Is hypertrophy useful with low weights?

Options
I'm trying to gain mass through a hypertrophy program with 3x10 for most of the lifts.

I did Strong Lifts for about about 2 years and lost a lot of strength during my cut, just to give you some background.

Now, when doing 3x10 my lifts are very low (Bench Press is 100 lbs). Is it even worthwhile to do a hypertrophy program at this point? Will I even gain muscle on a program with such low weight?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    AshwinA7 wrote: »
    I'm trying to gain mass through a hypertrophy program with 3x10 for most of the lifts.

I did Strong Lifts for about about 2 years and lost a lot of strength during my cut, just to give you some background.

Now, when doing 3x10 my lifts are very low (Bench Press is 100 lbs). Is it even worthwhile to do a hypertrophy program at this point? Will I even gain muscle on a program with such low weight?

It's absolutely possible to gain muscle with lower weights and it's also possible to gain muscle in a huge variety of rep ranges.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Yes. Just keep progressing on your lifts. Volume and progressive overload combined with your caloric surplus will drive the hypertrophy.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    The question is whether or not it feels challenging to you to lift it enough that your body will adapt by building new muscle.
  • AshwinA7
    AshwinA7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Richardgravel - Yes, its very challenging since I've never done a hypertrophy program before. I'm not used to isolating muscles and training to failure. It seems from the responses that is enough to gain muscle.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    AshwinA7 wrote: »
    Richardgravel - Yes, its very challenging since I've never done a hypertrophy program before. I'm not used to isolating muscles and training to failure. It seems from the responses that is enough to gain muscle.

You don't need to train to failure. You need to continue to progressively add more volume each week and force yourself to become stronger.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Progressive overload is what is required.
  • joburnolt
    joburnolt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    In order to build muscle, you have to breakdown the muscle fibers through stress and repair them over and over again. That's all lifting, and eating does. Whether you break down those fibers through high repetition exercise with lower weight, or low repetition high intensity exercise with heavier weight all depends on personal preference. Although, each persons body responds differently. If you have more fast twitch fibers, you will respond better to heavier weight with less reps, whereas if you have more slow twitch, you will respond better to lower weight and more repetitions.

Let me know if you have any questions!