Any other short-legged people? What do you see as your ideal weight?

Options
mlinci
mlinci Posts: 403 Member
edited November 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Here's my confession: I have really short legs. I wish they were longer, but they are what they are. I love the recent fashion trend for ankle length trousers, because I can wear them as full length trousers, while all the regular length trousers are always way too long.

I lost 17 kilos over the last year, going from a BMI of over 30 to 24.3 as it stands now. I'm a bit over 5'5 (166cm) and 148 lbs (67kg). The thing is, I'm not sure I should be losing much more weight. A bit more, for sure - say another 5-10 lbs maximum, but not much more? I have a very hourglass figure, my measurements are currently 40-30-40. I also have wide hip bones, so I lost more than 6 inches off my waist, but only about an inch off my hips.

When people talk about ideal weight, they talk about frame size. For me, it's not so much that I have a big frame - for example, I have small wrists and my fingers wrap around them easily - but I have a really long midsection, and surely that will make me weigh more than someone of the same height who has a shorter torso and longer legs?

I would love to hear from anyone else who is short legged like me. What do you consider your ideal BMI? At what weight did you feel underweight/ just right/ overweight? For example, I really don't think I should go below a BMI of about 23.

Replies

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I've got really short legs too (great for squatting and deadlifts apparently), definitely with you on the cropped trousers front, cropped are normal length for me, 3/4 are cropped, and capri are 3/4. Many years ago I got down to a UK 10 (no idea of weight) and just looked ill and too skinny with bones sticking out of my wrists and ankles. That's the reason I'm doing things differently this time round and taking a break from actually losing the weight to build some muscle so I'm less skin and bone.

As for BMI I'm not even taking that in to account, I'm more concerned with how I feel and look. So yes I'm aiming for around 140lb, which still puts me in the overweight category (CW: 187lb) but I'll be reassessing that goal at regular intervals and might decide that 130lb is where I want to be or might be happy at 150lb.
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3, started at 178.

Initially I wanted to get to the weight I was when I first met my OH, which was 141, as I thought I looked reasonably good.

Got there, still felt flabby and decided to get to 130.

Just hit that a couple of weeks ago, and things are still a bit flabby, so I have amended my goal to 119. I don't want to go much lower than that, so if I'm still not happy I'm going to focus on recomp instead.

It's hard for me to figure out a weight to be as I've never been a healthy weight in my adult life and I don't know what 'suits' me. So for now, I'm just figuring it out as I go along!
  • mlinci
    Options
    Thanks for replying, firef1y72. Hope you reach your goal!

Anyone else? I think I'd be reassured knowing I'm not the only short legged woman in the world :)
  • leighsnow
    leighsnow Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I wasn't blessed in the long leg department. I am 5'3" and though I am small framed, any weight gain goes straight to my thighs and behind. I can say that at one time, I really transformed my lower body with the Beachbody Brazil Buttlift DVD workout, and clean eating. I sadly didn't keep up on it after reaching my goal and here I am working towards it again but for us short girls, I found that the workouts really elongated and toned my legs in a way that no other exercise had before. The Bar Method work outs are also really good as well as Tracey Anderson Method (she's only 5' I think, she's tiny). I realize that you didn't ask about workouts but just thought I would share that our short legs can be transformed even if they won't grow :smiley:
  • leighsnow
    leighsnow Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    PS - to actually answer your question.... my ideal weight is 112-115 lb. I am about 117 lbs right now and have been as high as 125lb which is too much for me as I do not feel comfortable in my clothes. For me, exercise is a must in order to keep myself feeling and looking good, there is just no way around it for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and often have to wear Petite-length jeans, which I think is funny, especially after spending time in Okinawa and Costa Rica where I was much taller than local women.

I also have a large frame (big wrists, head, feet), and my goal BMI is 26-27. It's the weight I was when a full time yoga teacher, and I felt great at that weight. We'll see how I feel when I get there again.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" but have a longer torso and short legs - when I'm sitting next to my 6' husband our heads are close in height, but I need to buy 'petite' trousers/pants to get the right length for my legs! Comfortable swimsuits and all-in-one styles of lingerie were always difficult to find.

Right now I'm in the low 170s, but I'm not sure what my ideal end weight will be. I'm aiming for 150 initially, which is just slightly under the limit of my "healthy" BMI range, but I looked fine at 140 (when I was much younger!). My shape has changed over the intervening decades - or at least I think it has! - so I'm going to see how I look and feel at 150 and then decide if I want to go lower. I don't think less than 140 would be sustainable for me, but I'll just have to wait and see! :) I've already achieved more than I thought I could, so who knows?
  • saanjali2003
    saanjali2003 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I m 5.2 n weight 64 kg
    Want to be till 55 kg
    I eat 1100 calories diet
    Any tips welcome
    Pls
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I m 5.2 n weight 64 kg
    Want to be till 55 kg
    I eat 1100 calories diet
    Any tips welcome
    Pls

It's probably best to start your own thread because your topic is different than what is being posted. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I am one of those ling torso/short legged people too, 5 ft 4.5 tall.

My ideal weight is 140-145, but I am currently cutting because I like to be at the lower end of my weight range, and I am 2 pounds above the high end.
  • mlinci
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    I'm 5'6" but have a longer torso and short legs - when I'm sitting next to my 6' husband our heads are close in height, but I need to buy 'petite' trousers/pants to get the right length for my legs! Comfortable swimsuits and all-in-one styles of lingerie were always difficult to find.

That totally sounds like me! I am just half an inch shorter than you, and I'm always as tall as 6 foot tall people when I'm sitting!
    Right now I'm in the low 170s, but I'm not sure what my ideal end weight will be. I'm aiming for 150 initially, which is just slightly under the limit of my "healthy" BMI range, but I looked fine at 140 (when I was much younger!). My shape has changed over the intervening decades - or at least I think it has! - so I'm going to see how I look and feel at 150 and then decide if I want to go lower. I don't think less than 140 would be sustainable for me, but I'll just have to wait and see! :) I've already achieved more than I thought I could, so who knows?

Good luck!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Short fat hairy legs here. I'm certainly not too fussed about getting to the middle of the "normal" range, the upper end will do for me, but I've never connected that with my longer body.

I see your logic but what strikes me is that being lighter will be an advantage for me in part because my long back (and prodigious knockers) make me prone to back pain. So if anything, having a longer back makes me more keen to lose the weight, not less.
  • BananaBite
    BananaBite Posts: 135 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I am 5'0, almost 5'1. My weight currently is 117 lbs. My ideal weight is around 105-110 lbs. As much as I am small framed, I still have curves that give a little extra weight. I felt underweight when I was 102 lbs. I am short legged (they don't look long), but my waist is very long. I think my body is more hour glass shaped, but I've definitely got a bust and hips.

My best advice when trying to figure out your best weight is to think back when you felt your most comfortable. I wouldn't measure your weight based on your BMI too harshly. I never have measured my waist, hips, and bust too see how much I've gained and lost. To me it is too much work, but if it helps you then continue it. Just stick to eating right and exercising and eventually you'll make it to your desired weight. If you are at your desired weight but not measurements try to tone up those muscles.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'2 1/2" with short legs and a long torso. I have a larger frame, if I'm to believe the charts and my 7" wrist. I've been at 150 and felt comfortable with that weight, but I'm shooting for the top of my BMI which is 140. I started at 184 in March, and am at 160, so I'll decide in 10 pounds if I want to go lower.
  • mlinci
    Options
    I see your logic but what strikes me is that being lighter will be an advantage for me in part because my long back (and prodigious knockers) make me prone to back pain. So if anything, having a longer back makes me more keen to lose the weight, not less.

That's an interesting angle on it, and one I haven't previously considered.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Short fat hairy legs here.

jau4cpknjr50.jpg

;)

Yeah, I've lost a few inches off my bust but still have back and shoulder pain - I've never connected that with the length of my back before, though!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Just seems logical, mechanically speaking.

People never believe my legs are as short as they really are. I'll sit in the back of a small car and they'll be like "let me move the seat forward to give you space" and I'm like "no, honestly, I'm fine" and there's like 6 inches between my knees and the seat. They're out of all proportion to my height. Convenient in theatres and aeroplanes, but every chair in the world is too high for me and sofas are never comfortable unless I have my legs up. Plus it makes me hopelessly slow in a sprint.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I am a guy thats 5'11" with a 28 inch inseam...so thats kind of short legs for my height. BTW I was 355 pounds in January of this year and have lost 110 pounds and want to lose another 25 or so. When I get to my goal I will decide if I want to go farther. Even at that my BMI will say I am overweight or obese. I am not a fan of BMI for many reasons that are not important. If you feel you need to lose some weight do it for you and because you want to not because some freaking chart says so.
  • ccjlgrider
    ccjlgrider Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm identical size and shape to you. I'm at 150 lbs and my goal weight is 135.
  • Lesscookies1
    Lesscookies1 Posts: 250 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and my goal weight is 150 pounds I initially started at 188 pounds, and I'm currently 162 pounds.