a handle on what and how much I'm eating!

Anybody else on medical fat restriction? For the keto folks out there, I know eating super low fat isn't great; I miss bacon and eggs and clear skin! I've found I'm adjusting to fat free cheeses, and no butter, and so far the thing I miss most is coconut! But, since my gut is happier this way, I figure I can handle it.
When I first started eating keto, I lost 100 lbs the lazy way, so it definitely works!

I am glad to join others in their fitness and weight loss goals, and while I'm closer to my goals than I was 10 years ago, it seems for me the game has turned on its head and I'm learning how flexible and inflexible the body can be!

Any thoughts, friends, recipes, or encouragement is much appreciated. I live in a pretty isolated area, and going into winter is challenging. Would be great to connect with some folks who can mutually motivate, cheer, and spur with me!

Thanks! Have an awesome day!

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm not on fat restriction per say but I have alo t of food restrictions and if I eat anything fatty (especially meats) it triggers my crohn's disease so I only eat lean meats, etc.
  • glassjailer
    Options
    Food restrictions can be challenging and I hear Crohns can be rough. Do you find eating lean meat only keeps your symptoms at bay or do you get flare ups from any meat?
    Thanks for responding to my post!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    How do you feel generally? When dieting, people are normally recommended to keep fats at a minimum of 0.4g/lb for hormonal function. Just wondering how you deal with this if you've had any negative effects?
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I've always read not to go under 15% min fat in the diet. Are you able to tolerate ANY certain oils ex coconut or olive? That must be rough to go down to 5%. Is your doctor on board with this? I know it isn't any of my business, but this seems extremely low.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Sounds like OP is saying the fat restriction is medially required by the doctor. OP, asking to see a dietitian for tips might be helpful.

There are lots of healthful low fat diets. This is a good discussion of some of the history, if interested: https://rawfoodsos.com/2015/10/06/in-defense-of-low-fat-a-call-for-some-evolution-of-thought-part-1/

Also, many traditional diets (like the traditional Japanese way of eating) are low fat. Here's an Asian diet pyramid that uses the traditional Japanese as one of the sources, although it permits more vegetable oils than you can probably have. Might be useful for ideas: http://www.oldwayspt.org/traditional-diets/asian-diet

I actually find a low fat diet reasonably easy to deal with, although it's not my usual way of eating and I don't really log so won't be helpful for you. But if you explore as with when you started keto you can find enjoyable, flavorful ways of cooking that are within a low fat paradigm. I think the bigger problem with low fat is that people assume that means diet food or products labeled low fat, when in fact many whole foods (most, really) are quite low in fat, basically all starches (tubers, the many, many grains), non starchy veg, fruit, some fish, shellfish, legumes, low fat or skim dairy, egg whites aren't my favorite, but deal-with-able, so on. Depending on tolerance for fat, lots of lean meat too.

If you like spicy food that's a great option for flavor, also explore herbs and other spices.
  • glassjailer
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, folks!

In response to the above concerns that 5% fat seems way to low or even dangerous, I hear you! As a long term kerogen is diet follower, I had NO idea how anyone could survive without much fat in their diet. Ha! Yet, I'm now on month 5 of eating less than 10-15 gm of fat per day, and what is more remarkable, I actually feel pretty good.

My dietary restriction is more doctor suggested, not mandated, but I've gone in for a checkup since going low fat and my blood work, bp etc all perfect. And I'm not wildly bloated, in severe pain, and having all sorts of digestive distress anymore, which is a huge bonus too.

I've dealt with gallbladder dysfunction since I was 19 and caught some nasty liver parasites when I was living in Australia, and traveling through South East Asia. I had gallstones for a long time, the keto diet helped to keep my bile flow running smoothly. But the last two ultrasounds I had of my gallbladder, showed no stones at all. All my cleansing and supplements broke up and swept out the stones! So the doctors aren't sure what to do with me, they don't want to take the gallbladder out, as there are no stones. But I am still having severe gallbladder distress when I eat too much fat. The term for what I have is biliary dyskinesia, atypical.

I don't use oil or added fat in my food. So no coconut, olive etc. Once a week or so I'll have a few cubes of avocado, and I do eat very lean meats everyday. All my fat is cumulative, .5gm here, 1gm there.

Some other positives of eating this way... on a long term low carb diet, I was freezing All The Time! Even on warm days, I could easily become chilled enough to feel ill. Now, in November, 30-40 degree temps don't bother me much. All I needs is a light sweater.
    My energy is stable, I don't feel dizzy as much as I did with keto, and although my skin is drier and has a bit more acne than I'd like, I rather like eating this way. Honestly, I feel pretty great, which is why I'm so bemused! I thought people couldn't live without lots of good, healthy fat!

Lemurcat12! Thanks for those great links. Really enjoyed reading them. I agree, eating fat free packaged foods before plain old 'real' food, is certainly not a smart long term diet plan. I enjoy fat free dairy (cream cheese, cottage cheese, whey powder, sour cream, yogurt) every day, and I wonder if it is the best choice. But protein has got to come from somewhere. Otherwise, I think my sugar fiend might make me rip through a package of fig newtons every other day!