Ladies losing 30lbs getting toned?

Options
Hello mfp community, any tallish non athlete, non gym, ladies losing about 30 pounds and getting toned, how are you doing it?

Replies

• glassjailer
    glassjailer Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't know how successful I've been yet. Just 10 days into mfp, but I'm tall (5'10) and have about 25 lbs to lose.
    Not going to the gym, and although I was an athlete back in the day, I have some significant exercise restrictions due to a back injury.

I have been just 'doing more movement.' 5 squats whenever I remember, 10 leg lifts after doing the dishes, lots of deep stretching multiple times a day. And walking! I live in the woods, and use my iPhone step counter to push myself to try to get 8000 in a day. It adds up. I really like to perch on the kitchen counter when I'm on my phone logging my foods into mfp and crunch my abs and do standing bicyicle style crunches.

Wanna be pals? I don't have any yet. :)
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! Absolutely would live to be pals, thanks so much. Your fitness program (minus crunches) sounds very much like mine, how comforting to find you!! I heard planks and pushups are the way to go for core and chest strength/toning....I will be slowly learning how to get those done, join me :)
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    Fyi,I need to work on stretching as well!and the woods sound lovely, what an awesome thing mfp helps us connect!
  • glassjailer
    glassjailer Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hooray! So pleased to connect with you as well!
    I hear you on the planks and push ups. I'm weaker than I used to be by far. Can only hold the plank for about a minute, and push-ups... unless I'm on my knees, can only do like 3-4. (Groan) ;)

What is your daily routine like? I set myself at lightly active, which seems right for me if I average out my blah days with my super motivated days.

Do you get out into the woods much? Or at least out for a walk? I found that living in a city gave me reason and space to walk for hours long than I do in the country. More things to look at and more streets to explore.

So glad we are pals! Have a great morning!
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Losing 20 pounds to start but could go for more...

Getting toned with circuit style full body weight lifting (1 hour 3 times a week) plus hiit cardio, walking & hiking.

It's working so far!

Also exercise seems to make a big difference compared to just losing weight from diet for me.
  • missarielbaby
    missarielbaby Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 45 pounds and currently working on getting toned. It takes a long time, since you have to build muscle. I've been at it for 8 months, and doing good. I've definitely seen a change once I started toning. Hugest difference is I'm losing no weight, but I can feel I'm getting slimmer. I'm actually getting abs to show and I have that wonderful line down the side of my leg and my *kitten* is perky lol.
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    so glad we're connected - yippee!! :) ps also sent you a pm ;)

thanks Courtney, So glad to hear that walking, hiking and high intensity interval traning (hiit) is working for you! is the hiit you do part of the walking and hiking, or is that a different exercise activity?

wow Ariel 45 lbs that's a great job - congrats!! and i love that you have perky bits (tops and bottoms i hope) ;)

i dream of perky bits,...time will tell whether I'll have the patience & strength to wait for them haha!
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    ps re city walking vs country walking vs hiking? is hiking only hiking if there is elevation gain? lol... anyway, i like country walking as the air tends to be fresher and less noise pollution. i do agree city walking offers distractions, plus generally more people, cars, noise, and pollution (why do drivers feel the need to honk their horns? or why do smokers smoke on sidewalks)? ooops - wrong forum!! ;)
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Cbestinme wrote: »
    so glad we're connected - yippee!! :) ps also sent you a pm ;)

thanks Courtney, So glad to hear that walking, hiking and high intensity interval traning (hiit) is working for you! is the hiit you do part of the walking and hiking, or is that a different exercise activity?

wow Ariel 45 lbs that's a great job - congrats!! and i love that you have perky bits (tops and bottoms i hope) ;)

i dream of perky bits,...time will tell whether I'll have the patience & strength to wait for them haha!

Don't forget the WEIGHT LIFTING- that's my main form of exercise! And the best for getting "perky bits" haha! For now I'm doing full body circuit style weight lifting, but I think once I get to my goal weight I'll probably switch to splits (focusing on just a few muscle groups each workout but by the end of the week all muscles have been worked- rather than working all muscles every workout like I do now).

Walking & hiking is more for fun and it feels good to get moving & I like getting outside & in nature. I feel like it helps my posture too. Hiking with hills/elevation is definitely good for building the bum though.

I do several forms of hiit cardio- I like it because it gets my heart rate up and burns more calories in less time. I also like that some of it is good for toning as well. Here are some of my favorite kinds of hiit cardio:

•At home workouts using body weight exercises and/or plyometric movements. I like the videos from fitnessblender for this, just go to YouTube and search "fitnessblender hiit" or "fitnessblender body weight exercises" and a bunch of videos should pop up.

•Sprint intervals. This can be done on a treadmill or out on a running trail by setting a timer for your intervals. I started with 30 seconds of running/sprinting and 1 minute of walking- repeat for 20 or 30 minutes. Or you can find a running track and walk on the curves and run/sprint on the straight sections- that's my personal favorite when the weather is cooperating. Remember to walk for a few minutes & stretch first before you get started though, and maybe start with jogging or running instead of full out sprints. It takes a while to work up to if you're new to it.

•Stair intervals. These are great and low impact too! All you need is a set of stairs- a large set is best if you have access but a regular flight of stairs will work too. There's some outside stairs on a hill by my house that are 66 steps high so I usually use those. Your high intensity interval is going up the stairs, your low intensity rest period is going back down them. I like to mix it up too- first I'll just jog up the stairs, next I'll walk up 2x2, then jog up sideways facing one direction, then the other, then I'll walk up 2x2 again but lift my leg behind me between each step to work my butt a little more, then repeat. Right now I can do about 5 or 6 sets with a large staircase like that.

That's mostly it. Sometimes I'll add in a little hiit or plyo stuff into my weight workouts- like between circuits or even as part of a circuit I might do some jump squats, or up & overs on a bosu ball, or step ups on a bench or box, that kind of thing.

Have fun whatever you do!!
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    Oh wow thanks so much Courtney it seems you get really moving, wow cool stuff! I do want yo start on fitnessblender exercises. Still working on walking, and building to basic squats, planks and pushups. Keeping it very simple until can be stronger to add more at home stuff.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Cbestinme wrote: »
    Oh wow thanks so much Courtney it seems you get really moving, wow cool stuff! I do want yo start on fitnessblender exercises. Still working on walking, and building to basic squats, planks and pushups. Keeping it very simple until can be stronger to add more at home stuff.

Awesome! Yep sounds like a great start!
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    :)
  • SDB210
    SDB210 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm 6ft tall, I have 14 pounds left to lose (lost 10 so far) and I am not athletic at all! It takes huge effort for me to move my buns! I'm on day 3 of Jillian Michael 30 day shred as well as my own 30 day plank challenge. Got to keep myself motivated! On first glance I look ok (perks of being tall ay?), but I'm a bit "soft" for my liking...especially due to the fact I had a baby 8 months ago.
  • missarielbaby
    missarielbaby Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    SDB210 wrote: »
    Hey, I'm 6ft tall, I have 14 pounds left to lose (lost 10 so far) and I am not athletic at all! It takes huge effort for me to move my buns! I'm on day 3 of Jillian Michael 30 day shred as well as my own 30 day plank challenge. Got to keep myself motivated! On first glance I look ok (perks of being tall ay?), but I'm a bit "soft" for my liking...especially due to the fact I had a baby 8 months ago.

Awe, my baby is 8 months old too. March 2nd! :)

• SDB210
    SDB210 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    SDB210 wrote: »

Awe, my baby is 8 months old too. March 2nd! :)

Ah mine was Feb 29th... leap day baby! Haha