Loose weight then tone???

Options
I have lost 40 lbs. in the last 3 months... I have 20-30 lbs. to go! Should I start lifting or wait to reach my goal? I need your input!! Thank you!!

Replies

• kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Should have started 3 months ago. For others reading this post and wondering... do not wait to start strength training.

If the question is "When should I start strength training?", the answer is always "Yesterday!" ;)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Start now, but follow a good, proven strength program like NROL4W, not Pinterest workouts. If you don't have much equipment, try the Nerd Fitness beginner program.

By the way, it's lose, not loose. :+1:
  • King3027
    King3027 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you @kathrynjean_ great input!!
  • crazydogladyjess
    crazydogladyjess Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Definitely start now, you can lose weight and tone, and strength training is an important part of a fitness and weight loss regimen. Great work so far in achieving your goal :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You should also consider slowing down weight loss. You are losing just over 13 lbs of month, which is fairly aggressive and will make it harder to get adequate calories/protein to sustain your muscle mass. If you have a goal of being lean and defined, than the amount of muscle you have will greatly influence it. So if you aggressively cut calories, don't get adequate protein and don't have a progressive overload program, than you will lose muscle (which means lower fat loss and higher body fat %).

The below thread might be helpful for you to get started with a good program to help you reach your goal.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Start lifting asap. It will help your body composition.