Wondering about blood pressure and losing weight

Options
Okay I've lost a lot of weight I still have a lot to lose my blood pressure dropped so low that they had to take me off of one of my blood pressure medicine and it's still on the Lower side 120 over 60 I I have a plan to see my cardiologists I was just wondering if other people have had similar issues

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,256 Member
    Options
    Mine dropped from prehypertensive to solidly normal after I lost 60 pounds, but I wasn't on meds. I've seen quite a few people on MFP report being able to reduce/discontinue BP meds after weight loss, though.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Even at my heaviest, mine was never bad, typically about 122/80. Recently, it was 110/72 and that was about 75 pounds down with about 50 more to go.

Not needing to take blood pressure medication isn't an issue. It is a positive step.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Okay I've lost a lot of weight I still have a lot to lose my blood pressure dropped so low that they had to take me off of one of my blood pressure medicine and it's still on the Lower side 120 over 60 I I have a plan to see my cardiologists I was just wondering if other people have had similar issues

I can't call this an issue really. Getting a drop in BP is one of the reasons people with high BP are told to lose weight. So yours dropping seems just right.

Actually low BP is below 90 to 60. 120 to 60 is just right I think. Mine drops to below 90/60 sometimes.
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Just keep an eye on it with your doctor :) Getting off blood pressure medications is a good thing, it means you're getting healthier! As long as you don't end up being off all your medications and still having harmfully low blood pressure- but that's pretty unlikely.

I often have issues with low blood pressure around 85/50, but it's been checked out by the doctor and is mostly okay. Just keep getting your medications and blood pressure reviewed regularly :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    How many BP meds are you still on?

Sounds like great progress
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    That's a good thing- hopefully soon you won't need any medication for your blood pressure!

I've never taken meds for it but mine was starting to get somewhat high when I was at my heaviest and not exercising. I started exercising and lost some weight and even though I need to lose some more weight my blood pressure is now perfect.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I was taking a double dose of BP meds plus a beta blocker. Even with those, my BP was still regularly around 140/120. I lost 160 pounds, but gained back 50, then lost 20. So I am down to 130 pounds lost from my original weight. The last time I had my BP taken it was 103/56. That is an awesome BP and is nothing to worry about. My doctor was very happy about it. My resting pulse went from 120 to around 85, which still needs to come down, but I don't exercise, but if I did I am sure it would be even lower. I am not on anything ATM to get my pulse down, which is what the beta blocker was for. I am sure if my doctor was worried about it, he would put me on something.
  • airforceman1979
    airforceman1979 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I take Verapamil do to rhythm problems from heart attack which they can't take me off of and a long-lasting nitro pill the help the arteries
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that low blood pressure isn't a problem unless it causes symptoms (feeling faint, etc.). When I was younger my normal BP ran around 95/55 and it was never a problem. I always felt fine.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately my raised blood pressure is connected to my anxiety rather than weight, so no matter how much weight I lose or how much exercise I do I think it'll always be higher than it should be. I'm just hoping to get it down enough to not need beta blockers anymore.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,919 Member
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    My understanding is that low blood pressure isn't a problem unless it causes symptoms (feeling faint, etc.). When I was younger my normal BP ran around 95/55 and it was never a problem. I always felt fine.

When I was younger, prone to low blood pressure, and ate less salt I would feel dizzy if I got up suddenly. My blood pressure is now Normal to which I attribute eating a fair amount of salt.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome, congratulations!! It is way better to have BP on the lower side! Mine is always around 100-110/70-90
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I lost my first thirty pounds I started getting symptoms of low blood pressure. When I lost further I negotiated myself off my medication as long as I promised to continue to test my BP weekly, which I do. I might need help in the future but for now I enjoy the "holiday".

When I started exercising regularly my heart rate dropped too. ❤️
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Pawsforme wrote: »

When I was younger, prone to low blood pressure, and ate less salt I would feel dizzy if I got up suddenly. My blood pressure is now Normal to which I attribute eating a fair amount of salt.

Mine runs on the lower side of normal (95/65), and I have chronic hyponatremia thanks to a medication I'm on. I've lost my taste for things being overly salty, so it's an uphill battle for me trying to keep my salt intake up. I hide salt in things like my morning cuppa, for example. Anything to get more in.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    My mum lost weight and started getting dizzy, turns our she no longer needed her blood pressure meds and they were dropping it too low! It's a good thing (as long as its properly monitored!)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is supposed to lower BP, and it has. You do have to be careful of too low BP if you're still on meds for it.
  • boothekm1
    boothekm1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Weight loss doesn't really affect BP that much. Weight loss is the result of eating healthier and exercising which is what lowers BP. It's normal to get off BP meds after good lifestyle changes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    boothekm1 wrote: »
    Weight loss doesn't really affect BP that much. Weight loss is the result of eating healthier and exercising which is what lowers BP. It's normal to get off BP meds after good lifestyle changes.

Weight loss is the result of a calorie deficit. Changing the way you eat or exercising can be a part of that, but you can do it without either providing you're eating at a deficit.

Being obese does increase the risk of high blood pressure, so weight loss could help someone with high blood pressure even if everything else about their life stayed the same.