Why does my bottom "hang" down and what to do about it?

Options

Replies

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    It's possible she could have posterior pelvic tilt too I think.
  • kshatriyo
    kshatriyo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    kshatriyo wrote: »
    I think the issue is with the way most pants are made. Your pants look too tight around your bum which could be making dem buns pressed down. They aren't made for girls with junk in their trunk. Buy larger pants or jeans and have the waists taken in. That makes a huge difference. I promise. I have been there with the tiny frame and big hiney.

Thanks. Any recommended brands?

No, but taking in a pair of jeans will cost 10-20 bucks. Buy a large pair of jeans and get them altered and they will last you forever or until you outgrow them. You want to pay special attention to the hips being wide enough. Winter is coming, it's a good time for new jeans. For my butt I like Mudd jeans. You also have very wide hips and this might make the skinny jeans look harsh on you; consider a different style or have the entire inseam altered to your liking. At the end of the day a pair of jeans outlasts most other kinds of pants by years.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else about lifting and eating more. The Strong Curves book/program by Bret Contreras has a whole section and routine dedicated to the bottom. I'd definitely check that out. Muscle mass will help, but not if you're still currently eating in a calorie deficit.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    eat and LIFT!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,419 Member
    Options
    Agreed, your pants look too tight! Plus, if the muscles in your posterior are not trained properly they can't hold it up and give it a nice, round shape. See the 'creases' on the side? If your muscles were properly trained those would be much smaller as well.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How is your protein intake?
  • TurtleTop08
    TurtleTop08 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's not you, it's the clothes.

Honestly if you like yourself naked, it's the clothes.

I do not... (despite being thin) :(
  • TurtleTop08
    Options
    Thanks for advice though. I'll get on some weight training program like you suggested. And by the way the reason I end up eating 1300-1500 calories is because I get full easily. My appetite is small.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    it's hard to tell from the photo and whether or not you are at a strange angle... but... do you have scoliosis? i am asking because you seem to be holding more fat on one side of your body than the other.

If you could provide a side shot THAT is what really gives a good idea as to how your glutes are doing.

In any case, i would agree with the others that this is probably because of a lack of muscularity in your glutes, combined with inactivity and atrophy.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Yes a side view would be good- I'm still thinking posterior pelvic tilt along with low muscle tone.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,669 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    You think? I think it's far more likely an "I don't know what I'm eating"situation and as soon as calories go up, weight goes up with water so a belief that is falsely low maintenance levels
    IMO The reduction in CO from long term deficit should not be overplayed or considered before accurate logging and proper time given for body to stabilise to increased calories e.g. 2-3 months at a regular intake
    It is all too easy for people to misunderstand their maintenance IMO

Because her weight probably does goes up due to water retention with any increase in calories towards expected maintenance I am thinking she is actually keeping herself on an extended deficit because she doesn't give herself time to stabilise when her weight shoots up when she starts eating a bit more.

Whether she is eating 1500 or 1800 or 2000 by 100% accurate logging that I don't know.

But working at a job that requires her to stand while she's at work (looks like a hair salon) should be worth a couple of thousand calories in terms of a maintenance level... and if she's aiming for 1500 and not eating back exercise calories I have a hard time seeing how lack of weight loss can be solely attributed to eating more than she thinks.

I agree with you that she is mis-estimating her maintenance. But I think that you think that she is eating more than she thinks. Whereas I am thinking that she is stabilising her weight by creating a very efficient version of herself and by not allowing for muscle growth etc.

Note though that I didn't spot any issues with her bum... looked like a nice enough bum to me ;-)

But obviously others picked on posture, scoliosis and a host of other things that my untrained eyes just lumped together into a "nice enough bum, no real need to be so down on it" category :wink:
  • airforceman1979
    airforceman1979 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Girl you got nothing to worry about you look fine
  • TurtleTop08
    Options
    UPDATE: I took a side shot and I'll post it as recommended by some of the commenters here. Sorry for the delay. By the way, I used a belt today and it helps a little but not much.
    qi7mjpq9xguq.jpg
    IMO I see a flat-ish bum... It sure feels that way! :s
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Looks normal to me but I imagine if you wanted to "lift" your butt that would require firming it which would require muscle strengthening which would probably be done best with high-weight squats and/or deadlifts.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    You look fine, but lifting and doing squats might make you feel better about things.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: I took a side shot and I'll post it as recommended by some of the commenters here. Sorry for the delay. By the way, I used a belt today and it helps a little but not much.
    qi7mjpq9xguq.jpg
    IMO I see a flat-ish bum... It sure feels that way! :s

Yes, it is flat-sh. But that just gives you something to work on. Follow the suggestions to eat more and train to gain muscle using a program like Strong Curves and you'll be fine.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else about lifting and eating more. The Strong Curves book/program by Bret Contreras has a whole section and routine dedicated to the bottom. I'd definitely check that out. Muscle mass will help, but not if you're still currently eating in a calorie deficit.

Bret IS the #assman
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy things and put them back down. I agree with starting the Strong Curves program. Also, genetics plays a role, not everyone is meant to have a Kim K bubble butt unless you get surgery.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Make sure your logging is tight. Eat more. Lift heavy things.

I wear my clothes SNUG and my butt is still lifted in the tightest of skinny jeans. I am admittedly blessed in the butt department but age is against me on the sag factor or should be, strength training means my potentially sagging butt is lifted (so much so it moved several inches up when I started exercising again at the start of my weight loss!). You have a good basis to start from, you're already pretty curvy in the rear, you just need to build a solid foundation to lift and shape I reckon.