Smoothies

Options
First timer. But anyone got any easy smoothie recipes and healthy as pos got 5 stone to loose :(

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Just eat what you like and hit your calorie goal (the number MFP gave you at setup). Ask for recipes in the Recipe board.
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I use my friend Pinterest to find a lot of recipes for smoothies and healthy recipes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to make smoothies? It has nothing to do with weight loss.

I happen to enjoy them, and they are one of my three main revolving breakfasts (I was mainly into them as a summer thing, though), so I am not anti smoothie and am happy to share ideas (mine may be weird in your eyes, though), but first it's useful to understand why you want to include them. Are you planning to use them as a meal and if so what's wrong with the current meal you are eating? Just trying to shake things up?
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I sometimes have a smoothie for an evening snack if I have the calories for it. My favorite recipe: 2 scoops protein powder, 1 frozen banana (or 1 cup frozen berries), 2 ice cubes, 1 cup water or coconut milk, 1/4 cup full fat Greek yogurt or ricotta, stevia to taste. Using the frozen fruit gives a thick shake-like texture.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I happen to enjoy them, and they are one of my three main revolving breakfasts (I was mainly into them as a summer thing, though), so I am not anti smoothie and am happy to share ideas (mine may be weird in your eyes, though), but first it's useful to understand why you want to include them. Are you planning to use them as a meal and if so what's wrong with the current meal you are eating? Just trying to shake things up?

I have them for breakfast when I work early shift. I'm just too lazy to get up early enough to cook.

OP, smoothies can be a great way to supplement your diet, but in and of themselves will not help with weight loss.

As for what I put in mine: I always use spinach and protein powder. the rest varies with what I have on hand. Yesterday was honeydew and cantaloupe with flax seeds. About 300 cals and keeps me full for a couple hours. I use a mix of fruit, sometimes I use just veggies (bell pepper, cucumber, celery, tomato) when I need lower calorie. I have used water, coconut water, V8, or tea for liquid. Some people use yogurt.

Play around with it, but track it. They can add up, depending on what you put in there.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I have them for breakfast when I work early shift. I'm just too lazy to get up early enough to cook.

Oh, like I said, I enjoy them (I like them in summer when I just feel like something cold and refreshing to drink vs. eating something, and also if I feel lazy, agreed). Just thought it would be helpful for OP to give her (or his) reasons and also to point out that they aren't magical for weight loss (as you said!).

One thing I love about them is playing around with the recipe and different combinations--most I've tried have been successful, but not all. I got into them when I saw a recipe for a strawberry and watermelon based on (with protein and veg too) over the summer when I happened to have both of those on hand and it sounded delicious. My current favorite combo (since I have lots of winter squash to consume) is winter squash, green pepper, spinach (or kale), protein powder, greek yogurt, homemade cashew milk, and some frozen mango or strawberries. Around 350 calories.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

Oh, like I said, I enjoy them (I like them in summer when I just feel like something cold and refreshing to drink vs. eating something, and also if I feel lazy, agreed). Just thought it would be helpful for OP to give her (or his) reasons and also to point out that they aren't magical for weight loss (as you said!).

One thing I love about them is playing around with the recipe and different combinations--most I've tried have been successful, but not all. I got into them when I saw a recipe for a strawberry and watermelon based on (with protein and veg too) over the summer when I happened to have both of those on hand and it sounded delicious. My current favorite combo (since I have lots of winter squash to consume) is winter squash, green pepper, spinach (or kale), protein powder, greek yogurt, homemade cashew milk, and some frozen mango or strawberries. Around 350 calories.

I haven't tried adding dairy or any of the nut milks to mine. Mango strawberry is a great combination. I haven't tried watermelon either.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    I had one recipe with ginger root. I should look that one up. It was tangy, great for a cold day.
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My favorite post workout/energy smoothie - 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1 tbsp PB2 powder, 1 banana (frozen), and unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Good protein, nice and filling
  • lemurcat12
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I had one recipe with ginger root. I should look that one up. It was tangy, great for a cold day.

I've been meaning to try a ginger one, I love ginger.

Got into adding herbs in the summer -- thyme and sage and peppermint and anise hyssop (um, not together, separately). I think I did cilantro too, but I know that's controversial!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    plain yogurt, vanilla whey isolate, berries or fruit. a little water is needed for me; i don't like drinking gloop.

sometimes i add a scoop of coconut flour just because i bought it and can't be arsed figuring out how to use it in real food. there's a fibre factor.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    For me, it's a nice way to use up old fruit: make the smoothie, partition it out and freeze the portions.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »
    For me, it's a nice way to use up old fruit: make the smoothie, partition it out and freeze the portions.

I had never considered freezing the portions. I like that idea!
  • MountainMomma58
    MountainMomma58 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My usual smoothie contains 1 banana, flax seed, half an apple, some sort of berry and some pineapple. I add some low fat milk or almond milk, maybe kale or spinach. I also cut up and freeze my fruit as it is getting old. It makes the smoothie nice and cold. Ginger is also nice, or add a few mint leaves to brighten it up.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie for breakfast every day, its a full meal replacement for me. Sometimes, if I'm having what some people consider a "real" breakfast, I'll stick my morning smoothie in the fridge and have it as lunch.

I make homemade kefir, if you know anything about that you know you have fresh kefir every 24 that you have to do SOMETHING with.

No special recipe, I hit all the bases to about 400 calories, and there's a large 24 oz or smoothie for two. Kefir, frozen fruit, usually berries as they are the lowest cal, a banana, oatmeal, egg whites. A good blender like a Blendtec handles whole foods well.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Pinterest has a lot of great smoothie recipes.

Just remember you only need a calorie deficit to lose weight, you don't need to eat any 'special' foods. But obviously, if you enjoy smoothies, work them into your goals. :smile:
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Meh I just make them for breakfast or a snack because number 1, I'm not getting up 30 minutes early to make a breakfast and two, they are healthy and an easy way to get in fruits and veg..depending on what you put in them.