Night cravings

Options
Hello all! I do great all day eating right until it's bed time.... then I want cookies. I end up eating 6--10 of them. Any ideas on what I can do to stop eating them. Or something to replace them with?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Self control.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    Go to bed earlier.

Eat a later, bigger dinner.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    I have a meal just before I go to sleep everyday. I even have a separate category for it in my diary.
    I usually have a sandwich with milk or a bowl of cereal.

Cookies are very high calorie and one is never enough. So I just either avoid them altogether or replace a whole meal (like dinner) with cookies and milk. I do it very, very rarely.

If you feel hungry before bed then leave some calories for that and plan it.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    There is a new ice cream called Halo Top, my Kroger's has it. Its only 240 calories for the entire pint, but it tastes really good. Try it
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I get night cravings, too. I just save calories so I can eat before bed if I want to. I eat a very small breakfast, a pretty small lunch, a middling dinner, and then I have calories left over for snacks and/or cocktails. Sometimes I skip breakfast, if I'm not hungry at all in the morning. It's okay to eat when you most want to eat, instead of on an arbitrary schedule.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I second the Halo Top. They have an Oatmeal Cookie flavor. So gooooood.

But for your long-term goals, you'll also have to work on self control.
  • HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Random, but I've recently discovered a hot chocolate with 40 calories in which I LOVE! It fills me up, tastes great and covers the chocolate craving... something to try maybe? It's cadburys highlights.
  • michaelorozco67
    michaelorozco67 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is killing me. I am not at all hungry during the day, but as soon as I take a rest, and watch a little tv, the munchies come?! Drives me crazy. Sometimes I worry about my blood sugar because I take insulin, and I don't want to not eat, and have a low blood sugar, but the lowest I have ever been is 90, so I have no idea why I am worried?

I try and go to bed early, but I end up tossing and turning, and staring at the ceiling. I really hate this!
  • ConicalFern
    ConicalFern Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I always have to eat something before bed - as others have said, just save some calories elsewhere to do this. I would find it hard to have a small number of cookies - how about something like a high protein yoghurt or cheese? At the moment I often have a bowl of skyr before bed and find it to be suitably filling.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I can eat and eat and eat low protein/low fiber foods like cookies and never feel satisfied.

My bedtime snacks:

1. Bread, peanut butter, apple, cheese
    2. Oats, Greek yogurt, strawberries
    3. Cottage cheese, peanut butter, applesauce
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I always schedule 200 or so calories for 8 or so in the evening. Something like a tortilla with cheese, or a little high fiber cereal. If I eat that I don't get cravings or binge.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Stop buying cookies if you have an issue with portion control with them and you're going over with them. I don't buy foods I know I'll overdo or trigger evening eating. Plan some other options and wean yourself off the cookies. I actually like fruit in the evening- a new thing for me but it satisfies. Then I switch to herbal tea and shut down the kitchen, lol.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Don't buy them, so they won't be available. Then go on to bed when you start feeling a craving come on.
  • Slimmasaurus
    Slimmasaurus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I also get the munchies at night - I think it's when my brain switches off and there's nothing to distract me from food!
    I don't have much to help with the actual cravings, but I find brushing my teeth helps. Mentally it makes me feel like the day is done, and my teeth are nice and clean for bedtime... but practically food tastes gross straight after you brush your teeth, so it's much less appealing too!
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Either don't buy cookies, or keep them in your freezer and thaw out 2 a day if they fit in your calories. I have to keep chips out of my house because it's ridiculously hard to stop eating them.

If not cookies, add a different snack for later in the evening if you tend to get hungry then. I third the Halo Top ice cream - I had peanut butter cup and it was great.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I also get the munchies at night - I think it's when my brain switches off and there's nothing to distract me from food!
    I don't have much to help with the actual cravings, but I find brushing my teeth helps. Mentally it makes me feel like the day is done, and my teeth are nice and clean for bedtime... but practically food tastes gross straight after you brush your teeth, so it's much less appealing too!

Same for me, my sweet tooth is waking up and looking to be satisfied. I normally have night snack, like popcorn with nuts, or scoop of ice cream, or a couple of mini chocolates. This past Halloween we maybe had five trick-or-treaters, so we have been left with so much candy, i was really worried about my will power. But, so far so good, a couple of minis settle it for me. And the most effective way to stop night time snacking is to brush my teeth. That works really good.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    keenras wrote: »
    Hello all! I do great all day eating right until it's bed time.... then I want cookies. I end up eating 6--10 of them. Any ideas on what I can do to stop eating them. Or something to replace them with?

A few suggestions:

Don't keep the cookies in your house. Buy 1or 2 and eat them somewhere else so they aren't in easy reach when you have night cravings.

Do you have enough fat in your diet? I added avocado and nuts to my diet and that seemed to help with cravings.

Eat an apple. It has sugar.

Try sugarless gum if you don't want calories. Orbit brand tastes like gum with sugar.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I start my logging day at 6 PM. If I go overboard I can makeup for it with extra exercise and my daytime willpower. I also don't keep anything in the house I can't just eat one of. My fave late night snacks are peanut butter on toast if I'm feeling savory or Mexican hot chocolate if I am craving sweet. Sometimes coming on the boards and talking about my food helps too for some strange reason.
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You could try planning one or two small/medium snacks at night time? Plan out exactly what you're going to eat so you can't have extra cookies :wink: :smile:

Are you feeling deprived of cookies during the rest of the day? If you have a cookie or two earlier you might not feel the craving for them so badly later :smile: