One leg wall sit

Wondering whats a normal range how long one should be able to hold a one leg with thighs parallel to floor wall sit. 1 to 3, 3 to 5, 5 to 10, 10 to 20 seconds or higher. It is much more then twice as difficult then a two legged wall sit for me. I find it 20 fold plus more difficult.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    There are no set standards. It's not a very common exercise, because doing lunges & squats usually makes it unnecessary.
    But yes, it's disproportionately harder with 1 leg. :+1:
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i just tried it out in my head, without getting out of this chair. for my body the conclusion i reached was 'at least as long on each side as you can do on the other side' and left it at that.

guess i think of it as a symmetry/imbalance correction type thing. i should go do some.
  • OrdinaryDude300
    OrdinaryDude300 Posts: 51 Member
    It was recommended to me to start the wall sit and also told my isometric leg strength needs improvement. So i on my own tried the one leg version attempt. To my surprise it was 20 fold more difficult on my left and more then 30 fold om my right :(. But lunges i can do more with my right leg forward and left behind then the other way.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Some of the difficulty is from raising one leg up, which involves the abs & other muscles.. so 2-leg wall sits are better for isometric leg endurance. :+1:
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Managed to hold the basic position for 60 secs. Lifting my left leg@raised in front of me - 60 secs. On my weaker/healing ankle -20 secs.

Would like to aim to hold it for a whole song eventually.

Thanks.

ETA: Was easier to hold position on my bad ankle if I rested my right leg on top of my left thigh.

* Tried it barefoot
  • OrdinaryDude300
    Bare foot or shoes thats fantastic time i would think. Much better then myself. Your isometric strength seems excellent. I got lot of work to do on that side. What other exercises help with achieving a great result.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    I like focus on strengthening exercises for speed & power ... A concentration on fast-twitch targeted training for legs.

Good luck and thank you!

ETA: I tend to start at a lower weight, execute my 40 reps; Add on more weights, another 40 reps until I hit my maximum weights threshold@40 reps each. Then I work my way back down to the lowest weight. My sis and I use the BPak method.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    I'm glad your brought this exercise up. I'm going to have to try it. I remember competing against my brother while doing the two leg wall sit. We would go back and forth, outdoing each other's time. Towards the end when I would get up from the wall sit, my quads would get so warm it felt just like I pee down the front of my pants, so I'd say do it until that happens lol.
  • OrdinaryDude300
    Friendly competitions can be motivating. Any lower body isometric exercise my gf is killing me on. This wall sit is one of them. Though on leg press which i doubt has much isometric qualaties we are even or i can go slightly heavier. She really loves the back squat now. My lower body flexibility or lack of needs to improve. Too many years behind the desk lol.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    My lower body flexibility or lack of needs to improve.

The best way I found to improve lower body flexibility for me has been to practice kicking. I throw in some stretching and the resting squat.