Exercise Credit

Options
eamonnspirit
eamonnspirit Posts: 4 Member
edited November 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello!
I have a question if anyone knows the answer. I walk about 2 miles every morning and I record my walking manually online and get about 180 extra calories. Is my account going to give me double credit for steps that I walked during the "exercise" once I sync my Garmin? I don't want to cheat! Ah!, maybe it avoids that if I also record the time I started and finished the exercise walking?

Replies

• faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Some apps, and counters, and devices cancel out the RECORDED vs the ENTERED, IE: automated vs manual entries so that if they happen at roughly the same time they don't get counted twice.

BUT, it all depends on the application, device, and / or software.

Your best bet is to do a test to find out if it is working correctly for YOU!

:) Good luck!
  • eamonnspirit
    Options
    Thanks faidwen! that's what I realized while I was writing the post and it seems that it doesn't give me unearned credit!
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit, not a Garmin, but I don't log any step based activity separately.

I'm not sure why you would log walking if you have a step counting device that syncs with MFP ... Isn't not having to log those activities the whole point of the trackers?
  • eamonnspirit
    Options
    Hi kathrynjean,
    On the day that I was concerned about getting double credit, before I manually logged the 40 minutes of walking at 3mph without stopping, the tracker gave me 69 extra calories for the steps. When I manually entered my exercise, I got 180 extra calories. I believe the tracker doesn't know how fast I'm going and that I was not stopping, so it makes sense to me that I burned 180 calories for hustling around the track for 40 minutes without stopping instead of just 69 calories for "steps." And the fact that I'm losing weight on schedule in spite of meeting my 1890 plus 180 extra credit calorie goals every day seems to confirm this is accurate.
  • eamonnspirit
    Options
    It also took away the 69 after I made the manual entry.