When did you finally decide to get healthy?

Options
Here's my sad story: I was 210lbs. I worked retail. I was attempting to sell a very expensive item to a couple. The lady asked me when I was due. I replied, "oh, I just had a baby. he is 8 weeks old." The couple bought the item. I ended up with a great commission and huge guilt.

My youngest child was 4 years old. As the couple left, I berrated myself, not for lying, but for being so overweight I had to lie. This was my turning point. Despite the ups and downs, I am 32 lbs thinner and feel so much healthier.

Replies

• risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I was asked to be in a friend's wedding and I was going to have to see my ex boyfriend and a billion old friends! I didn't want to look like crap in the wedding, so I started my journey!
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    When I developed gestational diabetes, postpartum hypertension and a heart murmur. That sealed the deal for me.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    when i saw my husband, 2 year old, and my xmas pics. it was horrible. dropped 30 pounds after that.
  • MamaReebs
    MamaReebs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    When my daughter turned 1 and I couldn't blame the fat on just having a baby anymore.

Congrats on your 32 lbs! That is great!
  • paul1969
    paul1969 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mine was after a heart attack last year left me in hospital for 5 weeks, I was only 40 which is what scared me so much. I smoked and was overweight. Im currently 106 kilos and ideally id like to drop 30kilos.

ive dropped the smokes :smile:
  • fowlmeli1093
    fowlmeli1093 Posts: 199
    Options
    Before last week, I stopped exercising since last fall! Last week and so far this week I have jogged 20 minutes everyday. I absolutley love how my legs and my abs feel right now. I feel so much different just simply walking! Its amazing how much definition you can gain in only a week and a half!
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    A few months ago, just decided I'm tired of being fat and I want to feel and look good finally.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    That is amazing! My decision came when my daughter (now 18 months) was starting to eat the food my husband and I ate, and I found myself making a seperate dinner for her becuase I didn't want her to eat what we were eating because it was so unhealthy. I thought to myself that I had to change the way we all ate or elce my child would wind up eating like me and I didn't want that! Congratulations on your weight loss! p.s. i would never ask someone when they are due, even when they are obviously pregnant just to avoid this situation!!!
  • cjsgrimlin
    cjsgrimlin Posts: 246
    Options
    Three years after my youngest and i couldn't say my body was making up for staving 18 months out of 2 years. Also thats when i hit my highest weight ever and got really depressed about it.

The starving came from my pregnancys i couldn't eat anything without getting sick!
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I decided on my journey when my dad died last year from a sudden heart attack while driving. He was in fairly good health but the doctor says it was from being morbidly obese. He was around 500lbs.
    Back then I was a mini one of him. Took me til January of this year to actually start my journey completely. and now 6 months later. I am now 208 instead of 290. I have a long way to go though.
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    That is amazing! My decision came when my daughter (now 18 months) was starting to eat the food my husband and I ate, and I found myself making a seperate dinner for her becuase I didn't want her to eat what we were eating because it was so unhealthy. I thought to myself that I had to change the way we all ate or elce my child would wind up eating like me and I didn't want that! Congratulations on your weight loss! p.s. i would never ask someone when they are due, even when they are obviously pregnant just to avoid this situation!!!

Thanks! I don't ask either, but many people do. My kids are great! They can tell you serving sizes and eat relatively healthily. It is exciting to see them make good choices on thier own. My 10 year old made a salad for her lunch yesterday!
  • aliciadjackson
    aliciadjackson Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Christmas 2009 I saw some pictures and I couldn't believe that I looked like I did. I was probably 175 lbs at that point ... I did nothing then though.
    August 2010 I started a new job and started being a cheer coach. One of the first practices I was trying to demonstrate a few things and I was left incredibly winded and realized how much harder these "simple"moves were for me. I wanted to be able to show them and not just tell them....
    Then in October 2010 something clicked and I started going to the gym and found MFP.
  • HotMamaByVday
    Options
    Your doing great!
  • HotMamaByVday
    Options
    Christmas 2009 I saw some pictures and I couldn't believe that I looked like I did. I was probably 175 lbs at that point ... I did nothing then though.
    August 2010 I started a new job and started being a cheer coach. One of the first practices I was trying to demonstrate a few things and I was left incredibly winded and realized how much harder these "simple"moves were for me. I wanted to be able to show them and not just tell them....
    Then in October 2010 something clicked and I started going to the gym and found MFP.

You changed your pic!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    When I set a date to semi-retire. At my next review, in December, I'm going to request to work part time and I'm pretty sure they will agree.
    I want to be healthy enough to enjoy my half days off. I haven't set a date to retire completely; I promised to see how much I like half days before I take the big step of retiring completely. I plan to be a rockin' granny, but not in a chair!
  • savethecat
    savethecat Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    When I got Netflix and started watching all the documentaries about obesity and poor nutrition in America. They would show that stock footage of the fat people from the neck down- walking the streets like over fed cattle straight into McDonalds. It was disgusting.

It hit me pretty hard that I was one of those people. They could put me in that stock footage. I knew at that point I had to do everything I could to escape being a number in those negative statistics.
  • troy_n
    troy_n Posts: 66
    Options
    2 Weeks ago when I was diagnosed with type 1 ketoacidtosis diabetes: 900+ blood sugar level is a serious problem and I never want to be there again.Since logging my food intake, my blood sugar levels have been too low. This is bad but good I guess, we are adjusting insulin levels to accomodate.

Anyone have some good recipies?
  • brocksmom
    brocksmom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this topic. In Dec 2010, I decided I was going to get off the sidelines and enjoy my life.

Thank you for being here.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I hit 140 pounds around my 45th birthday this year. 140 pounds may not sound like a lot to many of you, but at under 5'3" that's at the top of the "healthy" BMI range and it's the most I've ever weighed, (not counting at the end of my one pregnancy 22 years ago). I realized at that point that if I didn't do something, this was the healthiest, and probably the lightest, I was going to be for the rest of my life. So I started walking more, starting using MFP to track my calories and in April I started interval running/walking. I'm feeling great and hoping it just gets better from here!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Back in 2004... I stepped on the scale one morning and saw 252 pop on the screen. I realized I was closer to weighing 300 pounds then 200 pounds and that scared me. I joined WW that day and though it's been a slow weight loss with a lot of ups and downs, I never gave up. I lost over a 110 pounds but I need to lose another 10 to get to a healthy BMI. :happy: