What is my TDEE?

Options
Hi there, so I have been trying to figure out my TDEE. Every website is different. I am 5'4, and weigh 188lb and a female. One says my TDEE is 2180, another says 1960 which makes a huge difference because when I subtract my 500 cal deficit i will need to know how many cals to eat a day. Can someone help me find the most accurate site for my TDEE? I put my activity level as sedentary but I am lightly active at work and also burn around 400 to 500 at the gym 3-4 times a week. I currently have my cals a day at 1680 but would appreciate any other input. Thanks!

Replies

• Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Stick with one and judge your results over the next month. They're all estimates anyway.

This. They are all estimates. Just keep track and compare calories consumed vs weight lost over time. The longer the time, the better the accuracy.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    You are the only one who can tell what your TDEE is. By gathering data about your intake and weight for about a month or two. The formulae given online are rough estimates. You can't expect them to be very accurate.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Read posts with stickers here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/10118-eat-train-progress

Members of this group are uber helpful.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating 1680? How fast has the weight been coming off?

I started off with similar stats to you (5'4, 190 pounds, 40 years old) and picked "lightly active" and "lose 1 pound/week". I was given a similar initial target. Based on my logging, I ate 1750 cals/day on average. After 2 months of logging intake and weight, I was confident enough in my data to calculate my TDEE. It was higher than expected and so I have adjusted my calories accordingly.

If you're just starting, pick a reasonable number. I like the 1750 the poster above me suggested. But anything in that range will be fine. Be accurate and honest in your logging. The scale will tell you your TDEE - but only after you've given it long enough for the fluctuations to even out.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Unless you get some expensive tests done, you will never know your exact sedentary TDEE. Which will change as you lose weight. By how much, it can only be estimated, nothing is a guarantee. BTW, you should be sedentary as being lightly active at work is already calculated for being sedentary. Only log your exercise, or anything you do to purposely burn calories. But beware, MFP over estimates how much you burn, so if you eat all of your calories back, and find that you aren't losing as quickly as your should, start eating back fewer calories until you are losing at the rate of loss you want.
  • timmcelyea64
    timmcelyea64 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My numbers tell me to eat 2500 a day. I tried that and gained 10 pounds in a month. 1500 - 1700 is my cut zone. Experiment and find yours.
  • timmcelyea64
    timmcelyea64 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh. My numbers were from using breezing and a professional rmr vo test. So for me it is not an exact science.