What do you do at work functions?

kater8er
kater8er Posts: 364 Member
My office has a lot of pseudo mandatory work functions where food is the main attraction....I love going and they're fun but I don't know what to do about eating/not eating during them. It would be one thing if its like 1x a month, but its more like 1x a week...I hate ruining my good day over pizza night but I also hate to be rude and "that coworker" who can't eat x,y,z....Any advice? Oh and asking to go to healthier places is not an option...

Replies

• Commgirl1
    Commgirl1 Posts: 5
    I would talk to whoever does the ordering and tell them you have some dietary restrictions. There are probably lots of people that would appreciate the addition of a big salad to pizza night or fresh fruit with the morning donuts or whatever. Beyond that -- just make the portions smaller. Take a slice of pizza and only eat half. Or cut it in half before you even put it on your plate.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Either bring your own food or eat before you go, OR fit it into your day calorie wise. In the journey of fitness sometimes you stand alone hahah you cannot be afraid to be THAT co-worker who cant eat xyz , that friend that spouse. Its all bout being that person that gets you where you wanna go :)
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Maybe you can load up on healthy stuff before you go, and have one slice or so at the party.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 778 Member
    This is what I started doing for the first stages of my "Eating Healthier Lifestyle": Pizza - strip the pizza of all toppings; Burgers - order off of the kids menu or share with someone. Salads - Leave off the dressing : some like the "dipping" method for dressing, but I went cold turkey. I actually like tasting all of the different veggies in my salad without all teh dressing.

Even now after reaching my goal weight, I still stick to these since I practiced them for so long, they became part of my lifestyle-change.

Good luck to you & don't be discouraged with Social Events!
  • mike_hill
    mike_hill Posts: 61 Member
    I don't have work functions as often, but here is my strategy:

1. Drink plenty of water before, during and after the fuction. Water helps me feel full and reduces my desire to eat.
    2. Try to eat something healthy as a mid morning snack (assuming the function is a lunch) so that you won't be as hungry at lunch.
    3. Don't worry about finishing your whole plate or feeling like you will stick out. Just eat slowly and mind your pace.
    4. Try and choose the healthiest option you are comfortable with. Overeating salad/veggies is almost always better than overeating meat/pasta/bread/dessert
    5. Don't worry too much about what others think, just do you own thing and be happy knowing you are making healthy choices for you, not your coworkers.

Just my 2 cents. Hope you find the steps/advice that helps you :)
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Is it possible to go but not eat as much as everyone else? Take extra food for lunch - that way you can say you had a big lunch & don't want as much dinner (assuming these are evening events).
    I don't know how much influence you have over the food options, but could you maybe also get healthier options such as salads as sides to the pizza & have more of the healthy things rather than the pizza/unhealthy stuff?
    Maybe also do some extra exercise in the mornings on those days so you know you have an extra hundred/two hundred calories to play with.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Get with the women in the office and all of you demand a different place once in a while. I work in a small office but mention dieting to any woman and she'll agree. We fussed and got wraps and fruit cups instead of sandwiches and chips for our last catered lunch. Or next time someone says "where should we go?" have a suggestion in mind.
    If all else fails, have a salad.
  • tonedover
    tonedover Posts: 30 Member
    Just be that co-worker. Why would they care? If they respect you as a co-worker they should accept you have certain dietary needs (ie: not eating the junk they are serving).

Good luck on earning that laptop as a reward! ;-)
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    I run into that same problem. I work in a corporate office and whenever we have "lunch" meetings, they order food. The last time they had Willy's Mexican. I skipped everything except the plain grilled chicken that is put in a tortilla and salad. I don't care if they think I'm rude. Lately, I have been packing my lunch every day and most my co-workers know this so when something is catered in, I can say that I already brought my lunch and that I've had my heart set on my tuna sandwich or whatever it is for that day.
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    I agree with talking to the person who does the ordering....my office used to do "team lunches" ALL the time, and it wasn't exactly the type of environment where you can walk in with your own. But one woman was trying to get healthier as well, so we talked to the woman who usually did the ordering. We tried skipping the pizza, wings, and pepperoni rolls one week, and instead ordered fresh sandwiches and salads from the new deli across the street. The guys were happy with Roast Beef and Pimento Cheese sandwiches, while the ladies were all raving about the guiltless chicken salad, turkey sandwiches, and mixed green salads.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Do you know the ahead , which day this would happen? If yes, you can start your day with a workout to ensure you have a big bigger calorie budget to work with
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I have other dietary restrictions and always just talk to whomever is ordering about options. The other option is to budget it in for the day and eat a portion that fits into your diary.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Recently had such a function but they did have some steam vegetables. I was still hungry when I left but I did not succumb to the poor choices. If there were no other choices then I would have paid the cordial visit and not eaten anything. They can put the fat in front of me but that does not mean I have to eat it.

Now, on the other hand, if you are maintaining your weight lost there is no issue with having a slice of pizza but recognize you are going to account for these calories and saturated fat later.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Thanks for all the input. I don't feel comfortable asking them to change the places we all go to, because I'm one of the lower rungs of the ladder so to speak. Even if they did change it, I'd probably be *that girl* who just "couldn't suck it up and go to the pizza restaurant that everyone else wanted..." I have just ordered the salad a lot--then I get questions "why are you getting only a salad?" or "is that all you're getting?" if we're at a nice seafood place or something. If I say "oh I'm trying to watch my budget", it's "oh well let me get you something!" And I like to keep the weight thing private....But I think I'll try some of those suggestions--I will most likely just keep ordering the salad, and say "well I really like salad!" or something...haha!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Be a grazer. Try small portions of different things offered, and don't feel obligated to finish your plate. Also since you have them so frequently, I would suggest adding 30-60 minutes of additional exercise per week.
This discussion has been closed.