What's the best cardio?

Options
I'm hitting the gym for 40 minutes during my lunch today, but I can't seem to make up my mind about cardio. I have no pre-existing injuries and, as is, I walk a lot.
I'm trying to choose between biking, elliptical, running, and rowing. Anyone have anything to weigh in with regarding the benefits of each?

Replies

• 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical and running. I like the elliptical because its low impact on my knees and I can feel the workout throughout my body. But its to each his/her own. My recommendation is try all the various cardio equipment over your next few visits to the gym. Then do the 1 or 2 that you are most comfortable with and can enjoy. Enjoying the exercise is half the battle of motivating yourself to do it.
  • aneisiena
    aneisiena Posts: 63
    Options
    I vote for running. For some reason, I feel like I'm working harder. I've done 40 mins on an elliptical, but my clothes have never been so drenched in sweat after committing to a 5K every morning on the treadmill haha! I feel like there's more to play with on the treadmill, too. Incline, speed, distance. Truuuust me, I never thought I'D be pro-running...oh, the things endorphins do!

Best of luck :-)
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    Zumba is a great cardio!!! Also, circuit training is great in getting cardio and strength training in. You can google it and find videos to help you find a routine that best fits you. I do Jillian Michaels and depending on the video they are between 25-35 minutes long and you burn a ton of calories during that time frame.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I do like running --- I was trying to take a break because it was the only cardio I was doing for a while. I can build up a sweat on the elliptical, but not like on a bike or a treadmill.

I didn't really think about playinf with the incline at all.... maybe I'll do some circuiting on the treadmill.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    The one that you will do consistently.
  • paul1969
    paul1969 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like swimming
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    Definitely running.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Rowing, it will kick your butt!
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    HIIT - Running...

30 min total

Brisk walk 5 min. to warm up ( I do about 3.8)

Run 30 sec. full out ( I do 8.5 or 9)
    Walk 1 min. to cool down ( 3.5)
    Last 5 min of the 30 walk to cool down...

Push yourself - it is a great fat burner :-)
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    All cardio has benefits! Just choose something you will enjoy. I personally vary my cardio, If I want a quick burn I do interval skipping, the stair mill gets me the highest burn of the gym equipment, I usually warm up with elliptical, and do intervals on the treadmill or incline. There are so many ways to vary it, just pick one and enjoy!!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm staying away from rowing until I can get a trainer correct my form. I'm worried about possibly injuring my back!

Like a couple others have said... pick whatever you can stick to :)
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    The one that you will do consistently.
    ^^^ this one. Personally, I like rowing.
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    cardio is awesome in general!
    so whatever gets you moving and pumping and you enjoy.

I personally enjoy running, arc trainers, and ellipticals. On arc trainer I put my resistance up to 100 and incline 10.
    On the elliptical I put a level 5 -8 depending on how hard I want to work out and i also switch going backwards and forwards.
    Bikes once in a while for me.

I am an outside runner - meaning I just prefer running outside, however, I will run on a tredmill and still enjoy a good run. :)

so all in all, do what's best for you and what you look forward to!
  • hails62
    hails62 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The best/quickest way to benefit from cardio and lose weight is to do them all!! Interval cardio fitness is always recommended, so try to go round the machines doing flat out for 5-8 minutes, taking minute break then onto next machine for same. try do some quick weight strength training before u start cardio for 15 mins if can. I go at lunch break to and take 40 mins. This is the programme my gym recommended and seems to work for me. Good luck!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I can do the elliptical on max level, hill intervals, until the cows come home (ie: looooooong time). Rowing is blah. I barely work up a sweat.

Running kicks my butt and drops the fat like crazy, however.