Poll: Would You Zumba in the AM?

Hi everyone!! I got certified to be a Zumba Instructor and will be teaching my FIRST class on 12/06 Rockville, MD a suburb of DC!!!

In our area there are NO Zumba classes offered in the early morning (5:30AM to 8:00am). I've been to a PureBarre class at 5:30 and one at 6:30 and both were PACKED! I was thinking of offering my first Zumba class on Tuesdays from 6:00am to 7:00am. What do you think?? Please be honest as I want to get the most students in the door as possible!! Thanks MFP Fam!!

Replies

• Bella_Francesca
    Bella_Francesca Posts: 20 Member
    Any responses would be greatly appreciated!! It will actually influence my decision on whether I should introduce early morning Zumba in Montgomery County or not! Feel free to be honest, thank you!!!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i would not zumba in a boat. i would not zumba with a goat. i would not zumba, sam i am. i'd rather eat green eggs and ham.

shouldn't even have posted since i don't think i'm your niche :p couldn't resist though . . . carry on.

from the very very little i know of zumba people, i imagine there'd be plenty who were morning people and like the idea. but i honestly don't know anything about morning people and what they get up to.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Is there any way you could poll potential attendees? Asking people on the internet probably won't be a very representative sample.
    But IF I took classes, or enjoyed Zumba, I would do it in the mornings at 5:30or 6:00 am. That's when I do my regular weightlifting sessions now.
  • Bella_Francesca
    Bella_Francesca Posts: 20 Member
    Thank you Canada!! That's reassuring :)

deluxemary- So we've polled current students but they said they'd still only come to evening classes since they love the evening instructors, I'm not sure yet who my potential attendees are :(
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    I am not much of a early riser myself so the earliest class I do is 830 am.. i think if you do a early time you might draw in a crowd who can't or don't wanna be there in the evening.. I know my ymca has morning classes.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2016
    would 7 to 8 work for you? i'm just going by what i know of people who do like to do their workout, clean up and then go on from there to their work, which usually means they get to work at 9 am. something that ends at 7 is awkward for that group, because it leaves them with that extra dead hour.

i know that i am stingy with nothing the way i am stingy with time, when i'm working and especially when i'm in that regimented 9 to 5 groove. so that blank hour would be a big deal to me and probably enough to make me hold back.

also, congrats on your certification and your first class.
  • eeaman
    eeaman Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2016
    Totally! The earlier the better! I'm in a suburb out of Seattle and do Zumba, MixxedFit and BollyX and wish there were early classes but I can't get my local studio to open its doors before 9 (and by then I'm already at work for nearly 2 hours).
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    I work out twice a week before work (and twice a week on my lunch break and then midday on weekends), so if I did classes I would take one at that time, if that helps. I'm really not into Zumba though.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    I would not do Zimbabwe anytime of day, lol! Good luck, lots of people love early morning workouts the best thing to do is to try it & see what happens
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    edited November 2016
    I have a friend who is a gym owner. I do not know where you work, she ows a small gym / studio, so just working with people locally, it is not e.g. franchise with fixed schedules, hours etc, she tries constantly to adapt to demand.
    She has two types of people (or rather women, she has almost no men in these classes) attending zumba and other similar "fun" classes: working mothers or students, who prefer late evenings or weekends, and then there are the mothers who stay home or retired women, who usually prefer mornings. But not that early, she has classes around 9 or so, so people can first drop off the kids at school.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    When my kids are older the early morning might suit me, but at the moment that's school run time. Do you stand to actually lose money if not enough people come?

On another note, I find Zumba instructors so varied that I stick to Wii Zumba now, because I know I won't be stuck in a slow class or with a teacher with no feel for the music. I'd stick with a teacher I really liked though, exactly because of all the variation.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    i would not zumba in a boat. i would not zumba with a goat. i would not zumba, sam i am. i'd rather eat green eggs and ham.

shouldn't even have posted since i don't think i'm your niche :p couldn't resist though . . . carry on.

I was just coming here to paraphrase the same book. ;)
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Maybe try googling gyms in your area and see when they are doing zumba.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    I don't Zumba but I love early morning class options. I know Zumba at all hours is popular here. Might as well offer it and see what happens. Good luck.
  • heathry197
    heathry197 Posts: 1 Member
    I take dance classes at a local studio here in Oakland. The earliest class they offer is 8:45. When the class was offered at 8:30 it was difficult for many to make because of school drop off and traffic.
    I take the 8:45 class twice a week.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,474 Member
    I wouldn't take fitness classes of any sort in the morning ... or at lunch ... or in the afternoon.

I'm a night person and would prefer to take spinning classes from about 7 to 8 pm. Sadly, it seems there are no instructors in my city who are also night people.

However, mornings do seem popular for other people.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    I think you'd have to be pretty hardcore to dance to salsa music in the AM. Pure Barre is meditative and intense which to me seems very suitable for AM gym goers.

I imagine Zumba evening classes attract people who want to take a load off.

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Last week I saw a sign for a zumba class from 7:00-8:00. I thought to myself it would be a fun after dinner activity. Then halfway home it occurred to me that it may have meant 7:00 AM. I instantly lost all interest in zumba.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    I much prefer to exercise in the morning, I have pretty much no interest in it at the end of the day.
    So, if I was someone who wanted to go to an exercise class, I'd be keen to find one in the morning. Probably about 6:15 would suit me :)