Advice on how to deal with a "skinny" Friend

Options
My best friend ( sadly only friend) is very supportive of my weight loss to a degree. She is always telling me shes proud of me, that I've come a long way etc. But, she is like 5"5' and 130lbs and wears and size 6 and is obsessed with her weight and appearance and she says she eats healthy but really doesn't. Here is my problem- when I tell her I've lost weight she says awesome lets go celebrate lets gets pizza! She always sends me pictures of the cookies or junk food, comfort food shes eating and when I say something about not being able to eat them ( 1. Im borderline diabetic and 2. don't want to cheat 3. don't really have the calories for the day) she says just go for it eat one, cheat it won't hurt you. I have very nicely said, sorry can't do that, or don't have enough calories for the day etc to her but she just doesn't get it. Today she sent me a picture of a cookie she was eating and posted, SHHHH don't tell, then she says making mac n cheese and that she will make it for me one day. OMG I just want to slap her! How would you tell your friend without pissing her off to please stop!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Dear Friend,

As you know I'm trying to lose weight. While I think you mean this in good fun, when you send me these pictures and tempt me with foods, it hinders my progress. Please don't send me any more of those pictures. Feel free to send shirtless pictures of [insert favorite celebrity] anytime, though!

Thanks!

Tom Hardy, Channing Tatum or Dwayne Johnson, specifically! LOL

I agree with needing to tell her, very directly, that you don't want her to send food pics or tempt with food.
  • Luckadea
    Luckadea Posts: 19 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Just ask her nicely not to share those pictures with you because you are trying to lose weight?
    If she insists on you cheating, then maybe it's better to spend less time with her and more time with friends who support your weight loss goals. Just a thought.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    you are borderline diabetic, ask your friend if she wants you to become ill
    i have never been sent pictures of food my friends or family are eating. its just really wierd.
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    All of the above, plus make some new friends & also have new topics to share with your best friend (not only food ) :)
  • amysuemartin718
    amysuemartin718 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind words and advice!!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Makes you wonder what kind of friend she is. But be honest and tell her that you're trying to lose weight and it's hard for you when she sends you pictures and talk about food. If she really doesn't get it... ignore all the food texts. Maybe she'll get the message?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Run through the list of complications that can come from having poorly controlled diabetes over the long run. Let her know that you are doing your best to improve your health and reduce your risk of experiencing these things, and that you would really prefer to have her support on this. If she still isn't able to support you, delete.
  • amysuemartin718
    amysuemartin718 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Once again thank you everyone for your words of advice and support. Looks like I will be telling her to please stop and I will not worry how she takes it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If she is your best friend you should be able to tell her to stop doing something or tell her how she can support you. Bring up how hard it is to stick to your goals sometimes and how important it is for your health that you do.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Maybe she's trying to subtly show you that you can be at a healthy weight and still have some treats?

You should talk to her about it, tell her how you feel and let her tell you how she feels. You might not agree, but you can still understand and respect each other's opinions.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Tell her to stuff it.

Real friends should be comfortable enough to let each other know when to "shut the front door".

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Send her a pic of your BM in return. Brag about how awesome it was!