Christmas is coming

Options
2»

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I consider whether the food is something I can have anytime or if it is something I get rarely. That is my method for prioritizing food intake at the holidays. Decide which foods I really want and eat them, trying to use reasonable portions but keeping in mind that eating in excess a few days a year does not negate the work I did the rest of the year.

^This. To me this is a sustainable approach, and it's one I took last year that saw me through the holidays. I came through the holiday season, eating what I wanted but being prudent about it, weighing almost a pound less than when I went in.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Last year, in the week leading up to the big day, I worked out a little more and ate back few, if any of the workout calories. (for me a workout burn is only around 350 calories) That way I was at a good weekly deficit going into the day. I survived without gaining, though it took 3-4 days to see a loss again, after all the salty foods and alcohol. I managed not to eat AROUND the holiday, just ON the holiday.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have Xmas as a IDGAF day. I usually load up on cookies and desserts.

ETA: I weigh and log it all.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I figure I probably go to a few Christmas parties during the holiday season...it's not that big of a deal since we usually have or attend some kind of dinner party/gathering a couple time per month regardless of the season...Christmas just means people will be wearing really ugly sweaters. I tackle Christmas parties the same way I tackle any party...I take it a little easier with my other meals during the day.

As far as "goodies on the shelf"...IDK...all those cookies and whatnot have never really appealed to me...I'm more of a savory type of person so I have no problems walking past a cookie.

As Christmas day goes, it's one day...it's a special occasion that should be enjoyed with family and friends, so that's what I do. One day is pretty irrelevant to the whole.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    fishshark wrote: »
    from thanksgiving to new years is my favorite time of year (my birthday is early december) i kick up my activity and enjoy full force.

Agreed (Dec 7 birthday here!) but related to that I can't stand this constant pushing of the holiday season earlier and earlier, and I won't even think about Christmas til after Thanksgiving (I'm actually more of a stickler for pushing it later than that--won't decorate until after my birthday, try to treat Advent as a real season and really celebrate Christmas on and right after Christmas--but I understand Thanksgiving being the start of the season socially. Don't get or approve of Halloween being the start of the season or early Nov Christmas stuff.

mine is december 8th! wooppp party timmme!

We get our tree anytime the week after thanksgiving and that usually depends on how many people i had to cook for/deal with haha. I agree most of out christmasy stuff happens after the birthday. I will be turning 30 this year so enjoying my last month in my 20's!
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I just bought my Thanksgiving turkey today and I'm so excited!

I've been at this for 10 months; long enough to have a good idea of how to handle those days but not long enough to have been through the holidays yet.

I came up with a specific plan after much thought, consideration and math.

Beginning this past Monday (Oct 31) until January 1, I am eating 1200 calories Monday through Friday and maintenance on the weekends. This keeps my deficit exactly the same at 2 pounds per week.

Thanksgiving, my first vacation (Dec 1 through 4), my second vacation (Dec 22 through 25) to include Christmas, I will not track. I will enjoy those days and the time with my family. 1200 calories the other days may not make up the full deficit but I am confident I will not gain. My birthday is the 19th of December. I may have a special dinner, I may just keep to 1200. We'll see.

First of the year, or the week before, I'll reassess if I want to keep allocating more calories to the weekend or keep a consistent daily deficit.
  • Crazycatladytracey
    Options
    I'm dreading Christmas. I've told everyone to get me fruit instead of chocolates. Whether they do that is the next big thing. I don't drink so that's a big plus.
  • 77cooks14
    77cooks14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I keep water with me. So if I see something that looks soooooo good then I chug my water. It swells my stomach and takrs away the craving long enough to leave the store or prevent myself from over eating.