Nursing Moms?

Options
I'm a nursing mom in need of dropping several pounds, but I know that limiting my calorie intake too much can affect my milk supply. Anyone know the best way to balance the two?

Replies

• dhall4797
    dhall4797 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Im nursing too and have no idea. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone! NO idea where to start. Its a bit deflating
  • krisynorton
    krisynorton Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Finish nursing then worry about the weight
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm nursing too. Baby turns 5 weeks tomorrow. Based on the research I've done, it's best not to try losing weight until baby is at least 2 months old. That way your milk supply should be established by then. I'm exclusively breastfeeding so keeping up my milk supply is of paramount importance to me. I plan to start exercising at 6 weeks postpartum though, as long as I get the go ahead from my dr.

Also, it's best not to lose more than 1 lb a week (2 if you are overweight or obese) when you do start trying to lose weight.

Hope this helps.
  • tianabeil
    tianabeil Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am exclusively nursing my little one. She was 5 months old when I started cutting calories and she is starting to eat baby food some now too. I waited until my milk supply was established and she was close to starting cereal. I am on a plan called sensible portions and its about 1000 cals. a day. I add 300-500 healthy calories to it. And on the weekends I eat pretty much how I want being mindful of the cals/healthiness but not tracking so much. I try to listen to my body and stop eating the minute I feel "full". I have goal of 100lbs to loose.
  • marifrie33
    marifrie33 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I ate steel cut oats every breakfast back when I was nursing and losing weight. It's suppose to help with milk supply, and it seemed to help. I can't remember how many calories I was eating back then, but I was losing weight and doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred.
  • deepid250
    deepid250 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 2 months old.... I'm exclusively Breastfeeding.... N I'm overweight..... N have joined back work.... Get ni tym to workout
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I waited about two months before dropping my cals, but even then I really didn't drop them too much, I was pretty much eating at the high end of my maintenance just in case. For me that was about 2700-2900 cals.

Just watch for dips in your supply. Sometimes weightloss and nursing takes time, with a new little one you have a lot going on!